NiteQwill

1st pack job

I know one registered dzer that the OP is gonna buy beer for; ;)

You still doing your check dive tomorrow?

I am a bit short on cash this week so I wasnt gonna jump but then I realized people lived for thousands of years without electricity in their homes, so I have re-allocated some funds and I can now jump tomorrow!

"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Yes, unassisted.:$ The only pointer was, "Would you jump that thing? Well, you'll find out soon, get on the plane." :o

nice, congrats ... I did my packing class on Friday and after a bloody hour of packing the chute my answer to the question was "fuck no" :( LOL ... it was just horrible, I "think" it would have opened. I am determined to pack and jump my own pack job this week, cause I need to get that signed off my A card ...

PS: out of curiousity, wot size are you packing?

cheers
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

I did my packing class on Friday and after a bloody hour of packing the chute my answer to the question was "fuck no" :( LOL ... it was just horrible, I "think" it would have opened. I am determined to pack and jump my own pack job this week, cause I need to get that signed off my A card ...

Packing is not just an annoyance to earning your A license. It's teaching you how to pack your main for life. If you will just persist and do another half dozen pack jobs, you will never worry about them again. You will be set free to do your own packing and stop wasting money on a servant class that has been created at dropzones.

Or you can just get your A and be one more fuckoff skydiver who doesn't understand how their equipment works. (NOT a PA, just the truth and not directed at anyone in particular).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I know what you mean! I jumped my pack job on jump number 13 (and yes, I bought beer!)

Packing that 260, I looked like a monkey fucking a football! That thing took me a sold hour and 20 to pack, but it worked like a charm! :)
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

True true! I pack for myself a lot, but sometimes I'm just lazy and pay a packer:|...But I always leave the DZ with my main unpacked.

A packer will pack your shit and usually give you a nice opening, but they're not going to inspect your slinks, untwist your brake lines, check to see if your kill line is starting to fray, check how that 120mph tape is holding up....

Every experienced jumper should be 100% confident in packing their shit, and at least once in a while should use packing as a chance to give their rig a thorough once-over. Plus, it gives you something skydive-related to do on a Tuesday night (besides post-whoring on the dz.com).

I came from a Cessna DZ and two things that still seem real strange to me after spending a good bit of time on turbine DZ's:

1:People who don't know how to spot/are scared to get out of a plane below 2500' (unless particular gear is a real concern)
2:people with hundreds of jumps who approach packing their own main as a major problem:S

I got nuthin

1:People who don't know how to spot/are scared to et out of a plane below 2500' (unless particular gear is a real concern)

Sorry - pet peeve of mine.

Define 'scared'. I won't get out of a plane below 2500 feet, or even 3500 if I can help it.
I've heard the BS argument

that it is something every [newly licenced] skydiver must have done once, so that you know what it's like and won't be as scared when you have to get out at that altitide because of an engine malfunction.

What's the added value of exiting 1000 feet lower than 3500 feet (C&P requirement) except that the jumper is 1000 feet closer to their hard deck and thus will have to cutaway their ten linetwists immediately?
Since I have 250 exits by now (most of them stable) I am convinced that I can exit stable and safely from 2500 ft. But why should I want to?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

It actually got worse - I'm now afraid to exit higher than 9k and lower than 6k - C&P only, obviously. All the way down I am so afraid that I want to have someone close by (say ten feet or closer) for moral support.[:/]

EDIT: what about you? Are you able to get stable yet or are you still freeflailing?:ph34r:

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

You two guys are hilarious!
:D:D:D

Worried about getting OUT of the plane? Hell, I worry when I get on the damn thing. Getting out can't be done quickly enough.
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

True true! I pack for myself a lot, but sometimes I'm just lazy and pay a packer:|...But I always leave the DZ with my main unpacked.

A packer will pack your shit and usually give you a nice opening, but they're not going to inspect your slinks, untwist your brake lines, check to see if your kill line is starting to fray, check how that 120mph tape is holding up....

Every experienced jumper should be 100% confident in packing their shit, and at least once in a while should use packing as a chance to give their rig a thorough once-over. Plus, it gives you something skydive-related to do on a Tuesday night (besides post-whoring on the dz.com).

I came from a Cessna DZ and two things that still seem real strange to me after spending a good bit of time on turbine DZ's:

1:People who don't know how to spot/are scared to get out of a plane below 2500' (unless particular gear is a real concern)
2:people with hundreds of jumps who approach packing their own main as a major problem:S

Good stuff, Lippy!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

the freeflailing got worse, i'm turning on my head every now and then too.. think i'll mount a camera to my head now too, might pull it down more, easier.. :P

so, i'm collecting canopies, u're collecting hook-knives now!? :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda