slyder2412

Rules reguarding being off current status since fall

Hello everyone. I have 23 jumps and have not done the packing class yet for my A license. I haven't jumped since November and just went to the DZ today to do my refresher and a jump(did refresher but couldn't jump).

I thought the rule was, after graduating AFF status and then not jumping for 30 days I get brought back for a refresher(on the ground) and my LAST AFF level. (only one level)

The owner wants to charge me for a refresher, AFF4, and AFF8. Reaping significantly more money. The other guy in my refresher who has not jumped for close to 3 years was assigned the same requirements as I was.

Am I mistaken in the understanding that I'd only need to perform ONE AFF level and then I can go back onto Solo status? I have a hunch they are trying to get additional money out of my pocket; the AFF4 cost me $175 and refresher was $75. Now on top of that i need AFF8 which is another +100 dollars. I'm going tomorrow for an AFF jump, so i'd love if I could get some feedback before I dish out any more cash. Thank you for your time.

S.IM. 5-2: Recurrency Training

Contents:
A. Students
B. Licensed skydivers
C. Changes in procedures
D. Long lay-offs

A. Students

Students who have not jumped within the preceding 30 days should make at least one jump under the direct supervision of an appropriately rated USPA Instructor.

I would inquire politely why the DZ requiring the additional level.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

yep, the guidelines are "at least one", it is up to the DZ to decide

without knowing anything about your proficeincy, I'd do an AFF jump and then decide the next step, it would be at least a coach jump
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Ok. so then i need only ONE jump, but the DZ can decide three AFF's if they so please?

Would I be out of line repeating the following such statement. "I understand that the USPA only requires that I completely a single AFF jump and then I can be put back on solo status. I simply don't have the money to dish out for anything other than the actual skydiving requirements". "If I'm forced to pay for a jump that I don't technically need, I will have to start jumping at a different DZ."

This is not to say that I'll never pay for a coach jump(only when i have the money to do so) but mainly about, it being MY decision whether I'm comfortable jumping solo or desire another AFF jump because I'm still uncomfortable. By them forcing undesired payments on me to increase their income, that's unethical.

free country, you can say anything but so can they, like "see ya"

it is purposefully left open to allow an instructor to evaluate the students performance, the instructor will then decide the next step

at this point the student is not capable of determining what is safe or unsafe, a student saying, "I've done a recurrency AFF and am now comfortable to jump solo" would not work

the concern (in this case) would be how much have you forgotten from your previous training and jumps, and making only 1 jump may not provide sufficient opportunity to make that determination

again if I was the instructor: first AFF recurrency training and an AFF jump then, depending on how you performed, some type of second jump

in most if not all cases a jumper with only 23 jumps with a 6 month layoff needs training and close observation, it is not just jump numbers but how recent were those jumps, what type of jumps and how well did they perform on those jumps

go read your training material, review the SIM, watch some video, do a lot of ground prep and get very prepared, it will show in your performance
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

my opinion is they
A. are trying to gouge you
or
B. they have joined the 'nanny' state

for the 3 year guy, depending on # jumps, it is either
too little (same jumps as you)
just right
or way to much (300+ jumps ?)

in northern climes, a 6 month lay-off is not so unusual..
I could see them requiring 1 'Coaching' jump (a lot cheaper for you) and would grumble at 1 AFF, but not too loudly ... but 2 seems excessive to me...

try some other dropzone, see what they offer...

Bill ...the thing is that, they are asking me to do TWO jumps off the bat. I COMPLETELY agree, that if that first AFF recurrence jump exhibited that I was not able to do solos, then i would HOPE they would be frank with me and I'd even agree on doing more coach jumps.

But the point is that without even seeing me perform, they've already signed 2 AFF jumps to me, which appears they aren't looking out for my safety but looking out for getting my money.

Bill ...the thing is that, they are asking me to do TWO jumps off the bat. I COMPLETELY agree, that if that first AFF recurrence jump exhibited that I was not able to do solos, then i would HOPE they would be frank with me and I'd even agree on doing more coach jumps.

But the point is that without even seeing me perform, they've already signed 2 AFF jumps to me, which appears they aren't looking out for my safety but looking out for getting my money.

I agree with that perception

so going back to what someone else posted, go back and in a nice way, ask them if it would be acceptable to meet the required performance goals in one jump, and ask them if there are any specific concerns, hopefully they will have a good answer other than - "that is just the way we do it"

find out what the requirements are and go prepare