Dreadswooper

Bought a bad canopy? I DID!

The blows aren't low. If you read everyone else's responses, they're pretty much right on.

You screwed up and have a shitty attitude about it.

Learn from it.

Darin didnt have a shitty attitude about anything, YOU started the smart mouth, he was asking for honest advice about a canopy purchase, not about his jump numbers or what canopy he should be flying and definitely not for you to mock his job... keep to the issue

also who said he was bitching at the seller..he was buying a used canopy with fairly new lines that was supposed to be fit for the sky, he simply asked to negotiate the price of fixing the center cell..which im sure you would have probably done the same..and since when was asking advice on a skydive forum bitching...

since it was probably bought through paypal he could completely fuck this guy over and send the canopy back and get his money back by providing proof of delivery.. but instead he decided to try to negotiate since it may have been a poor decision to not ask if he could get the canopy tested before paying for it...

why dont you chill out and try some constructive advice rather than attacks... or dont respond at all

and wtf... dragon2 your user name implies you're a mythological flying serpent beast...so lets talk about that

hmmm

>Some folks had to swoop Stilettos - it was the hottest canopy
>around back when we rode horses to the DZ.

Right. I had a Nova for a while and it was the hottest canopy on the DZ. Doesn't make it a good idea to jump one now, though.

I know one or two airworthy Excaliburs lying around, never jumped one though. We got PLENTY of very cheap BT Pro's over here, if you want a real swoop canopy :ph34r:

Is it better than my old Nova? Got a thousand or so on that one...after it was grounded.:o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Right. I had a Nova for a while and it was the hottest canopy on the DZ. Doesn't make it a good idea to jump one now, though.

I didn't imply that it does. And I had a Nova too. Fun canopy with a bad rep.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Darin didnt have a shitty attitude about anything, YOU started the smart mouth, he was asking for honest advice about a canopy purchase, not about his jump numbers or what canopy he should be flying and definitely not for you to mock his job... keep to the issue

also who said he was bitching at the seller..he was buying a used canopy with fairly new lines that was supposed to be fit for the sky, he simply asked to negotiate the price of fixing the center cell..which im sure you would have probably done the same..and since when was asking advice on a skydive forum bitching...

since it was probably bought through paypal he could completely screw this guy over and send the canopy back and get his money back by providing proof of delivery.. but instead he decided to try to negotiate since it may have been a poor decision to not ask if he could get the canopy tested before paying for it...

why dont you chill out and try some constructive advice rather than attacks... or dont respond at all

and wtf... dragon2 your user name implies you're a mythological flying serpent beast...so lets talk about that

hmmm

I never jumped the Nova, but one of my friends that did said he loved it, it was the best canopy in the world, until the landing when the lines went slack at 15' and he broke both heels.:S[:/]

since it was probably bought through paypal he could completely screw this guy over and send the canopy back and get his money back by providing proof of delivery.. but instead he decided to try to negotiate since it may have been a poor decision to not ask if he could get the canopy tested before paying for it...

hmmm

While the assumptions are flying...let me have some too: Either you have very thin skin, or you're the one that the OP is sexing up.

He asked for advice on his situation. The overwhelming theme here for him is:

First: Suck it up cupcake, you bought a 12 year old canopy with 1000 jumps for $200 $250. Last jumped 3 years ago. To not think something may be wrong with this canopy is pretty silly.

Second, Dan's remark about the job is completely appropriate given the OP saying that he will never have a pull test done again. If you don't understand why this is a stupid comment, let us know, we'll tell you why - plenty of time for education around here if you know where to look.

Third, there's plenty of people out here that are harsh when it comes to canopy advice, even if no one asked for it, when they see a situation that sounds kind of sketchy. Mostly it is people being concerned that they don't want to see someone else auger in under a good canopy that they were not ready to be on yet. Others jut like to run their mouth. Dan is of the former camp.

It's tough love. Hard to hear sometimes, but most good lessons take a while to sink in.

As I tell my students: If you're gonna be dumb you had better be tough. This is a very unforgiving sport.

I never jumped the Nova, but one of my friends that did said he loved it, it was the best canopy in the world, until the landing when the lines went slack at 15' and he broke both heels.:S[:/]

The trick was to load the shit out of 'em. You probably remember that the Nova was the first canopy to have a minimum wing loading requirement. Mine flew like a rocket at my loading, but never hinted at a stability issue, even in choppy wind.

Maybe I got a good one.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I didn't see the guy name any names.....

Either way.. if he paid $250.. and has to pay a bit more to have the cell repaired to have it made airworthy again.. that isn't really a rip.
Still cheaper than a new canopy would of cost..

Just my $0.02
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

> And I had a Nova too. Fun canopy with a bad rep.

Its reputation was well-earned, but it was indeed a fun canopy. However, it's definitely not one I would recommend to anyone, and I won't sell the one I have to anyone, because I'd feel bad if it collapsed on them (which it did to me a few times.)

The good news is that technology moves on, and now there are much better canopies out there to learn on.

The end result would be a canopy that's not worth the cost. Kind of like spending $1000 for a new tranny for a car that has debilitating frame rust.

I'd have to agree that the real reaction should be something like "boy, that was a mistake." The object is to learn from them -- had he had the canopy shipped to a rigger for a check, we would not have been hearing this story.

Note, too, that sometimes people jump canopies that fail pull tests; as long as the openings are pretty even, they probably won't fail. It's not something I really want to bet myself on, but it really could be that the former owner was jumping it just like that and didn't see a problem.

Me, I bought a 1964 Ford Falcon for $150, and then invested $300 in front end repairs. The original investment wasn't the problem. But damn those repairs were stupid.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I hear the Novas flew great....until they collapsed.:D

> And I had a Nova too. Fun canopy with a bad rep.

Its reputation was well-earned, but it was indeed a fun canopy. However, it's definitely not one I would recommend to anyone, and I won't sell the one I have to anyone, because I'd feel bad if it collapsed on them (which it did to me a few times.)

The good news is that technology moves on, and now there are much better canopies out there to learn on.

I know what you mean. I traded a Monarch for it after a lightly loaded girl busted her leg on it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I just had an identical thing happen on a 700 jump Spectre135 - way too much packing sweat. I paid the $225 for the topskin replacement. I thought that at the price I bought it for, it was a fair deal.

At 1000+ jumps on your canopy, technically, the failure is not unexpected. I PERSONALLY think you got what you paid for.

wildcard pretty much covered my response. Thanks bro.

I bought a complete rig for $600 once (it was 1996). My very first rig. I loved that thing. Of course what's not to love about an '84 Racer, an 84' Fury, and a 26' LoPo? When it got grounded at the next repack for harness damage (that existed when I bought it but was not caught by the first rigger who inspected it) my response was not to contact the seller and complain, or go on the internet (did that exist in 1996?) and call the guy out for misleading me (which he didn't), it was to learn the lesson that you get what you pay for.

I've bought a fair amount of used gear over the years, and always been smart enough to either inspect it first, or at least come to some agreement with the seller about condition. Your buddy, the OP, did neither of these. His complaints are unwarranted, and his subsequent comments ignorant. If he, or you, can't deal with reality, it's not my fault.

- Dan G

Hey there chill a little yourself. I see here that you are good friends with the OP, that is cool. Step back a bit and take an objective look at what these experienced jumpers are saying. The OP bought an old canopy for peanuts compared to what a good used canopy costs. Old used stuff is AS IS, no guarantees. It turned out to be crap and he wants the seller to pony up some cash. Not fair. Moral of the story: don't buy old crap, especially if you are going to entrust your life to it. And NEVER buy old crap sight unseen.
Your friend got a good, very cheap lesson without much in the way of consequences.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Get real man, you bought a parachute for $250. If you've done any shopping around, you know that parachutes generally cost more than $250.

On top of that, you bought it used without having it inspected. There's a fair degree of 'buyer beware' when it comes to buying used merchandise from a private seller. If you're old enough to have a A license, you're old enough to know better.

Look at it this way, have PD fix it up and the end result is you spending $500 for a canopy with 200 jumps on the lines, and that PD has looked at, and brought up to their standard of airworthiness. You can feel good about the condition of your main, and you would have paid a fair price for a solid main canopy.

Honestly I wouldn't have had PD do the destructive testing on it.

PD is very strict about their guidelines for what they will call "airworthy" and while that's a good thing I've had more than one person lose their minds when they had PD "test" their canopy to destruction. The canopy was probably airworthy, and capable of many more jumps.

I'd say the obligation lies with you, you had the test done, you pay the price.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I know one or two airworthy Excaliburs lying around, never jumped one though. We got PLENTY of very cheap BT Pro's over here, if you want a real swoop canopy :ph34r:

Some more blah, blah for you. In my first Swoop Meet (that's still what it was called in '01) I place 17th out of more than 30 on a Stiletto. One of 3 non cross braced in the meet.

It's much about the pilot.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.