mxcale

attn doctors and or people with appendix removed

i just had my appendix taken out saturday night. i had a skydiving trip planned for this coming up weekend and now i dont know if i'm gunna make it. doctors: should i skydive 1 week after havin my appendix removed? and people with appendix removed: how long after removal did u wait to jump? thanks everybody and hav a good week

I'm not going to make any medical advice here.

Based on my experience many years ago, I'd be surprised if you'll actually feel like doing it. Even riding a bicycle was not pleasant for a few weeks due to the abdominal cuts.

Don't you still have stitches? Or has methods moved on to something more like a scope job?

i had my galbladder? (not sure if i rape the english language there), but it was removed the "easy way" through a small hole made under my bellybutton, i dont know the english word for the type of operation.

I jumped after 6 days or so. no problems.

Most doctors cant give you more than a blank look when you ask after how long you can skydive again, others just tell you to wait weeks and weeks, just to be sure.

Just take it easy the first few days after the surgery.

Btw i did some hop and pops the first couple of days, i figured that would not put so much strain on my stomach.

i did, but it was removed the "easy way" through a small hole made under my bellybutton, i dont know the english word for the type of operation.

If it is a half inch hole, that'd be an endoscope operation, I think. Recovery times are pretty quick with those, but vary greatly from person to person.

mxcale - Ask a doctor about whether you can do "sports activities" next weekend, and just be vague ("all kinds" or "which kinds will you allow me?") when pressed to be specific.

That said, I wouldn't recommend jumping, but definitely avoid high risk jumps if you can, and hopefully you don't jump a fast-opening canopy!

i assume they scoped you like they did me. I had 3 1-1.5" incisions: under my belly button, left side of my abdomen, and one more about 2-3 inches up from my johnson.

THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE. In my experience, they suggested 4 weeks. I felt fine and jumped 10 or 11 days after, I'm still fine 3ish years later. There was no way i was even thinking about jumping 5 or 6 days post op though, felt too weird, couldnt move well. After about a week it began to feel way better each day. Went to the DZ, did a couple sprints in the landing area and some basic calisthenics. Decided to do a hop n pop and did some hard turns under canopy, including riser turns, landed no prob, all was good in the world. Was a good weekend as i had just received my first rig.

It was just before or just after my 22nd birthday and I was in pretty darn good shape @ the time. around jump #80 on a 190 safire loaded @ 1.2ish, wings container, previous 60 jumps on a 210 or 190, and all 80 jumps had been made within about 8-10 months.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

i feel pretty good today and imagine i'l feel good enough to jump by the weekend. i have three ltl cuts. two are less than 1/2 inch and one that is one inch. i jump a pilot 168 loaded 1.1 so openings are soft as can be. especially if u tuck the nose or get really crazy and roll then tuck! keep the comments coming tho and thanks to everybody so far

Hi Mx

I'll let others comment about the wisdom of taking the fast track thru your recovery, except the sky isn't going anywhere.

Did you get a video of your operation? (The autoscopic stuff is done with a camera.) Will you post it?

If you do the fast track back to jumping and something inside accidently lets go and you have to go back in for a quick repair. Tell the docs you want video and post it:)

One Jump Wonder

Hi Mx

I'll let others comment about the wisdom of taking the fast track thru your recovery, except the sky isn't going anywhere.

Did you get a video of your operation? (The autoscopic stuff is done with a camera.) Will you post it?

If you do the fast track back to jumping and something inside accidently lets go and you have to go back in for a quick repair. Tell the docs you want video and post it:)

Is that like a fetish or something??

I had the nerve to go to the hospital with appendicitis on Super Bowl Sunday night of 2008. :D

My appendix was removed laproscopically the next day. I hadn't skydived yet but I remember, after the pain pills wore off the morning I was released from the hospital, that it HURT for like a week, followed by some soreness (like I worked out my abs really hard at the gym) for another week or so.

If I remember correctly, doctor's orders were nothing "strenuous" for a few weeks. I didn't have stitches (the incisions you could see were glued closed). There's no way I could've properly arched in freefall....

The sky will be there... take your time and heal your body...

I hope you feel better soon!!! B|

Always be kinder than you feel.

I would not recommend skydiving this weekend. I'm fairly sure none of the doctors I work with would clear you to jump one week post-op. The surgery you had is minor, and chances are you would be fine.. That being said are you willing to chance the risk of bleeding? I hope you heal quickly.

Chuck Bryan Registered Nurse

lol! uh... i'l check on that vid for ya KRIP. and i feel like if i only improved as much till this weekend as i did from yesterday to today i'd be fine BUT i'm still probly going to heed the advice of med pros and not jump. its not worth the risk if sumthin could get really messed up. i just feel really close to being ok to jump and didnt know the unknown :) thanks to everybody so far and keep it coming please

i jump a pilot 168 loaded 1.1 so openings are soft as can be.

Not guaranteed. Your next one could be a slammer opening.

If you're feeling ok, you could probably get away with it. But...if you did cause internal bleeding, they'll open you up again, and this time urgency might mean bigger cuts and a much longer recovery time.

Another reason for caution is that you can't easily sense internal bleeding until it gets very serious. I had a minor case with my spleen and it was only detectable with a CT scan.

Why would you be vague about that?

Most doctors aren't familiar with skydiving and may often give distorted answers, from either lack of knowledge or from bias against skydiving. Since skydiving generally isn't as aggressive (for the most part) as, say, rugby/football, this means if doctor clears you for those, you're probably also OK for skydiving.

Obviously, my reply does not constitute medical advice, but provides an avenue for those with doctors that may be deemed "skydiving-illiterate".

There's no way I could've properly arched in freefall....

Who needs arching? come freefly w me and pitch on your head, it'll make great video! :D

lol!!! :D thanks but i was thinkin more of sitfly and then bellydown for a second before pullin. and the only time the pilot whipped me into the saddle i intentionally left the nose UNROLLED AND FULLY EXPOSED :) mama says stupid is as stupid does :) that was a bad idea btw!

alright had my post op checkup with my surgeon and didnt exactly tell him about skydiving but just asked a few ? and let him talk. his words were "u can do alot to make yourself hurt right now but it would be difficult to actually injure urself. not impossible to rip somehting open but very very unlikely." sounds like clearance if i'v ever heard it!!!!! DZ bound on sunday boys!!!!!

...sounds like clearance if i'v ever heard it!!!!!
No.
It really doesn't.

Unfortunately, as physicians we can only make recommendations to our patients. Whether or not they listen once they leave the office is up to them. Most of the time people only hear what they want to hear.

Case in point above.

To the OP, I want to you to give this serious thought. Forget the part about actually doing serious damage to yourself. Think about the first part of the statement.

Think back to the pain you were in from the appendicitis that made you get your appy taken out. Could you fly a pattern with other canopies in the air, and land it safely while being distracted by that pain?

A broken leg or worse will certainly hurt much more if you get a nice sharp wave of pain right at flare time that causes you to not flare, flare unevenly and auger yourself in, etc.

In short, I know you have a low number of jumps. I remember how jump horny I was then, kinda like a teenage boy. You will likely be just fine doing this, but is it worth it when you consider the risk of how long you will be out if you do further damage, or new damage?

The sky will still be there next weekend, and the weekend after that.
And the next one.

i appreciate all the comments and i know its truely in my best intrest but i like to think i'm pretty in touch with what i'm capable of. i wouldnt jump if doc said no way absolutely not no matter how good u feel but i didnt even tell him how good i feel and he told me not to worry bout doing any damage. considering the physical shape i'm in i'm 100% confident i can jump and be fine.

I was about to reply with a well thought out response, but after your last post, you'll likely just disregard it anyway.

You're probably right though, I'm just a Board Certified Internal Medicine Physician with 13 years experience in practice, 1000 skydives and World Records in both formation skydiving and wingsuiting. What do I know?

Just a thought. Is it too much to ask for someone to interact with their physician as a person and not as an entity?:

OP: "Doc, you rock! You used your extensive training and years of experience to make my lap appy look simple with an excellent result and no complications. Sweet! (insert optional fist bump here) Lemme ask you doc, I'm a skydiver, the weather's supposed to be great this weekend and I'm TOTALLY jonesin' for a jump. Any problem with that?"

MD: "Well, ..." Here's where you describe the forces encountered during a skydive and he explains if you should hold off jumping for a while, and, most importantly, why. That way you're clear about the possibile complications and how to avoid them, he's gained some information regarding skydiving and when this type of "can I/should I" question comes up again, and it will, you'll be able to give an educated response, not just a wild-ass guess.

I was about to reply with a well thought out response, but after your last post, you'll likely just disregard it anyway.

Makes me kinda regret typing out what I said, but it just proved a point.

I don't want you to get hurt. Moreover, I don't want you to be incapacitated and hurt someone else.

I wish you the best of luck, because you certainly know more than we do.