chrismgtis

Balloon Jump (didn't get out)

I'm not stressing this at all, I mean whatever. I got to ride in a balloon, but I basically got up, the two other guys jumped and I just couldn't get myself to move.

Dunno what the deal was, but my nerves were going ape. I've jumped the heli and 4 or 5 different planes, but that balloon was scaring the hell out of me. I guess having two hop and pops didn't help.

Yea, I'm afraid of heights, but normally it's as easy as just stepping out. Something about having to climb over the edge was freaking me out.

I think it's funny. Whatever.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I was a little nervous on the climb out on my ballon jump too until someone said, "what do you think is going to happen, that you're going to fall out?" I felt like a dope then, so I jumped, but I understand what you mean!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was a little nervous on the climb out on my ballon jump too until someone said, "what do you think is going to happen, that you're going to fall out?" I felt like a dope then, so I jumped, but I understand what you mean!

I was telling myself the same thing. I kept just taking breaths and trying to relax, but it wasn't happening. :P

Next time I'll just close my eyes and flip over the edge. B|

Dunno what the deal is but the past year the fear has just been a lot harder to deal with for some reason. The first year I was jumping I barely had any.

I see this all the time. Jumpers with hundreds of jumps shaking in their boots on the edge of the basket. I told one guy "Just step off and you be in freefall and be happy." He stepped off and a big smile hit his face.

Most of us have no problem climbing out of a moving Twin Otter or Cessna, but the balloon is different for some reason. Its quiet. It's lower than we usually exit. Treat the climb out like you treat the climb out of any other aircraft -- be efficient, know where you are putting your hands and feet. Get into position as quick a possible.

And if you slip and fall... Smile, you're now in freefall.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

I love video and stills from a balloon!!!

I climb over, put my feet on the bottom of the basket, and my hands on the top.

You can't see the ground, it is silent, it is like falling into nothing for the first second or too. My favorite skydiving moments ever. :)
My first ballon jump I was way scared. I think the only thing that got me over the edge was that I was shooting video for my friend. I didn't want to miss the video so I forced myself over the side. :$:)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I was really scared on the only balloon jump I've done - at 1100 jumps and at least 75 h&p's. I managed to climb over the side and exit, breathing really hard, flailed and swam like a petrified first jumper, then laughed at myself, arched and pulled.

It was awesome; I'd love to do a few more. Go do some more hop and pops from an airplane and then go for it again. Being comfortable with the lower altitude helps a lot.

I was really scared on the only balloon jump I've done - at 1100 jumps and at least 75 h&p's. I managed to climb over the side and exit, breathing really hard, flailed and swam like a petrified first jumper, then laughed at myself, arched and pulled.

It was awesome; I'd love to do a few more. Go do some more hop and pops from an airplane and then go for it again. Being comfortable with the lower altitude helps a lot.

I did the whole flailing like a cartoon character on my helicopter jump last year. I know that feeling. Then suddenly you've gained speed and you're flying flat and pull. :)

I'm not stressing this at all, I mean whatever. I got to ride in a balloon, but I basically got up, the two other guys jumped and I just couldn't get myself to move.

For what it's worth, here's my skydiving philosophy... If it's something you really want to do, go for it! If it's something you really don't want to do, what's the point??

You made a decision not to jump. There’s no disgrace in that. The important question here is, was this your first time landing in a balloon? ……….Beer! :P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

You LANDED in a balloon???:o
I've jumped out of one a half dozen times, but you never get me to land in one!!!:S
That's just plain crazy!!!

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I had just over 200 jumps when I did my first and only balloon jump. There are photos of me climbing out and the look on my face is probably exactly like the look on my face that first day I climbed on the strut of a Cessna.

I think my biggest fear was that I was going to end up half in and half out and somehow snag my foot and end up with a random clumsy injury.:D:D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You LANDED in a balloon???:o
I've jumped out of one a half dozen times, but you never get me to land in one!!!:S
That's just plain crazy!!!

I agree 100%. I am nervous until we get high enough where I can jump and know I don't have to land in it.

I have maybe 30 balloon jumps - mostly to practice wingsuit BASE exits.

I think most skydivers just need a green light.

Here is my advice to the OP. Get a green light flashlight. Have the balloon pilot shine it in your face while someone else yells frantically, "DOOR, go, go, go". Then it will feel just like an otter, just more fun.

P.S. I have seen the true meaning of a "last ditch effort". It was the last ditch to crash the balloon into before a building, with a powerline behind it, and the foothills behind that, followed by the rocky mountains and continental divide. It was the last ditch...

I dont know what it is but despite reading your own and the altimeters of the other jumpers to tell you youre high enough, it just doesnt FEEL like youre high enough or climbed enough. Strange uncomfortable feeling.
" 90 right, five miles then cut."---Pukin Buzzards

You can't see the ground, it is silent, it is like falling into nothing for the first second or too. My favorite skydiving moments ever. :)

That's what I love about the chopper: nothing. Imagine being that happy about nothing.:D

And then the air getting progressively stiffer and stiffer so that I can fly on it. Sweet!

B|

I screamed like a little girl, and I'm smiling like an idiot in front of my computer right now just from thinking about it.

:)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

...Dunno what the deal is but the past year the fear has just been a lot harder to deal with for some reason. The first year I was jumping I barely had any.

This shows that you are maturing as a skydiver.
Getting over that hump that most, if not all, of us experience that first year gets easier and easier with knowledge. Knowledge is power.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I get really freaked standing on the roof of a house, even one storey up. I cower...

But, I had no fear climbing up on my first hot air balloon jump at Perris between the 50-way and 100-way camps. I was more worried about being scorched by the burner, or scalded by hot metal frames. Remarkably I accidentally did a perfect zero-G exit, timed perfectly - simply based on reading up on stable zero-G exits - I just lept sideways and freefell with no flail, then slowly onto belly. The zero g meant I had the butterflies I normally don't get, though, so that was fun. Next time, I'll just intentionally keel and simply flip over the edge and flail - for the extra thrill. Who knows - maybe I'll become a BASE jumper, not hardcore renegade, but things like the legal Norway cliffs, bridge day and tower events type of thing. That's a new BASE rig and an APEX type course in the future, maybe. But for now I'm in a bigway career for the next few years.

My recent "beer" line over was WAY more scary. It cleared instantly in one yank, though.

I am most nervous during takeoffs (plane or balloon) and landings (whether it's me landing or plane landing). Especially with treetops below me after end of runway.

Dunno what the deal was, but my nerves were going ape. I've jumped the heli and 4 or 5 different planes, but that balloon was scaring the hell out of me. I guess having two hop and pops didn't help.

In the old days everyone learned to skydive on the static line method, and jumps were made from as low as 2000'. As you progressed, the exit altitude got higher, as you went on to do longer freefall delays. So you grew up in the sport understanding that 2,000' was plenty of altitude, and wasn't that scary.

But these days, everyone learns to skydive with tandem and AFF, where all they ever do is exit at 13,000'. The ground looks remote and things aren't as scary. They get used to that, and it's comforting. So then when they're confronted with a hop n' pop at 3,000', they're terrified, because the ground looks too close! Of course, there's still plenty of time to do what is necessary, but because they're unfamiliar with it, it scares them.

So, you need to spend some more time doing hop 'n pops, and get comfortable with that. Exit, arch, look, pull. Check your altimeter before exit and after opening, and notice how little altitude is lost. Reassure yourself that you can do this perfectly safely, with plenty of room to spare. Work yourself down to doing this at 2,500', being under an open canopy by 2,000'. Be comfortable with that.

Then go make another balloon jump.

This is also good training for some aircraft emergency exit some day...

your friends shouldnt have let you go out last leaving you in the balloon by yourself, you should have had other jumpers there giving you peer pressure the entire time :). thats how the world gets moving, when you have your buddy right there calling you a wuss for not jumping out. next time you will get it, besides, im more scared to land in the balloon than i am under my parachute.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

Bummer, I'd feel like crap if I pussied out... [:/]

Haha well I was trying to keep it a secret but people blabbered there mouths, so I figured I'd share my story. :P

Korissa goes on my Facebook where every skydiver in 5 countries can see it and goes "WHATS THIS SHIT I HEAR ABOUT YOU CHICKENING OUT OF A BALLOON JUMP"... :S

your friends shouldnt have let you go out last leaving you in the balloon by yourself, you should have had other jumpers there giving you peer pressure the entire time :). thats how the world gets moving, when you have your buddy right there calling you a wuss for not jumping out. next time you will get it, besides, im more scared to land in the balloon than i am under my parachute.

I'm with you on this one. His friends should have just kicked his ass out of the basket...

Friends don't let friends land in Balloons ;)

OMG, I agree with Popsjumper and ryoder! I would MUCH rather land under my own (steerable and flareable!!!!) canopy than in the basket of that balloon! Were you freaked out landing with the balloon?? I LOVE balloon jumps, they are my absolute favorite. I've probably done a dozen or so, do them every chance I get. Climbing up on the edge is really really tough the 1st time, but after that it just gets easier and better. Now I'm just nervous in a balloon when it's under around 1000'....

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

[reply
In the old days everyone learned to skydive on the static line method, and jumps were made from as low as 2000'. As you progressed, the exit altitude got higher, as you went on to do longer freefall delays. So you grew up in the sport understanding that 2,000' was plenty of altitude, and wasn't that scary.

Not that it detracts from your point on the need to do more HnPs, but the era you're talking about had faster opening parachutes and a lot more no pull deaths. The BSRs, written in blood as they say, were still being written.

Electing to leave a still air craft at 2000 for non emergency reasons pushes the BSR for min altitude even for the very experienced, and violates them for the rest. It also skirts the hard deck recommendation.

So was it said - how high was this balloon? I still haven't lined up an opportunity to do one.