chrismgtis

Serious issues breathing last few jumps

I've got 110 jumps and have never had this problem. The last maybe 3 jumps I've had serious issues being able to breath.

I used a full face for about the past 80-90 jumps and sold my full face because I can't use it with glasses. So I'm using an open face now.

I talked to an instructor and he said I'm probably just holding my breath and not relaxing.

The weirdest little problems I have on jumps. :P
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

well its not that you are just simply holding your breath.

I have this problem on a regular basis. I'm not sure what the real cause is or why some people have it and some dont. Sometimes tandem students have the same problem.

Here are a couple of things i have found out about it and tried.

1. It happens to me alot more in the winter than summer. My guess is that the air is so much colder that it is shocking my lungs much more extremely. Also I have more sinus trouble in the winter. Anything that is effecting the efficiency of your lungs is bound to be a contributing factor to this. If I wear a balclava over my mouth it greatly reduces the chance of this happening to me. This tells me that it is primarily the shock of the cold air hitting my lungs and face. Kind of like jumping into cold water. It takes your breathe.

2. Sounds silly but I find that if you exhale on exit it helps. That way you arent starting the skydive with a big gasp of cold. The best way to exhale on exit is to let out a little scream. My theory is that by the time you inhale your body is a little acclimated to the temp.

3. I've also tried breathing through my nose and keeping my mouth closed. Sometimes this works for me. I guess because the volume of Cold air that I take in through my nose is way less than what I breathe in through my mouth.

Since it happened as soon as you exposed your face to the wind. I would say thats its definately the cold water effect. Try screaming then taking in a slow breathe NOT GASPING. it works for me
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

You know the baclava thing is a great idea. I completely forgot that I gotten one a while back to use during the winter time. I never even used it. I guess I'll start.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

sometimes as the day proceeds I stop having trouble. I dont know if I get used to it or what? But the first jump of the day I almost always have a little trouble.

good luck with it. If you discover any new tricks about it let me know.

Like I said you can also try to control your breathing to keep from gasping
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

well its not that you are just simply holding your breath.

I have this problem on a regular basis. I'm not sure what the real cause is or why some people have it and some dont. Sometimes tandem students have the same problem.

Here are a couple of things i have found out about it and tried.

1. It happens to me alot more in the winter than summer. My guess is that the air is so much colder that it is shocking my lungs much more extremely. Also I have more sinus trouble in the winter. Anything that is effecting the efficiency of your lungs is bound to be a contributing factor to this. If I wear a balclava over my mouth it greatly reduces the chance of this happening to me. This tells me that it is primarily the shock of the cold air hitting my lungs and face. Kind of like jumping into cold water. It takes your breathe.

2. Sounds silly but I find that if you exhale on exit it helps. That way you arent starting the skydive with a big gasp of cold. The best way to exhale on exit is to let out a little scream. My theory is that by the time you inhale your body is a little acclimated to the temp.

3. I've also tried breathing through my nose and keeping my mouth closed. Sometimes this works for me. I guess because the volume of Cold air that I take in through my nose is way less than what I breathe in through my mouth.

Since it happened as soon as you exposed your face to the wind. I would say thats its definately the cold water effect. Try screaming then taking in a slow breathe NOT GASPING. it works for me

Great advise thanks ! Exactly the same thing happened to my friend on her 1st tandem jump on Sunday... we were discussing last night what type of mask she could wear to help her breath... I think a lot of it was due to it being 'all new' & at least on her next jump she knows what to expect :)

I think a lot of it was due to it being 'all new' & at least on her next jump she knows what to expect :)

I have a load of full-face jumps too (>150). When I did a freefall with an open face helmet a couple of jumps ago I was surprised to encounter the same thing. It stopped when i realised that it was the wind on my face that i was not accustomed to anymore.

Just relax and breathe. It worked for me :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I think a lot of it was due to it being 'all new' & at least on her next jump she knows what to expect :)

I have a load of full-face jumps too (>150). When I did a freefall with an open face helmet a couple of jumps ago I was surprised to encounter the same thing. It stopped when i realised that it was the wind on my face that i was not accustomed to anymore.

Just relax and breathe. It worked for me :)

My experience was the opposite. I jumped an open face for 1700 jumps and finally switch to a full face just recently. The first couple jumps felt very clastopobic and like someone was smoothering me. It's all about what you are used to. Give it a bit and you'll get used to the change.

I have seen that problem with hundreds of students who instinctively look straight down and open their mouths. Then their mouths scoop too much air and they gag.
So my tandem ground school always includes reminders to keep their chins up and breath through their noses.
I also joke about nose breathing during the airplane ride.

Progressive Freefall Instructors use a variety of breathing exercise to help students relax in freefall.

PFF exit count includes "breath in, breath out, breath in (while rocking forward, breath out (while leaving airplane).
We also encourage students to yell out altitudes. Yes, yelling reminds them to breath,but it also forces them to "process" a number, burning it into longer term memory.
With especially nervous students,, we tell them to start every new maneuver with gently blowing out. Breathing out helps relax stomach muscles and improves the arch.

Progressive Freefall Instructors use a variety of breathing exercise to help students relax in freefall.

PFF exit count includes "breath in, breath out, breath in (while rocking forward, breath out (while leaving airplane).
We also encourage students to yell out altitudes. Yes, yelling reminds them to breath,but it also forces them to "process" a number, burning it into longer term memory.
With especially nervous students,, we tell them to start every new maneuver with gently blowing out. Breathing out helps relax stomach muscles and improves the arch.

I really like laughing. :)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I have seen that problem with hundreds of students who instinctively look straight down and open their mouths. Then their mouths scoop too much air and they gag.
So my tandem ground school always includes reminders to keep their chins up and breath through their noses.

Another effective technique is to hike up your sleeves a bit so you can absorb oxygen through your skin. In fact, on naked jumps there's usually no need to breath breathe at all. Which comes in handy.

I had the same problem on my first tandem! I wasnt looking down because I was staring at the camera man but I remember feeling like there was so much air flying up my nose that I couldnt breath as well as I wouldve liked to. I did a second tandem that day and since then, I have graduated AFF and done a solo and I haven't had a problem with breathing since. I think, for me, it was just the craziness of my first skydive. It was pretty overwhelming.

Another effective technique is to hike up your sleeves a bit so you can absorb oxygen through your skin. In fact, on naked jumps there's usually no need to breath breathe at all. Which comes in handy.

LOL :P
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I've got 110 jumps and have never had this problem. The last maybe 3 jumps I've had serious issues being able to breath.

I used a full face for about the past 80-90 jumps and sold my full face because I can't use it with glasses. So I'm using an open face now.

I talked to an instructor and he said I'm probably just holding my breath and not relaxing.

The weirdest little problems I have on jumps. :P

Stop Smoking ;)

jk!