mitch8lem

Skydiver over 250 pounds

Hello,
I am truely looking at taking my AFF training through my local DZ in MN. However they do not acommodate anyone over the 220 pound weight limit. I am wondering if there are any DZ that would rent me student gear for my first couple of jumps or if anyone had any other suggestions. My DZ said if I bought gear of a 0.9 or 1.0 they will train me. Would you recommend? Anyone witha any big boy gear for sale?

Funny thing is my bicep is probably about as big as your thigh. I don't need your smartass remarks. Save your time.

this is why this site is useless....... you can't even ask a damn question without some asshole talking smack..... but ill help you, im 6'4" 258lbs not fat, built. Come to Lodi in california we can accomidate you.....The person I recived instruction from a while back had no problems with my size or weight and they even have rental gear in your size.. (and most of it is for sale) you will want to buy your own gear eventually though.... Pm me if you want more info....

Funny thing is my bicep is probably about as big as your thigh. I don't need your smartass remarks. Save your time.

this is why this site is useless....... you can't even ask a damn question without some asshole talking smack..... but ill help you, im 6'4" 258lbs not fat, built. Come to Lodi in california we can accomidate you.....The person I recived instruction from a while back had no problems with my size or weight and they even have rental gear in your size.. (and most of it is for sale) you will want to buy your own gear eventually though.... Pm me if you want more info....

Win

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Man you guys are are being way too sensitive about your weight!!

What I was trying to say was that is would be much easier to drop down to 220 lbs than to have to buy gear or have travel across country for training.

Or stop wasting time lifting weights and become a skydiver instead (and save money). :P

When I became a skydiver, I quit going to the gym. It was costing me $30 a month I could use on a skydive. :D

But they are right, it's either too much exercise or too little. Doesn't mean your fat. My older brother is 37 and weighs 220+ (maybe 230 or so?). He isn't fat, but he is built a bit.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

C'mon out to Utah. We can accomodate you. it's not just the gear. at an exit weight pushing 300lbs, many instructors can't hang with you.

Isn't most, (if not all) solo gear TSOd to an exit weight of 254 lbs? (except tandem rigs of course)

Or maybe Im wrong ;)

First, your DZ is to be applauded for following the rules regarding weight and in possibly knowing their Instructors' limitations on weight and size. It's no different than knowing your limitations on a tandem. For example, I can't take you out the door, but I can take up to 200 lbs.

Having said that, I can assure you that numerous DZs across the country are set up to help you out. From Skydive Chicago to Skydive Spaceland (Houston) and from Lodi to Z-hills (Florida). Use the "Dropzone" tab at the top to start calling. Good luck.

I remember when "most" skydivers were former military and >6' and over 200# (Well, except you Wendy).
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Almost all the student gear I've ever seen has a maximum use weight of 254 lbs. That's your weight and all the equipment weight combined (25+lbs).

Do not let anyone tell you that it will be OK for you to jump a rig just because it "fits". Ensure you have safe equipment that is going to serve you well when everything else is going wrong.

Your options include a modified tandem rig, surplus military gear, and perhaps one or two options you could purchase from a major manufacturer.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

you are/will be likely outside the TSO'd weight limits of the gear.

if you get hurt, the dropzone could and probably will be liable for that simple fact. Hence why most places will not take you.

Just because you find a place willing to train you does not actually make it safe to do so.

100lb people do not play pro football and 300lb people do not skydive.

100lb people do not play pro football and 300lb people do not skydive.

Right. It's hard when reality suppresses our dreams, drives and desires.

And the insensitive guy who first replied has a good message that was lost in the delivery.

Check with your doctor. Your age, height and general health matter. Give up weight training, if you're lifting. Take up a daily aerobic exercise routine. Walk and/or run, calisthenics, swimming. Modify your diet so you are eating low-fat, high protein foods (skinless chicken, lean beef, beans). Avoid fried foods, sugar (including soda, kool-aid, etc.), butter, mayo, etc., and 'bad' carbs like bread and pasta (eat whole grain brown rice and fresh potatoes). Eat lots of fresh veggies. Give up alcohol and drink lots of water. Plain ol' water. It's hard to give up beer ;) but worth it in the end.

The change in diet and exercise will make you feel tons better in general and the associate weight loss that you will probably experience will put you at a good skydiving weight. Unless you're jacked like Arnold used to be, 250 is probably too much weight. How tall are you? Even if you're 6'4", 210 can be a great, if not ideal, weight.

Think
Good luck!
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Skydiving is easier when you're skinny, period.:)

Sure - we'll put all the skinny folks in the base and see how that works. ;)

Seriously, John - I know you're right, but we of athletic build are good, too! B|
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Skydiving is easier when you're skinny, period.:)

unless you try to do belly rw with me.:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

My RW suit is a wingsuit.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)