Braz933

Tunnel prior to AFF?

And though Pigeon Forge likely seems the closest, you'd likely do better to drive to Raeford or Orlando, if you're looking to do some skydiving training.

At FlyAway - or the L1 outdoor tunnel in Waynesville, NC, which I believe is still open (it was a year ago) - you'll spend most of your energy trying to stay in the column of air, especially if you're not an experienced jumper.

If you hit up a SkyVenture tunnel (which can be found at skyventure.com), you'll be flying in an enclosed chamber, where you can't slide off the column and fall onto the pads/net.

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.

And though Pigeon Forge likely seems the closest, you'd likely do better to drive to Raeford or Orlando, if you're looking to do some skydiving training.

I agree. I've never been to either Pigeon Forge or Las Vegas, but I've heard and read more "don't waste your money" comments than "it's better than nothing" comments about each, mainly because of lower wind velocity that makes it harder to maneuver, especially for a student. But that's just what I've heard.

I finally got into the tunnel tonight. I did 13 minutes, and I must say it has improved my confidence 100 fold!

This experience was particularly good because coaching was provided by 3 AFF instructors from my soon-to-be home DZ.

I plan to make a few more trips to the tunnel between now and AFF. I would like to have 60 minutes in the tunnel prior to AFF if possible. Time and finances will dictate.

So far..so goodB|

Braz

Dude! They gotta know you ROCKED the tunnel for the first time! :) You were able to maintain hover control okay - up/down, and left/right, and even tossed in a few turns! We will hit the Pleasure Tube a few more times, and I will make sure I am on a coupla AFF loads with you this spring!

This guy is gonna be a SKYDIVER!!

Blue Skies, and Safe Landings Always,

SkyPainter
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

I would recommend the tunnel because it will teach you the sounds and sensations in a less stressful situation. NASA taught the first astronauts in simulations that were loud, hot, shaking, etc. so that they could ignore the distractions and function properly.

Well, it's been a while, and I have an update on this. The tunnel time paid off! I went through AFF, and completed all my coach jumps without a single problem. I'm now just 10 jumps away from my A license.

If anyone reading this has access to a tunnel prior to AFF, do yourself a favor and get in there! :)

I just graduated from AFF, at Skydive Deland, and an intstructor ( who had rented an hour of time at skyventure orlando ) aproached me and the guy i was with asking if wed like 15 minutes of tunnel time each. I highly recommend it, you can practice all the maneuvers youll be doing in aff, in a stress free enviroment.

+ the 15 minutes i had in the tunnel (not that youd necessarily would want to rent that much time) equated to 17-18 jumps of freefall.

Well, it's been a while, and I have an update on this. The tunnel time paid off! I went through AFF, and completed all my coach jumps without a single problem. I'm now just 10 jumps away from my A license.

If anyone reading this has access to a tunnel prior to AFF, do yourself a favor and get in there! :)

****> CONGRATS, Ryan! Now I need to catch-up with YOU! LOL! We will be jumping together soon .... I did my D1 last weekend. Rock on.
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

I did an hour of tunnel time in Denver in April. I just started AFP at Skydive Chicago last weekend. Normally, jump 3 is the release dive, but my instructor decided to release me on my second jump. I was able to fly stable and hold heading very easily. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to without the tunnel time.

That being said... don't expect to fly as well in freefall as you do in the tunnel. The stress levels are very different in the two environments. It's much harder to fly when your body is all tensed up after jumping from a plane.

I would definetely recommend at least 15 minutes in the tunnel before AFF. It really helped my confidence!

"

I have done 2 tandems. I know they don't count for anything, ..."

I disagree!
Tandem helped you overcome the massive sensory overload and fear of those first two jumps and tandem is the best hanging harness for teaching landing patterns.

No single method is best for teaching skydiving skills, rather different methods are best for teachign different skills at different levels.
For example, at Pitt Meadows, we start every student with a tandem jump, then a couple of IAD jumps, then five Progressive Freefall jumps, then a few coach dives to round out skills for A Certificate.
If there was a wind tunnel - within driving distance of Vancouver - I would make tunnel time obligatory before Progressive Freefall jumps.

I would recommend the tunnel because it will teach you the sounds and sensations in a less stressful situation. NASA taught the first astronauts in simulations that were loud, hot, shaking, etc. so that they could ignore the distractions and function properly.

I seem to recall that the first cosmonaut was a dog, and the first astrononaut was a chimpanzee.

I seem to recall that the first cosmonaut was a dog, and the first astrononaut was a chimpanzee.

There's a thread somewhere about cats in the tunnel . . . .
TPM Sister #102