npgraphicdesign

Dealing with frustration of not being able to jump...

...for one reason or another?

For me it's time, money & lack of canopy. I'm in the midst of a job search, and though I have paychecks coming in for another 3 months, I don't have the money to go and jump every weekend, or even every other weekend. Still waiting for my Cypres to come back from servicing, so don't have my own rig, and don't feel like renting every time I go to jump. Also, have been down & out with allergies + cold for the last 4 weeks, which are just now getting better. And, I don't have too much time to socialize and just hang out w/o jumping, since the job search and a few side projects are taking up most of my time.

I really want to jump, and I've been completely obsessed with skydiving ever since I started. But not have the time, money and equipment to do it on a regular basis is frustrating. Plus, some of the comments from various skydivers at my home DZ, such as 'why are you not jumping' or 'why'd you buy a rig? so you can jump once every year?" really bug me sometimes. I know they're semi-joking, but not everyone has the time/money/equipment to spend 4 weekend a month at a DZ.

So how do you guys deal with similar frustrations?

Simple. I budget in what I can afford IRT jumping and suck it up when I can't go. It sucks that I can't spend every weekend at the DZ but, it also helps to keep a balance with other things I enjoy doing that don't cost so much.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I starve...
and pack.

Next time get a Vigil and you won't be without your rig :)

Let's not get started on the argument of vigils.

As for not being able to jump due to money, well - there are lots of things you can do at most DZs to make jumping money. You didn't mention why you didn't have the time.

As for no canopy, do you mean you don't have one for your rig, or is that just a comment to the cypress being out for service? That's a "deal with it" kind of thing, it shouldn't take that long for it to come back. Or just jump w/o one. That's what I have done in the past.

Finding a job is certainly step 1 for you, but don't be afraid to accept that you might have to have some kind of second job (hopefully right at the dropzone) to pay for jumping. That's what pretty much most of us have to do.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Frustrated because I can’t jump? Me? Maybe just a little …

In my case I’m grounded due to injury and the fact that the botched landing was 100% my fault only adds to the frustration. The weather has been really shitty since I got injured (4 weeks ago) so it helped (a little) with not feeling like I’m missing out.

I don’t miss just the jumping … I miss socializing with fellow skydivers too. I spent a Saturday at my home DZ and it looks like I’m heading to Cali for the American Boogie next weekend to hang out with fellow injured sky girls. It will be tough not being able to get in the air. How I’ll deal with it? Start drinking early :S ...

Hey ... come to Jumptown ... Keith has my rig and he is using it for ocassional crew jumps ... you two can share it. (I'm serious!)

O

i'm currently recovering from a broken ankle. so when the jumping jones heats up i take a few deep breaths to relax and do something else to occupy my mind. i also take comfort in knowing that my lay off is just temporary and i'll be back in the skies in the near future. patience grasshopper
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Frustrated because I can’t jump? Me? Maybe just a little …

In my case I’m grounded due to injury and the fact that the botched landing was 100% my fault only adds to the frustration. The weather has been really shitty since I got injured (4 weeks ago) so it helped (a little) with not feeling like I’m missing out.

I don’t miss just the jumping … I miss socializing with fellow skydivers too. I spent a Saturday at my home DZ and it looks like I’m heading to Cali for the American Boogie next weekend to hang out with fellow injured sky girls. It will be tough not being able to get in the air. How I’ll deal with it? Start drinking early :S ...

Hey ... come to Jumptown ... Keith has my rig and he is using it for ocassional crew jumps ... you two can share it. (I'm serious!)

O

Thanks O. B| I just called Cypres and they should be shipping my AAD back early next week, which means I'll have it in about 2 weeks.

Remember that last time I was at Jumptown? I caught a cold...then allergies on top of it..I am just starting to recover. Will be good by next weekend, and def. will try to come out to Jumptown.

i'm currently recovering from a broken ankle. so when the jumping jones heats up i take a few deep breaths to relax and do something else to occupy my mind. i also take comfort in knowing that my lay off is just temporary and i'll be back in the skies in the near future. patience grasshopper

You and me both ... hang in there [:/].

O

Well, before my job finished, I brought a bunch of jump tickets. So I can at least jump for the next couple of months without having toi find 'extra' money to do so..... A bit of forward thinking on my part.

P.S : Jumping is NOT the most important thing in my life but it will offset some of the current 'issues'.

Hopefully I'll secure a new contract before the end of summer.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I starve...
and pack.

Next time get a Vigil and you won't be without your rig :)

true but do you trust it with your life? i sure wouldn't

Cliff's(owner of SSK) home DZ is mine and his son is a good friend so of course I would not trust a Vigil :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

This is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

I soooo get the frustration of not being able to jump. However, it sounds like you're not willing to go out to the DZ unless you can jump a lot. In my opinion, you would be better off just getting in 1 jump every week or two to keep current, just so the environment won't be so foreign to you when you do get to jump regularly.

Having gone through this same thing, I would rather get 1 jump every week, than getting 4 jumps every 4 weeks. Practicing a musical instrument efficiently requires the same type of thing - it's better for you to practice 10 minutes every day than it is to play nothing for 6 days and practice 3 hours on sunday.

It's important to maintain your packing skills and keep them current, as well.

Do what you can, jump whenever you can!
T.I.N.S.

Kick the cat, beat the dog, shoot the rabbit, ignore the wife and kids, argue with friends, dig up the garden, crash the car, get really drunk.

Hope the next day will be better.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Just a scary thought! But can't you jump with out an AAD?? It's been done before!

I know it has been done. ;) But I don't plan on jumping without a Cypres. Personal choice...same as jumping out or riding the plane down for the simple reason that you don't feel comfortable doing it.

I'm proud of you ;) ...

My rig has a brand new Vigil ... seriously, get to my DZ and jump it as much as you want :)

O

Just a scary thought! But can't you jump with out an AAD?? It's been done before!

I know it has been done. ;) But I don't plan on jumping without a Cypres. Personal choice...same as jumping out or riding the plane down for the simple reason that you don't feel comfortable doing it.

I'm proud of you ;) ...

My rig has a brand new Vigil ... seriously, get to my DZ and jump it as much as you want :)

O

Thanks B|
Just make sure to tell Keith that I might be borrowing the rig...Or else he'll be like "who the hell are you? Nikita? I thought you were a girl!" :P

Actually, when I showed up at Jumptown last month, I emailed the DZO with some questions about renting, and she must've told the guy who handles the rental equipment (is that Keith??) that a "Nikita" was going to rent equipment. He thought I was a girl and has a 120 ready for me. :ph34r::D

Ok,I do feel bad for ya because we have talked in the past.Now frustration of not be able to jump..........well at least you are able to jump physically>:(>:(

just giving ya a hard time bro:ph34r::D:D

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

He he ... Brian is the master rigger at Jumptown - he is in charge of all the equipment.

You probably know Keith T. from CPI ... he is a crew guy, awesome friend and great jumper.

If you're heading that way, I'll let him know about my permission to use my rig. It has a PD Storm 190 as a main - I think it is comparable with what you've been jumping - if not, you can put your main in it - it can hold a 210 as well.

O

He he ... Brian is the master rigger at Jumptown - he is in charge of all the equipment.

You probably know Keith T. from CPI ... he is a crew guy, awesome friend and great jumper.

If you're heading that way, I'll let him know about my permission to use my rig. It has a PD Storm 190 as a main - I think it is comparable with what you've been jumping - if not, you can put your main in it - it can hold a 210 as well.

O

Oh that Keith...yes I know who he is. I will let you know mid-week next week when/if I'm going to be at Jumptown or not. B|

You rock...thank you. :)
Remember I still owe you something ;)