Phosphorus8

Goggles/Glasses

So I'm getting a little tired of my cheap plastic goggles and I have been looking through magazines trying to decide if I want to get glasses or not. Do they make a big difference? I can imagine that they do not block out as much air as the plastic ones do. Does anyone recommend any brands?

"Well behaved women rarely make history" - Marilyn Monroe

I jump a full face with the visor removed and some ESS glasses. I like them a TON more than the visor or goggles. I think you can see more, its more comfortable, and even freeflying doesn't shove air into your eyes. I'd recommend it.

After going to full face helmet I was able to wear my regular sun glasses... maybe a little more expensive than just buying glases (and sometimes not! ) but.. love my full face helmet, again has allowed me to use my reg sunglasses as well gain all the other pros of having a full face helmet. Good luck in your purchase!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

For RW and sit-flying I've found that large-lens sunglasses with Croakies work just as well as goggles. I don't think you will get good protection for VRW with sunglasses.

Edited to add: Impact/Shatter-resistant sunglasses, that is.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Another question: do you wear contact lenses?

I find that Gatorz (& other form-fitting shades) don't work as well for me, thanks to the contacts issue.

Still, if you're looking for sunglasses, I'd recommend Gatorz and Liquid Eyewear. Liquid in particular (at least for me), because they have some add-ons that make them a little more airtight.

I'm a big fan of the Sorz goggles, myself. But it all depends on what works for you.
Signatures are the new black.

I wear contacts and use gatorz when I am using my open face camera helmet. I took the nose piece off and use a strap around the back to keep them tight to my face. They work really well. Sorz work pretty well. I had a couple pairs before the gatorz, however I found the foam seal would come off after a while.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters

Cheap plastic goggles are the best, in my opinion. Get the ones with no edging so that you have maximun peripheral vision. The ones that look good often do not allow you to see well, IMHO. Make sure you can see your handles!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I sport sunglasses (gatorz brand) but only because I have prescriptions. I despise messing with contacts. Its also nice to be able to land and still just have your sunglasses on. dont have to keep up with goggles or swap your goggles for sunglasses on the ground.

HOwever If I had perfect vision I would probably be rocking the flex Z minis. I too think they are the baddest mofo goggles in the sky. Its what i wore when i had contacts.
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

The best goggles I have are a pair of cheap sunglasses I got in a fishing tackle store. I recently added a $5 lanyard. They actually contour my face pretty well in freefall too.

I find I don't need a complete seal, just something approximate that stops most of the blast of air.

Not as cool as gatorz, but they do the job.

If you're anything like me your propensity to lose shades is proportional to the square of their cost.

The best goggles I have are a pair of cheap sunglasses I got in a fishing tackle store. I recently added a $5 lanyard. They actually contour my face pretty well in freefall too.

I find I don't need a complete seal, just something approximate that stops most of the blast of air.

Not as cool as gatorz, but they do the job.

If you're anything like me your propensity to lose shades is proportional to the square of their cost.

P.S. my goggles always end up scuffed and/or marked due to being in my gear bag and coming on and off etc. Sunglasses don't steam up and seem like lower maintenence. But I'm kinda sloppy with goggles. I still use both options.

I've been jumping with blueeye goggles for the last year and are very happy with them. I wear the extreme sports model with the vents in the lens. First pair of goggles I've had that don't fog up in the plane.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

I may have to revise my theory w.r.t. propensity to lose sunglasses. My el cheapo sunglasses went walkabout today :(.

I'll be eyeing the budget section of WalMart for my next pair of stylish eyeware. I may glue them permanently to my helmet this time

Those blueeye goggles sure do look cool, but they're above my price range if only because I'm sure to leave them lying around somewhere too.

I may have to revise my theory w.r.t. propensity to lose sunglasses. My el cheapo sunglasses went walkabout today :(.

I'll be eyeing the budget section of WalMart for my next pair of stylish eyeware. I may glue them permanently to my helmet this time

Those blueeye goggles sure do look cool, but they're above my price range if only because I'm sure to leave them lying around somewhere too.

I only wear my sunglasses when I am wearing my full face Free ZR.. otherwise good goggles keep my eyes in better shape... I hate it when my eyes water from too much wind around the sides of the sunglasses.

If you can find a Stihl Chainsaw dealer.... check out the sunglasses/impact protective Pacifix...they really do last.. and can take a real hit.. mine stopped a rock tossed by my lawnmower and it rebounded off the rock wall into the lens... saved my eye for sure.

http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/pacifix-glasses.html

Psst I get mine for about $10:)

For quality impact resistance, look for ANSI Z87.1 rated glasses. They will likely just say 87 or Z87 somewhere on the glasses.
A dolor netus non dui aliquet, sagittis felis sodales, dolor sociis mauris, vel eu libero cras. Interdum at. Eget habitasse elementum est.

I am sick of them fogging up in the plane I feel like I am always frantic right before I get to the door to clear them so I can see what I am doing. I am concerned about my eyes getting watery during the jump though, I know riding a motorcycle with sunglasses there is still air that gets in at the sides, but I have never tried really form fitting ones. I have thought about the full face helmet but I think it's a little early to drop that much cash on something I may not use after a while. Thanks for all the advice though :)

"Well behaved women rarely make history" - Marilyn Monroe

I am sick of them fogging up in the plane I feel like I am always frantic right before I get to the door to clear them so I can see what I am doing. I am concerned about my eyes getting watery during the jump though, I know riding a motorcycle with sunglasses there is still air that gets in at the sides, but I have never tried really form fitting ones. I have thought about the full face helmet but I think it's a little early to drop that much cash on something I may not use after a while. Thanks for all the advice though :)

Take a look at the glasses from Liquid Eyewear. Not only do they have an ANSI impact rating, you can also add a foam gasket to them easily to make them into goggles. They can also do prescriptions as well. The aluminum frames are actual made to be form fitted so they sit as close to your face as needed without worrying about breaking the lenses or the frame when you adjust/bend them. I personally don't use the foam insert as they work fine for me as is in freefall but YMMV.The video on the web site gives a pretty good run down.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I am sick of them fogging up in the plane... (Ref: Cheap plastic goggles)

You mean like Kroops gogles? You might not need to give up on the cheap goggles yet.

Assuming you are wearing a helmet...

Go to Walmart to the hardware department and buy some of those little sticky "feet", the things to stick on the bottom of your knickknacks to keep them from scratching the furniture.

Put one of those on the front of your helmet, and the goggles can stay parked there until you are ready to exit. You can even have your goggles and helmet both on and ready to go from the time you leave the ground.

And if you don't like the flimsy elastic on the goggles, stop by the fabric department and get some wider elastic. You don't really need the adjustment thingie, just sew it on so it is tight, and replace it 6 months later when it gets worn.

WalMart solves all our problems, right?