peregrinerose

Scott Doyle BASE injury

I haven't seen anything on here yet about Scott, but he was badly injured in a BASE incident a little over a week ago and remains in a coma in Twin Falls. Scott taught my first jump course almost 6 years ago and his wife Steph is still my idol as an AFF instructor, she's amazing.

They are trying to raise the money for a medical flight back home to MD, which is not covered by insurance, for once Scott is stable enough for travel.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyID=90421 is a news story.

http://stephdoyle.wordpress.com/ is Steph's blog where she's been incredible about giving updates on his condition.

http://www.mcffpipesanddrums.org/ is the web site to make donations through if you are so inclined.

Scott and Steph are great people and deserve all the support they can get right now.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Scott and Steph are great people and deserve all the support they can get right now.

Thanks for posting! And I second that one. For anyone who doesn't know Scott & Steph, they really are great people and we could use a lot more people like them in our community!
So help out if you can!

Also - just to add to Jen's post, Scott has a day job serving his community as a firefighter and paramedic.

Please keep them in your thoughts, I know a lot of us are.

Why the rush to bring him home? Inadequate medical car where he is? I understand the desire to be closer to home, but at $20K for the ride, unless the proper care isn't available (in which case travel to where care is available should be covered), why do that?

It also occurs to me that if someone is in such a condition that it costs $20K to move them, maybe best not to move them.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

My impression is that they are only going to move him when he is medically stable enough to do so. Brain injuries like his take a very long time to come back from... months to years. It's not practical for his wife to be separated from him, nor good for him to be separated from her if she goes back to work. It's expensive for his family to keep flying over... a $20,000 plane ride is still a great deal less expensive than trying to coordinate cross country trips frequently as he's healing up.

The rest of his body is perfectly fine, his only injury is the brain injury, from what Steph has posted.

There's no 'rush' to bring him home, but $20,000 will take time to raise, and it's better to have the money ready to go, than be trying to raise it last minute later.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda