ToTheTop

Need advice for attaching chem lights for night jumps

Why are you putting chem lights on your jumpsuit?

Unsolicited advice following....

The only light required is the strobe visible 360 for 3 miles after opening. Hing this on a lanyard below your feet so you don't see it and ruin your night vision. Deploy after opening. Throw over shoulder to shorten for landing.

For other jumpers to see in freefall the best thing I came up with was one chem light on my Protec mounted with rubber bands through the vent holes. This still screws up the night vision of others but is out of your sight. And lights up the main enough to know what is going on. The other resonable option I've used is to put one on your main riser. This might let you find a cutaway canopy.

For your altimeter, I made small led battery lights that super velcro to the side. Or small fishing lure chem lights with clear tape. Or nothing. I usually can read mine by moon light.

Thats all you really need IMHO. Everything else is bogus. If you can see your handles standing outside in the moon light you'll be able to see them in the air. It's not any darker up there.;)

Okay, all done.... Gaffer tape or tack them on with something with a reasonable breaking strength in case of entanglement.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of atatching the chem lights to each leg of my jumpsuite so that other jumpers could see me better. i like the idea of putting one on your helment so you can see your canopy better after opening. A lot of people have said that its a good idea to tape a flash light to your helment. I think the chem light idea is much better. I also bought a whistle that I'll wear around my neck under my jumpsuite.

I was thinking of atatching the chem lights to each leg of my jumpsuite so that other jumpers could see me better. i like the idea of putting one on your helment so you can see your canopy better after opening.

Right! Just because one light is all that is required by FAA rules, doesn't mean that more lights are unnecessary. The better other jumpers in the air can see you, the more safe you shall be.

Keep in mind that lights on the front of your legs won't be seen by people behind you. So if you're going to tape them to your legs, put one on the front of one leg, and one on the back of the other leg. That way you'll be visible from just about any angle.

Here is how it is done in the military and its worked fine for me for over 20 years so far.

Back of the helmet: 2 Green chem lights and a strobe. Gaffers tape or 100 mph tape works great for this. Just make sure you can turn the strobe on once it is taped and crack the chem lights right before exit during your gear check.

(Optional) Right rear riser: With 1/4" cotton webbing or similar material, tie a GREEN chem light so that it is on the back side of the right rear riser when the canopy is open.

Right rear leg: With 1/4" cotton webbing or similar material, tie a GREEN chem light(1 or 2) so that it is on the back side of the right rear calf. You can also tape it down so it doesn't flap around. Again, crack it right before exit.

Front of body, chest strap: Using rubber bands, affix a RED chem light horizontally to the chest strap. You can also attach it to the main lift web with rubber bands if having it on the chest strap doesn't work for you.

Rule of thumb: Green chem lights are only used on the BACK of the jumper and on the altimeter. RED chemlights are only used on the FRONT of the jumper. If all jumpers follow this rule of thumb, you can tell if you are flying in the same direction as the person in front of you because you should only see green chemlights and the blinking strobe. If you are flying AT another jumper you should see the RED chemlight(s). Having the strobe on the back of your helmet ensures that it doesn't blind you and that it also will illuminate the canopy above you somewhat so others can see you. Only turn the strobe light on once you are under canopy.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

good advice, thanks. You would think that it would be a good idea if uspa adopted some of the military chem light rules or suggestions (which ever they are) for night jumps. Red means somebody is flying at you ( prepare to avoid) and green away from you. It could alleviate some confusion during night jumps especially at larger drop zones with many more jumpers in the air.

Gaffer Tape.

As long as you don't leave it on something for days at a time, it removes without leaving a mess.

Oh hell, I used gaffer's tape for an emergency gripper repair, then forgot about it and ran it through the wash a couple times before finally taking it back to my jumpsuit manufacturer for repair several months later ... it still came right off. It's magic. B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Also, cover your chem lights with gaffers tape. Fold the end into a tab. You can quickly remove in the plane at the door so your friend's night vision is not harmed by the lights on the entire way up in the aircraft.

I have used clear packaging tape before to tie to body parts and other things I don't mind a slight amount of residue on. You can tape over the entire light to make them snag proof, yet the light still goes thru the clear tape.

High quality electrical tape will not leave a residue if removed same day. It works nicely too as it stretches tight whereas gaff tape is basically a fabric tape with no stretch.