gravitywhore

Unsupportive wife

Her argument is that it is expensive and it takes me away from the house on weekends and some weekdays and that it is dangerous .

There have been many posts by men in similar situations.
As the man of the house, you must exert yourself by informing your spouse that she will not dictate your choice of lifestyle.

List all the things that make you an adult.

1) You pay the bills
2) Work a job
3) Raise your kids
4) Own a house

If she continues to bitch, tell her that she has 2 children that she can mother all she wants.

In the meantime, grow a set of balls and don’t get pushed around by someone who’s taken a vow to respect and obey your wishes.

Hey YEAH I am going to go tell her right now that I am the MAN and I will skydive whenever I want and she should go cook something and go to a PTA meeting

ummmmm just wondering where you live so I can use your sofa after .....
Thanx any way man

[reply

If she continues to bitch, tell her that she has 2 children that she can mother all she wants.

In the meantime, grow a set of balls and don’t get pushed around by someone who’s taken a vow to respect and obey your wishes.

This might have worked pretty well back in the cave man days[:/]....Steve1

Her argument is that it is expensive and it takes me away from the house on weekends and some weekdays and that it is dangerous .

As the man of the house, you must exert yourself by informing your spouse that she will not dictate your choice of lifestyle.

1) You pay the bills
2) Work a job
3) Raise your kids
4) Own a house

Hey YEAH I am going to go tell her right now that I am the MAN and I will skydive whenever I want and she should go cook something and go to a PTA meeting

ummmmm just wondering where you live so I can use your sofa after .....
Thanx any way man

come on man, if youre scared say youre scared:)

mmmmm popcorn:D:D:)
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

She had her fingers crossed during that vow, so it doesn't count.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yes I am a woman, but I will not flame you. I'm married with two children and I skydive two days a month. I ABSOLUTELY understand the desire to break away and go play in the sky. But it would be very unreasonable for me to tell my husband (and kids) that I'm gonna skydive whenver I want to.

You are either married or single, you can't be both. And being the "man of the house" isn't about getting to do whatever you want, whenever you want to. A real "man of the house" possesses self-discipline and a sense of responsiblity for the decisions and committment he made.

Being a mother and a wife entails the same things. Yes, sometimes it can be a pain in the butt, but it is the life we've chosen.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

1) You pay the bills
2) Work a job
3) Raise your kids
4) Own a house

Then try supporting your skydiving habit while paying two households, child support and alimony....
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

...I do not get upset because I can't go jumping every weekend because I'm just so thrilled I get to skydive at all. I'm glad I found it...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Bingo. I'm lucky to make 30 jumps per year, but after all this time I still like everybody and have a great time passing through the DZ for a few hours.

Even so, my wife would like me to decide I don't want to jump anymore. She made a tandem back in 1990 and is not really worried about an accident; The issue is the money and the fact that I have a hobby in the first place, as well as the money. (This mood usually flares up every 120 days or so when it's time to get the rigs serviced. )

This is one reason I get soap-boxey when the subject of arbitrary standards of currency are discussed. It's so much easier to juggle DZ life with real life if we have the flexibility to decide not to jump for a few more weeks so as to focus on priorities, without being penalized upon our return. Anyone who has made a few dozen jumps or more is capable of returning after a layoff with minimal fuss and NO extra expense. The biggest obstacle is the oft-repeated hand-wringing about not running afoul of USPA "recommendations" which were conceived by people who frequently & effortlessly spend time at the DZ.

Cheers,
Jon

The issue is the money and the fact that I have a hobby in the first place, as well as the money.

Your wife needs to understand that you occaisionally need to do something for yourself. If you are only making 30 jumps a year, that isn't too much to ask.

Money is a big issue. I found another way to make some extra cash, and I use this for my skydiving fund.

I quit skydiving for about twenty years after I got married and started having kids. I did have other hobbies though to keep myself sane. You should be able to something that brings you happiness. There's more to life than just work and family....Steve1

Sorry dude, but if you decided to have kids then they always come first, no ifs no buts. I'm in exactly the same boat. I just have to accept that for now I just have to wait for jumping. This year it has changed. Both my kids are at preschool/grade 1, and I don't work fridays (self-employed ; ) So I get half a day a week, every week, to jump. Next year its a whole day. You are second best behind your kids. Simple as that

Let me give you a secret, just dont tell my wife. Get to the point where you can become an instructor/coach. Now, it not only does not cost you money, but you will make a few dollars. Your wife will see you making some extra cash for the family and eventually start to treat it as a part time job. Very important: act tired when you come home, tell her how hard work is , and how mentally draining it is. You can start an account and tell her you are saving all of your skydiving money for a family vacation. Of course dont put it all away. Oh yeah does your wife read the forumn? If so disregard the previous...your screwed. or you can always pull the red handle.

Let me give you a secret, just dont tell my wife. Get to the point where you can become an instructor/coach. Now, it not only does not cost you money, but you will make a few dollars. Your wife will see you making some extra cash for the family and eventually start to treat it as a part time job. Very important: act tired when you come home, tell her how hard work is , and how mentally draining it is. You can start an account and tell her you are saving all of your skydiving money for a family vacation. Of course dont put it all away. Oh yeah does your wife read the forumn? If so disregard the previous...your screwed. or you can always pull the red handle.

Bro.... that was genius

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!

Just an update ... I have split with the Wife and am moving this Tuesday into a house on the airport:P
tried to make it work .. :(...I have been so much happier in the last few months since we split !!!
hope she finds it too ..
to anyone else going through it .... pull the red handle now , start enjoying life :ph34r:

Sorry it had to come to that (the split), but hopefully it works out for both of you. I can empathize with your situation as my wife too is not a big fan of me skydiving. However, I am lucky that she understands that it is something I love to do and would be miserable if I wasn't doing it. Besides, it gives her an exuse to have a little more lattitude in her spending; as she sees it, if I spend $100 on skydiving, she gets to buy $100 worth of shoes. Works for me!

All I can say is that I am happy for you.

You have your life back. I hope you have learned your lesson and that you never again let a women into your home. Play the field, but keep it casual.

I’ve always been opposed to marriage in modern society. Most women are simply unwilling to accept the dominant/passive dynamic that a marriage requires.

From the lack of financial incentive, to the declining social values in American women, there is just no good reason for a man to sign his life and future earnings away in exchange for treachery.

I’m happy you have evolved and perhaps you can help guide other men from making the same mistakes.

Good luck and God bless.

Just an update ... I have split with the Wife and am moving this Tuesday into a house on the airport:P
tried to make it work .. :(...I have been so much happier in the last few months since we split !!!
hope she finds it too ..
to anyone else going through it .... pull the red handle now , start enjoying life :ph34r:

I don't think this "goes without saying" - make sure you are there as often as possible for your kid(s).

I started jumping about 6 years ago , did 6 jumps then life got in the way ... 2 kids and wife , it was my decision to take the time off ..
I took 5 years off and just came back last summer . I only did a few jumps last summer and a couple through the winter . I now have 22 jumps (static line progression)
and am working towards my CSPA solo .. My wife has in the past been very supportive .. but recently she has been telling me that she wished I never took up skydiving and that she knows she can't ask me to quit because I will be miserable .. Her argument is that it is expensive and it takes me away from the house on weekends and some weekdays and that it is dangerous .
I have been trying to keep a balance with the amount of money/time I spend at the DZ but it seems it isn't enough ....
what I'm thinking is that if she is getting upset now .. I can't imagine what she's going to say when I tell her I'm buying my own rig and going to this Boogie and that tunnel
any advice that would help would be great ... other than the obvious SIDS comments
she is also worried that I am going to run off with a skydiving chicky .... oh we have been together for almost 10 years too
and have a 7 year old and a 15 year old

please some help from anyone who has been through something similar

loooool marriage, lol jealousy... it's so obvious shes jealous of what you do, cause she probably don't have the guts to (not to mention the "you'll run off with some skydiving chick" drama)..

Divooooooooooorce.

Edit: just read the post above, FUCKING GOOD JOB DUDE. I advice this for everyone who has a whiny bitch wife. Enjoy your life dude B|
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean