Reginald

Hard Deck vs. Minimum Cutaway Altitude

In another thread there was confusion on these two items. Some people thought they were one in the same, other thought they were different. What is your view and why?

Here’s my opinion:

Hard Deck: 1,800 feet – the altitude if I don’t have a landable main above my head I go to my EP’s.

Min Cutaway Altitude: 1,000 feet – the minimum altitude I would cutaway before deploying my reserve. Below this altitude I probably fire a reserve without cutting away.

What are your thoughts?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

My definitions:

-"Decision" altitude = altitude by which I initiate cutaway procedures if I have an unresolved malfunction. If I identify the malfunction as unrecoverable at a higher altitude, I cutaway at that point (no need to wait until my decision altitude).

-"Do not cutaway below" altitude = the altitude at which I will no longer pull a cutaway handle for any reason (e.g. two canopies out).
Arrive Safely

John

Sometimes there are no wrong/right answers, I have seen someone cutaway far below 1000 and get the reserve out in time, of course they didn’t even have time to un-stow the reserve toggles, pounded in hard - drinking beer at the fire later that night.

Ideally - get a parachute over your head before hitting the ground.

Don’t cutaway below ground level???
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

My hard deck is 2000'. If I havent got a landable canopy over my head, do it now.

My minimum cutaway altitude is 1000'. This is only if something happens to my main below my hard deck, the last chance sort of thing. Like a canopy collision. Some things you just cant control. If I'm below 1000', I'll just put my reserve out and hope for the best.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Sorry if I'm going over any old ground, I haven't read the original thread to which you refer ...

To me, they're the same thing. I have a minimum altitude where, if I find myself needing to cutaway, I will still do it. I aim to never be in that situation though.

Hard Deck? How about "Hard Time" perhaps? An instructor told me once: "If there's someting wrong, and you're still high, try to fix it ... but only once ... then go for the handles".
If I am at, say, 3000ft, and realise there's a high-speed mal, I think "sort this ... NOW!". I don't think "I've got about six seconds/1200ft to fiddle here ...". In a situation like that, I only have one altitude, the highest one possible. No point using up any tolerance. It's there for the unexpected.

Just another point of view. Hope I haven't opened a can of worms, or misread your post. :)
That all said though, not a good idea to rush the decision either! Evaluate what's up before deciding.

- Citizen of the World -

Ok You have a good canopy over your head by your hard deck.

Then...
WHAM!!!!

A jumper tears through your canopy at 1100 feet.

What do you do?

-----This isnt meant to be a flame, just putting up a situation that not everyone thinks of.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

A jumper tears through your canopy at 1100 feet.

ChopSilver with 1/4 beat delay.
I'd probably still do it up to 700ft AGL.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

chop of coarse. 1100 feet ill take my chances that my reserve will open in time. ive seen a canopy collision and chop under 700 feet. it was close but opened with time for a flare, rsl probably helped.
anyway hardeck for me 1800. reason being this, jumping and understanding my aad and main canopy. my main takes around 800 ft to be pressurized, aad's can actvate up to 200 feet higher than the supposed 750 ft depending on body posistion. deploying lower than 1800ft can result in two out very easily. id rather not be dealing with that shit under a 1000ft if at all possible. people should know there gear inside and out. its amazing how many people ive run into in 3 years that have no idea how much altitude lost during opening. and many dont know there aad can fire at 1000 ft if not belly to earth.
know your gear folks!!!
>