bbs3232

Is it taking away from the jump?

http://broadbandsports.com/node/27403

What does everyone think of team skydiving/ competing like this?

I watch this video and think that these guys (or girls cant tell for sure) are missing out on how amazing the scenery is.

My DZ isnt right next to some tropical paradise and I STILL love just soaking it all in.

Now I dont have a ton of jumps under my belt, but I cant imagine it getting boring. Does it ever lose its edge? Do you need something to do on the way down? Do you start having to find other things to make it fun after so many jumps?

1. Yes, solo freefall is fun. Yes, solo freefall visuals are fun.
2. Yes, solo freefall can get REAL boring. Yes, formation skydiving (relative work) is lots of fun.
3. Damn, I wish my teammates and I were as skilled as the folks in this video.
4. Yes, folks find lots and lots of ways to play in freefall:

belly flying
formation skydiving like your video
large groups
goofy exits (horny gorilla, magic carpet, tube)
free flying
playing with toys (such as rafts or hoops)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Allegedly we compete. Our first meet was this past weekend in the Texas Skydiving League at Skydive Dallas and we got rather completly smashed by our very cordial competition.

We are a 4-way team (plus one camera flyer).

I don't know. I never saw more than 3 of you in frame at any one time! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

How many jumps to practice?

Well, that varies a lot. Fun teams like mine might have a goal of only 100 jumps in a season, while the open class experts might do a thousand in a year plus many hours of tunnel time.

A team does not rehearse a "complete run", like a dance. A team practices all of the formations and then a random draw of those formations is made to consitute the script for each of the competition jumps.

During each of the competition jumps (rounds) all the teams attempt to make as many of the specified formations as possible in the first 35 seconds after leaving the aircraft. If the team completes all of the specified formations, they repeat the list as many times as time allows.

4-way Formation Skydiving is widely considered to be one of the best ways to build bellyflying skills (outside of the tunnel).

My DZ isnt right next to some tropical paradise and I STILL love just soaking it all in.

The dropzone in that video isn't next to some tropical paradise, either. That dropzone is in CANADA! It's my home dropzone - Skydive Burnaby, just by the northern shores of Lake Erie and the team in question is Stratosfear who are former Canadian National champions.

I believe that jumping solo eventually gets boring for most people, but there are a few that still keep on jumping solo by choice for hundreds of jumps or more. That doesn't mean that when you go somewhere new you can't take in the scenery, but if sight-seeing is what you're looking for, rent a helicopter and go for a scenic ride. You'll get a lot more for your sight-seeing dollar than you ever will skydiving.

The dropzone in that video isn't next to some tropical paradise, either. That dropzone is in CANADA! It's my home dropzone - Skydive Burnaby, just by the northern shores of Lake Erie and the team in question is Stratosfear who were former Canadian National champions.

HAHA ok ok well maybe not "tropical":$B|B|

Maybe its time to look into new things..

If you really want to get your "sightseeing" value from jumping.... try full altitude hop and pops. Opening your parachute at full altitude and spending over 10 minutes soaking it all up is an excellent way to start or end the day (the visuals are more dramatic with low angle lighting).

There are a couple of technical issues about full-altitude hop & pops that your local S&TA and pilots can help you with. None of the issues are hard, but they are important: Exit order, winds aloft, spot, coordination with the pilot, dressing for the weather at altitude, etc.

:D:D:D Thats some funny shit there!

Hey I've got video of one of my early 4 way teams and there is rarely more than 2 of us in frame for the first half of the season!
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

:D:D:D Thats some funny shit there!

Hey I've got video of one of my early 4 way teams and there is rarely more than 2 of us in frame for the first half of the season!

Yeah but that's just cause Alex went low, you were scoping out the chick who exited after us, and me and Jim were wondering where the fuck you guys were:P.

***Edit....Anybody else see the irony of the word 'Tropical' being brought up so many times in a thread that was started about Stratosfear? Maybe something Fishy?
I got nuthin

Now I dont have a ton of jumps under my belt, but I cant imagine it getting boring. Does it ever lose its edge?

Yes.

Do you need something to do on the way down

Yes.

Do you start having to find other things to make it fun after so many jumps?

Yes.

I don't think a solo skydive from 10,000 feet at a familiar DZ would be worth riding in a Cessna 182 or 206 until it got to altitude even if the lift ticket was free. I usually wouldn't pay for a turbine ticket to full altitude to jump by myself but might do it for free; where exceptions would be things like flying a wingsuit by clouds.

I'd pay to get out at 3000-5000 feet and swoop, or 2000-3000 feet for some classic accuracy.

The great thing about skydiving is that you can enjoy a myriad of aspects of it, but despite that, we all touch knuckles before getting out and share beers and talk crap at the end of the day.

Personally, I've never really been into the freefall part. It just doesn't grab me the way flying a canopy does, but some people are just the opposite. They see canopies as a method of getting down so they can do freefall again, wither competitively, hauling passengers, strapping a plank to your legs or filming friends... whatever really turns them on about it.
but we all get down and at the end of the day the little groups (mostly) go away...

Your idea of fun is just that... yours. If it's not fun, why would you do it?

Man, wouldn't it be boring if we all though the same stuff in the sport was fun?

:)

http://broadbandsports.com/node/27403

Now I dont have a ton of jumps under my belt, but I cant imagine it getting boring. Does it ever lose its edge? Do you need something to do on the way down? Do you start having to find other things to make it fun after so many jumps?

I don't think it loses its edge, but like all activities, in order to sustain interest, you're going to have to explore aspects of it that increase in complexity.

A lot of people think of skydiving that way because that type of skydiving is very stimulating. It requires skill and focus. It requires meta analysis of the sport. It's something where the difference between the best and worst is incredibly large.

I take in the scenery on the ride up. That's another good thing about doing RW: you get to sit next to the door ;-)

Your idea of fun is just that... yours. If it's not fun, why would you do it?

Man, wouldn't it be boring if we all though the same stuff in the sport was fun?

:)

Good point.. I think it really takes awhile to figure out exactly what you like/ enjoy the most. I think that can also change over time :)