eightate8at8

Goggle/sunglasses choice

Obviously for my first pair I'm not gonna go buy gatorz, but I also don't wanna buy the $7 flex goggles that suck.

So I was looking at a few things and would like you guys to throw any suggestions you have at me about these two.

Sorz - I've seen people wearing them and no complaints..

and Curv Z, the ones with the foam..

There are quite a few different aspects you guys might critique on, functionality, look, durability, etc.. but just combine them all and explain which you would choose!

Thanks, blues

I lose stuff so fast that spending 150 bucks for a pair of sunglasses ranks among the dumbest things I've ever done.
Now I use anything cheap that won't fall apart on me and do fine. They give out safety glasses at work for free and I like them best. They look pretty much like regular sunglasses and come in dark and clear.
The wind getting in my eyes was a big concern at one time, but I don't find it a problem at all.
This is just one guy's opinion, remember, and I'm sure you will hear others that are not the same.
Listen to everybody and do what you think is best for you. Maybe try out some different ones first.
I'd loan you mine and not worry if you lost them, but most people would probably say, you lose or break them you buy them, so be careful with that.
But what do I know?

I've used Curv Z in the past and they worked fine except for freeflying. In a sit or stand that leaked enough air to cause problems with my contacts. The real problem is that the plastic stems eventually break when worn under a helmet. I was going through 1-2 pairs a season.

I used Sorz for couple of years and it was ok. They tended to fog pretty much. Now I use Akando, flexi and third type (I only found it as boogie goggles on paragear.com) depending of helmet and jump type.
- I broke 3 pairs of Akando by accident in last two years (once 30secs before exit, jumped without them and was half blind for the rest of the day :S). They fog like Sorz.
- Flexies don`t fog so much, and they last me for more than 3 years and are unbreakable. But maybe distort perspective slightly. Easy to wear as a backup in a jumpsuit pocket.
- Boogie goggles don`t fog at all (main reason why I use them), but I must wear them low on the nose which is not so comfortable. They also last for many years now.

One of my TI-s have Gators and uses them from time to time for freefall and he is happy with them.

my2c

dudeist skydiver #42

Yeah, alotttt of staff and and whohaveyou wear gatorz, but I'm not willing to drop that much money yet. I suppose I could always get a pair of the curv's, being like $25 bucks, and also some flexi's that I can always count on.. I really do like the boogie goggles over the flexi's though just because that unprotected or cushioned edge is a little uncomfortable..

Indyz, or anyone for that matter with glasses, did/do you have to wear croakies with your glasses? Online I can't find the best pair of croakies, the ones you can tighten in the back and they'll stay nice and snug..

Buy the flex goggles that "suck" and stop worrying about looking cool.

Agreed. I wasted money trying different goggles only to come full circle ... flex goggles are cheap, durable, and work great.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I've used Curv Z in the past and they worked fine except for freeflying. In a sit or stand that leaked enough air to cause problems with my contacts. The real problem is that the plastic stems eventually break when worn under a helmet. I was going through 1-2 pairs a season.

Two important points that I'm glad you point out. I should have said mine would be no good for contacts. I don't freefly either and in fact only fly in a wingsuit and the wind is really light for me. Still I'd go with comfort over looking cool. That and low price is what I've come up with for myself.
But what do I know?