kkeenan

Bat Wing Jumper

Yeah, looks photo chopped to me!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Okay, but even if that jumper's wings are photo-shopped, there's interesting stuff in that airplane.

For example, the sign says "no bare feet allowed". Why?

And on the back wall behind the door there's an instrument panel containing an altimeter and something else - a stopwatch?

That's a cool idea, so jumpers can check their altimeters against another before exit, to make sure their knob hasn't been bumped, and their reading is correct. Also good for the whuffo tandems to watch.

What's the stopwatch for though? Timing intervals between group exits?

There's also an aerial photo of the drop zone on the wall, good for consulting for spots.

What's that black panel to the left of the altimeter panel?

It looks to me like this aircraft owner is going out of his way to outfit this plane with goodies for jumpers.

It looks like an Otter. Anyone recognize this plane?

I would say that is a good guess when adding the atire of the jumper (minus the shopped stuff).

The stop watch may be for timing patterns and TOT for Demo's in answer to the poster who asked. When on a few smaller Demo Team's We usually have them on an altimeter mount on the jumpers.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Okay, but even if that jumper's wings are photo-shopped, there's interesting stuff in that airplane.

For example, the sign says "no bare feet allowed". Why?

And on the back wall behind the door there's an instrument panel containing an altimeter and something else - a stopwatch?

That's a cool idea, so jumpers can check their altimeters against another before exit, to make sure their knob hasn't been bumped, and their reading is correct. Also good for the whuffo tandems to watch.

What's the stopwatch for though? Timing intervals between group exits?

There's also an aerial photo of the drop zone on the wall, good for consulting for spots.

What's that black panel to the left of the altimeter panel?

It looks to me like this aircraft owner is going out of his way to outfit this plane with goodies for jumpers.

It looks like an Otter. Anyone recognize this plane?

Yes, I recognize it in spite of some apparent Photochop. I have lots of jumps from this particular Otter (UV-18B in Air Force "speak"), belongs to the Air Force Academy as others have speculated, the numbers on the instrument panel are part on the aircraft's N number and it's Air Force call sign is Congo 65. The photochop'd jumper is also wearing Air Force Academy gear. The stopwatch is, or used to be, for timing WDIs (that might need explaining for some that haven't been around real long...). The black panel has red and green lights for controlling exits, a toggle switch for relaying spotting corrections to the pilot, and some other junk for jumpmaster comms with pilots and PA. And the DZ photo is used just as you indicate.

I have lots of jumps from this particular Otter (UV-18B in Air Force "speak"), belongs to the Air Force Academy as others have speculated, the numbers on the instrument panel are part on the aircraft's N number and it's Air Force call sign is Congo 65. The photochop'd jumper is also wearing Air Force Academy gear. The stopwatch is, or used to be, for timing WDIs (that might need explaining for some that haven't been around real long...). The black panel has red and green lights for controlling exits, a toggle switch for relaying spotting corrections to the pilot, and some other junk for jumpmaster comms with pilots and PA. And the DZ photo is used just as you indicate.

Thanks for that explanation. That's a nice setup! WDI's - I hadn't thought of that.