half-a-greek

What happened to the sky surfers?

What happened to sky surfing?

Since it's not a social form of skydiving most people find the fun runs out soon.

Neither is doing mostly hop n pops and swooping but there are still a few that do that:P:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Neither is doing mostly hop n pops and swooping but there are still a few that do that[Tongue][Laugh]

What do you mean? Even your whuffo friends can line up behind the beer line and watch your mad swoops. Seems pretty social to me.

Sky surfing is just you and perhaps a video guy and the only way you can share it with a few more friends is to show them some video at the end of the day. It also has that annoying board strapped to your feet that gets in yours and everybody else's way inside the plane.

>Neither is doing mostly hop n pops and swooping . . .

Lots of people look at you. No one can see you skysurfing.

Wow dictionary police thanks for 10th definition of social:S

Being social is more about doing things with other people not alowing others to watch you show off.

It was a joke. That is normally indicated by:P,:D, or :ph34r:. Better luck next time;)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

They used to cause too much commotion on the airplane, so we burned their boards.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

What happened to sky surfing? I have heard from a few old time skydivers that it is a sport dieing out within our sport, but the question I ask is why? How many people out there sky surf still?

They died.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Most people are either too scared to get into it or dead. There are still a good bit of them that I know of, but very few.

Edit: There are videos on YouTube of a few guys that were doing it back in the 80s or 90s. I believe some of them are still doing it.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I met one at Skydive Alabama a few weeks ago. Only one I've ever met.

I witnessed one jump at Skydive Carolina back when Fantastic Four 2 was about to come out, him about 20 other jumpers were promoting it by doing a demo into Charlotte Motor Speedway, Lowes Speedway or whatever that place is called now.

Not sure what his name was. I know he wasn't American. Ian or something like that maybe.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

what's up man?
yeah, skysurfing is alive and well at skydive alabama.;)
i look at a surfboard jump as more of a stunt than a skydive. once you lose control of the board it is very difficult to regain. if it starts a spin, forget about it.
i think most skysurfers finally decide that the risk is not worth the reward. still, it is fun, fun, fun, and challenging. i personally have a strong desire to experience everything our sport has to offer, except for the injuries!!! hope i live through it:)

I witnessed one jump at Skydive Carolina back when Fantastic Four 2 was about to come out, him about 20 other jumpers were promoting it by doing a demo into Charlotte Motor Speedway, Lowes Speedway or whatever that place is called now.

Not sure what his name was. I know he wasn't American.

he is Swiss, and we Swiss are damn slow :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I met one at Skydive Alabama a few weeks ago. Only one I've ever met.

that would be pete. when we weren't wingsuiting he was rocking the board pretty good. I got some sweet video of a couple of his jumps. I had a blast shooting the footage. hope to make some more with him this weekend.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Not sure what his name was. I know he wasn't American.

he is Swiss, and we Swiss are damn slow :|

Could be worse. Belge... ;)
Remster

I'm not against sky surfing but there are a couple issues I've noticed:

One impression is that there's so much one can do in freeflying these days, with other people, that it isn't worth getting into the complications of a board.

One other impression:

I saw videos of wingsuiting from a world championships about 5 years ago. Spin spin spin spin, transition, spin spin spin, transition, spin spin spin, and so on.

Were they demonstrating great skill and control, that took time to acquire? Yes. But did it start to look a bit boring and pointless? Yes.

Not sure what his name was. I know he wasn't American. Ian or something like that maybe.

Oliver Furrer; he's Swiss, from Niederuzwil...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I saw videos of wingsuiting from a world championships about 5 years ago. Spin spin spin spin, transition, spin spin spin, transition, spin spin spin, and so on.

Were they demonstrating great skill and control, that took time to acquire? Yes. But did it start to look a bit boring and pointless? Yes.

Yeah, well, so does synchronized swimming - at first. And now look how that sport's taken off like a rocket!