npgraphicdesign

Damn Cypres servicing!

>:(
Just found out that my cypres had to be sent back to Germany to complete the 4 year service, since for some reason they couldn't do it here in the US. That means instead of getting my within the next week or so, now I have to wait an extra 3-4 weeks minimum. Crap!!! >:([:/]

Anyone want to loan me a rig for a month or so? ;)

funny, one I sent them a week ago had the same disease :

" As a result of testing and data analysis performed
at SSK, it was necessary to ship this unit to Airtec in
Germany on 05/27/2009, as the repairs or updates to prepare
this CYPRES for the next four years of use were too
extensive to be performed here. Although this CYPRES
presently performs properly, some parameters were outside
Airtec's stringent limits during extreme condition testing.

Airtec attempts to complete the work as soon as possible,
however, as artificial aging on new components is required,
as well as a repeat of all stress and calibration tests,
(plus shipping to/from Germany), expect a 4-6 week delay in
return date.

There is no additional cost for this additional service, it
is simply part of the maintenance system that helps ensure
reliable operation until the next scheduled date.

Thank you for your understanding, and sorry for the delay.
"

I don't know how your rigger works, but I will always close the rig up without the AAD and then install it for free when it gets back. No reason to stop jumping just because the Cypres isn't in it......
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

funny, one I sent them a week ago had the same disease :

" As a result of testing and data analysis performed
at SSK, it was necessary to ship this unit to Airtec in
Germany on 05/27/2009, as the repairs or updates to prepare
this CYPRES for the next four years of use were too
extensive to be performed here. Although this CYPRES
presently performs properly, some parameters were outside
Airtec's stringent limits during extreme condition testing.

Airtec attempts to complete the work as soon as possible,
however, as artificial aging on new components is required,
as well as a repeat of all stress and calibration tests,
(plus shipping to/from Germany), expect a 4-6 week delay in
return date.

There is no additional cost for this additional service, it
is simply part of the maintenance system that helps ensure
reliable operation until the next scheduled date.

Thank you for your understanding, and sorry for the delay.
"

That's the same email my rigger got. WTH is it suppose to mean? Maybe some more details could be obtained by calling them? ;)

Electronic devices often move out of tolerable ranges in four or more years. This is not unique to Cypres units. You see it in car electronics, thermostats, radios, and more. Although inconvenient, it might be a good thing to keep a life saving device within stringent tolerances. The variability of performance in all electronic devices is to be expected. It makes me wonder about Cypres competitors who don’t require periodic checks. I too had a Cypres require service in Germany about seven years ago. I rented one from my rigger while it was out and the service adjustment gave me piece of mind.

Electronic devices often move out of tolerable ranges in four or more years. This is not unique to Cypres units. You see it in car electronics, thermostats, radios, and more. Although inconvenient, it might be a good thing to keep a life saving device within stringent tolerances. The variability of performance in all electronic devices is to be expected. It makes me wonder about Cypres competitors who don’t require periodic checks. I too had a Cypres require service in Germany about seven years ago. I rented one from my rigger while it was out and the service adjustment gave me piece of mind.

So, the Cypres is an electronic life saving device that lays dormant for periods of time and then must read many parameters correctly to operate at the precise time it is needed.

When is the last time you sent your car's Air Bag back for testing?

Mike Mullins

The last three times the warning light caming on that there was a malfunction. There just used to be more service locations for Dodge than Airtec. Maybe not so much anymore.:P

There are also probably a much larger number of Dodge cars/trucks on the road then Cypres AAD's in use in the world...

but the service time and requirements can be frustrating... I just got mine back late last week from it's from it's 4 year inspection... it didn't have to be sent to Germany but I had to wait a few days to pick it up because Thursday and Friday were German holiday's and Monday was a holiday here int the US...

I am luck that for the moment SSK is more or less just down the street from my local dz...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

...It makes me wonder about Cypres competitors who don’t require periodic checks...

I think this is the basic fallacy of the "self-test" units. If the basic testing parameters are off, how can you trust it to tell you when it is malfunctioning? That is the point of bench testing a unit against set laboratory standards rather than internal parameters.

Of course, many people don't think of this, they want the lowest price and a green light that says "GO".:S

Kevin K.

While you take impeccable care of your aircraft, how often do you have its systems checked within a twelve-year period?

I have my car inspected annually, whether it needs repair or not.

As with the percussion detonation mechanism of an airbag, I have little doubt that the percussion cutter of an AAD would not fail when detonated. As I said before, it’s the electronic systems that trigger detonation that may be prone to failure outside of tolerable ranges. I’ve seen many cars with the airbag light on, which only needed to be reset, not repaired. My car has a faulty dash cluster module and periodically, all my gauges go haywire. Despite what my gauges read, I know I’m not doing 120 at over 7 grand RPM.

On the other hand, I’ve driven cars without airbags for years and to tell you the truth, I have no problem driving older cars without them now. Just as many skydivers choose to jump without AAD’s for one reason or another. To each his own, although I wish one of my buddies had one when he struck the tail of a King Air.

While I’m sure all AAD’s are well made, personally, I like having my Cypres checked every four years.

Borrow a rig? You know, it is possible to still jump without the electronic security blanket.

Use to be that no one would do RW with you if you wore an AAD. An early selling point of the Cypres was that the control unit was hidden under the reserve flap so no one could tell you had one. Times change.

CDR

Borrow a rig? You know, it is possible to still jump without the electronic security blanket.

Also note that many riggers charge at most a nominal fee to install a Cypres in a rig they originally packed.

You can get your rig repacked, jump it for as long as it takes, and drop your rig off the Monday after your Cypres gets back to have it re-installed for $15 so you'll be ready for the next weekend without having to bribe your rigger for the rush job.

I lost a close friend to a bag lock malfunction. His Cypress had just been mailed out for its maintenance so he jumped without it. Yeah, I know, shit happens but this was terribly ironic.

I used to own 2 Cypress's. Now I own 2 Vigils.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video