Ripley10001

Is jumping without a parachute safe?

Travis is certainly a topic of discussion, but a jackass? I don't think so.

Anyone that skydives without a parachute is indeed a jackass. Jackass meaning a total idiot that is.

We're all pretty damn nuts, but anyone that pulls that stunt is asking to be a Darwin statistic. :D
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Whatever you may say, it's still pretty damn fucking awesome :P

Kudos to those people.

Have at it.

I'll hold your beer for you;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

With the techniques and technology, and the skills available today I don't think you can really say that. Certainly in the old days, the late 60's and 70's, it might have been true to an extent. I know that before Bill Cole's second chuteless jump in 1972, the guys sat around discussing what would happen if the fellow Bill was to hook up with just stayed out of his reach. A lot of these guys were Vietnam vets, and maybe a little 'out there'.

In the end, he made it easy for Bill to hook up, but if he hadn't, it might have been difficult to prove anything from the film evidence. but nowadays with not only the techniques and equipment, but also great video, a permanent record of everyone's actions would be available, showing why it happened, and I don't think you could get away with screwing the jump up (maybe with screwing up the parachute you give him, though).

So as long as you find the guys with the proper skills, it wouldn't be hard to do. It just sounds scary, but it's really only one point.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Whatever you may say, it's still pretty damn fucking awesome :P

Kudos to those people.

very awesome... and when the inevitable happens, and one of these dumb fucks bounces and all his friends write sobbing testimonials about what a great guy he was ...

I'll pop a beer, crank up 'Another one bites the dust' (can't beat Freddie Mercury)
and laugh my ass off.....

Sport Le Morte ....

very awesome... and when the inevitable happens, and one of these dumb fucks bounces and all his friends write sobbing testimonials about what a great guy he was ...

I'll pop a beer, crank up 'Another one bites the dust' (can't beat Freddie Mercury)
and laugh my ass off.....

Sport Le Morte ....

lol jealous much? :D
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

If you wouldn't be jealous, you wouldn't post here calling those people idiots and saying you will laugh if they die performing that stunt..

They ain't harming anyone by doing that and if they failed, the result would only harm them (permanently).

To be honest, you almost sound like a whuffo who thinks that people who skydive and BASE jump are complete morons risking their lives for this kind of "crappy" shit, in this case the "skydiver" is the chuteless jumper and you are the "whuffo"..

Actually, pilots did get in trouble over these stunts and ratings were revoked over them since they had violated multiple Federal Aviation Requirements.

It's their choice, they knew the risks, they took em, nobody forced them..

If you wouldn't be jealous, you wouldn't post here calling those people idiots and saying you will laugh if they die performing that stunt..

yes ... i will laugh my ass off, that's amusement, not jealousy

They ain't harming anyone by doing that and if they failed, the result would only harm them (permanently).

anyone that dies can potentially affect this sport in a bad way (read still more regulations), thereby affecting you and affecting me (but I'd still laugh at these guys)

To be honest, you almost sound like a whuffo who thinks that people who skydive and BASE jump are complete morons risking their lives for this kind of "crappy" shit, in this case the "skydiver" is the chuteless jumper and you are the "whuffo"..

Darwin will be vindicated ...
we used to do 13 ways on Fri 13 and everyone would dump at 1300 ... was that stupid ? of, course it was, but we didn't glorify our stupidity by self-promotion after the fact .. we just did it, for our own ghoulish reasons, the management always seemed to be 'in the office' when it happened, and we didn't make a big deal about it afterward, we just got on with things

had we had problems, there was still time to do something (reserve) and if something had happened, tough shit, we didn't expect sympathy either ... but we didn't self promote our nonsense...

BASE jumpers HAVE a parachute ... and if they are smart, and jumping from a decent height (EL Cap, Angel Falls, who knows how many Norwegian walls) they should wear both... I'm sure in her last 5 seconds that lady at ElCap may have thought, 'damn, I shoulda wore my skydiving rig'

the point being, if you don't maximize your own safety ... then you are a dumb shit ... sorry, I don't make the rules... that's just the way it is

was opening at 1300 ft on Fri 13 being a dumb shit ?
you bet your ass.. and if someone like Al Frisby (RIP) had seen one of us go in he would have been pissed, not sad and said 'what a dumb shit' and he'd have been right ....

I didn't say I never acted like 1, I simply pointed out that you get NO sympathy points when you conciously put yourself in that place..

BASE jumpers HAVE a parachute ... and if they are smart, and jumping from a decent height (EL Cap, Angel Falls, who knows how many Norwegian walls) they should wear both... I'm sure in her last 5 seconds that lady at ElCap may have thought, 'damn, I shoulda wore my skydiving rig'

BASE rigs are much more reliable that skydiving ones. Yes, shit happens, but where doesn't it?

was opening at 1300 ft on Fri 13 being a dumb shit ?
you bet your ass..

That's superstition, superstition is like religion - BULLSHIT (the friday 13th thing), the 1300 ft pull is your choice, I don't judge you in any way..

I guess it's a matter of opinion (you can't please everyone), you think it's dumb, I think it's awesome, so let's leave it at that :)

People like Travis Pastrana are only dumb idiots if they dont know the risks they are taking. I'm sure they do and accept the risk of death. I like how you think you have the perfect balance between acceptable and dumb risk and expect everyone to follow your rules. People should just let people decide what risks they want to take in life and leave them alone. Freedom :)

Live hard, Live fast, Die broke.
D.S. 118118

was opening at 1300 ft

That's like the time I did a demo into a shopping center parking lot. They told me it was a Grand Opening, so I did.:S[:/] I misunderstood.

Hey, I'd do that chuteless jump for the right kind of money, but I don't think I'd do it for grins. It would be easy enough to do with the skill levels available in the sport today.