mitch8lem

sport vs student gear

Hello, I am new to skydiving and looking towards starting my AFF training next week. My local DZ doesn't have student gear to support my weight of about 260 pounds. I am looking at buying a rig from a local. The main is a firebolt and the reserve is an angelfire both by jumpshack. The main is a 290, modified tandem. Do you think this set up will be OK for a first timer? What is the lowest size you think I should go? Thanks.

I suggest that you discuss this with a rigger as well. You mention nothing about the harness. At your weight your "exit weight" MAY exceed the legal weight limit of the harness (depending on which harness you are considering).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

There are other dz's that may have a big boy rig for you. It may be cheaper to take a vacation and travel to that location than it is to buy (and probly modify) a sport rig. Call around and see if that might be a better, more cost effective, alternative.

It'd be a bummer to make one jump and decide this sport isn't for you after you've bought and modified a rig??$$$$$
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Student gear is sport gear, just usually more docile, easier to land, and with some different features. And Tandem gear isn't exactly "sport" gear either. But I know what you mean.

Hopefully someone has talked to you about the modifications and maintainence needed on the rig if you buy it. Talk with an experienced rigger AND the harness/container manufacturer to see if the modifications required by your DZ can be made, and the cost. You might seek the advice of an uninterested party as to the gear and it's price to make sure someone isn't seeing an eager student with deep pockets.

Unless it's already been set up for student use 'next week' seems kind of fast to have it ready. Not necessarily hard if a full time rigger is available and all the parts are in stock.

The travel plan might be best, at least for your first jump. A few thousand dollars for you first jump seems like a lot to me.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE