pwln

Jump Door Sizes?

Ok, I've searched, here and on a few other web sites and I would like to know the actual size of different jump doors. I'm positive I am forgetting a lot of aircraft, feel free to add on to the list.
DHC-6 -- 50H"x56W" I think?
Caravan
king air
queen air
PAC 750XL --50H"x45W" I think?
Beech 18 Regular door
Beech 18 cargo door (Westwind / Hamilton?)
Casa -- 67"W x 69"H - Floor: 67"W x 69"H x 288"L
Porter
C-182

Yeah, those too.
The C-206 really did not seem any different than a 182 as far as door size went, but it's been a few years since I jumped one.

You didn't put down any sizes, I guess I'll have to go and get measurements from every jump ship I come across. I figured people would know at least some of them.

Not even close. B-17 smaller than a C-130

Wingspan B-17 103' C-130 132'
Length B-17 74' C-130 97'
Max weight B-17 65,500 C-130 155,000

My B-17 jump is one of the top five ever. What was really interesting is how small the thing really is. We had 14 in it and people were sitting everywhere. But also is was amazing thinking about the bomber crews. Flying high in an unpressurized aircraft, for hours and hours. Those fleece coats and boots were survival gear, not for looks. The waist gunners essentially standing next to a big open window fighting for there lives. The tail gunner isolated from others and his parachute.

Gives you new respect for the military of WWII and how they lived, fought and died.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Re: doors on Cessnas

Sorry if I don't have exact numbers, but most of the single-engined Cessna jump planes (170, 172, 180, 182, 185, 205, 206, 207 and 210) have one size of door beside the co-pilot's seat.

Just to mess with you, there are two different door configurations for 206. P206 has a regular door beside the co-pilot's sets, but U206 has a cargo door just aft of the wing on the right side. Cargo door U206 is way easier to get fat tandem students out, but way more difficult to build linked exits for AFF.

Cessna 208 Caravan is a completely different beast, designed to compete with deHavilland Twin Otter, ergo the (left side) cargo door on Caravan is the same size as Twin Otter.

Cessna twins are rare in the skydiving business, and their doors are shorter than King Air.

"Beech 18 Regular door
Beech 18 cargo door (Westwind / Hamilton?)"

There are two different factory-stock doors for Beech 18s.
All the early - and most of the military Beech 18s (C-45) - had a tiny, (race-track) oval door, which helps explain why ten-way speed stars were such a big deal back in the 1970s.
Most of the Beech 18s built after World War Two (1946 to 1960 something) had taller, squared off, air stair doors. Air stair doors are almost as tall as King Air doors and almost as wide. The annoying thing is the four inch lip between the floor and the door sill.

Most of the cargo doors were installed after they left the factory. Most cargo doors start out the same size as air stairs, but extend twice as far aft. The rear door post if about 3/4 as tall as the front door post. The end result is almost as big as a Twin Otter door.

Caravan is the same size as Twin Otter.

The caravan door is a little smaller than the otter door. At least that has been the case with all of the caravan's and otters i have seen.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Cessna U206 Cargo Door opening
width (Top) 43, Width (Bottom) 40, Height (Front) 39 1/4, Height(rear) 37 1/2. 1600 in2 aprox
Cessna 206 Cabin Doors P 206
Width (top) 32 1/2, Width (bottom) 37, Height (front) 41, Height (rear) 39. 1400 in2 aprox