jf951

motorcycle + rig???

has anyone ever riden their bike out to their DZ? how did you go about getting your rig out there?
just wearing it like you normaly would, strapping it down tight and everything?

i assume that 60-80mph winds arent anything new for a rig.

is there anything else that could cause a hazard in doing so?

J
Jump more, Bitch less.

i have no idea about putting it on your back on the way to the dz BUT i cant remember the comany but one of the rig/suit manufactures does covers for your rig so you can fly it in the tunnel

im sure they would work just as well in keeping everything safe while riding your bike

i do it now everytime i go out there. i use this http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p146.asp#GearBag its the bag from square 1, its half-off right now which is awesome. i fit my rig and all my gear in it, and i use cargo straps with a locking beaner at the end of it to secure it to the bike, dont use bungee's, there bad. i go from the rear grab bar around to the passenger pegs, i will post pics next time i set it up, probably sunday or so.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

has anyone ever riden their bike out to their DZ? how did you go about getting your rig out there?

Sure. A 50 liter Givi hard case is a perfect fit for many rigs. An airline carry-on bag is easily bungee netted to the passenger seat. With hard luggage and a bag on the seat you can get two rigs, a tent, sleeping bag, and rain gear to the DZ. Try not to forget the sleeping bag and Thermarest though. While I found sleeping inside my canopy OK the camping setup was a lot more comfortable.

Wheelies are more likely with a rig in a trunk on a rear rack although otherwise it works great.

is there anything else that could cause a hazard in doing so?

If you have a premature deployment, you're going to stop when the bike keeps going.

My helmet was always covered with bug guts, dirt, etc. I don't think I'd want my skydiving gear in that. It's also way more comfortable to ride 200 miles round trip when the gear is on the bike.

I ride a cruiser to the DZ lots. A regular T-bag over the sissy bar holds my rig just fine.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The 1 time that I did wear it to the DZ, I wore the rig.. tucked the pilot chute in REALLY good and then wrapped the rig in a cargo net to keep everything nice and tight. What I found though is that my body was tired from the ride and my jump was not nearly as enjoyable as riding in a car. ( I dont have a wind screen on my bike, so I was fighting the wind the whole ride) I have no plans of riding to the DZ again soon/at least until I get a windscreen for the bike. Good luck/blues/soft landings
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

I agree that putting it in the side/rear cases works best. If you have to wear it or strap it down to the back seat, I'd cover it if possible to keep the wind out. I've also heard of people pulling the cutaway so if they get a deployment, it won't pull them off the bike - just don't forget to reset it!!! :o

I'm two-wheels-only, so, I always go to the dropzone via bike... I do everything by bike. :)
Not that I own my own rig yet, but, if I were to transport something like that I'd use this camping bag I own: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/MotoFizz-Camping-Seat-Bags-Small-Medium--Large-p-16405.html

It's expandable, wights little, and even on my CBR it's little additional drag. Fully expanded the large one would easily fit a rig, helmet, jumpsuit, change of shoes, change of clothes, small tent, small sleeping bag, and probably have room for a case of beer. I've had Givi bags on my CBR before and this is just so much more versatile. It's biggest drawback is that it doesn't lock.

When my gear is not in my locker at the DZ, I have it in the gear bag and strap it to the back seat on my bike. I have worn the gear bag on my bike but I get tired pretty fast that way. Just like anything make sure it's not going to move around and you will be fine.

I ride a 07 VT600CD (Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe). Last Saturday sucked pretty good with that 30+mph crosswind the whole way to the DZ.

I've found that my gear (stored in a gear bag) straps onto my bike much easier when I have my Givi Bags(saddle bags) on. The bags give me a wider platform to strap the gear bag to. It works, but it takes away from the ride. I like keeping the bike light so I can toss it around.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

A buddy of mine wears his rig on his bike from Santa Monica out to Elsinore (about 80 or 90 miles) all the time. Not sure what bike it is but its pretty dam big..

I was amazed that he just wore the rig, no gear bag no nothing. Only thing special he does is stuff the hackey (its the ball type, like a hackey sack) all the way into the pilot chute pouch.

I don't ride (way too dangerous imo) but seems ballsy (dumb?) as hell to me (what my buddy does with his rig) but it can be done safely from what I can tell...
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

You could always do what a buddy did years ago... he used a ballpoint pen in the main closing loop and wore the rig. Naturally Murphy was watching and laughing.. he arrived at the dz, was asked on an 8 way already dirt diving, threw on his rig and had a great skydive until pull time. Need I say reserve ride? Put it in a gear bag.