chrismgtis

"Retiring" from the sport - Farewell and Thank You

I'm planning on "retiring" from this sport and selling all of my gear. Why? There are a lot of reasons, some good and some bad. It’s no one thing. When I started jumping I had a career with a fortune 500 company, plenty of money to spare, no kids, my own place, I was healthy and skydiving was the perfect thing I needed to enjoy life at an opportune time.

All of that has changed. I’ve not had a job for over a year. I have income, but my paycheck was cut in half and instead of barely denting my bank account I’m constantly breaking it. I have a 1 year old son now. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism early last year and now I’m very unhealthy. If I attempt to pack I sweat, my heart pounds and I recently blacked out trying. It kind of sucks having to find packers when you’re not at a boogie, plus it’s an extra six bucks.

For a year now I’ve been feeling less and less “into” it. I’m also realizing that this is just “fun” for me and it can’t replace what I really want out of my life.

I finally just decided to move on for now and go after what I really want.

There is one thing that I love doing more than jumping out of an airplane: playing guitar. I’m going to concentrate on at least attempting to find my place in the music business. It’s a pipe dream, but it’s the one I’ve wanted to live since I was 14.

I just don’t think I can concentrate on all this other stuff if I’m broke all the time, gone on weekends, spending money I don’t have, etc. I’ve got to buy medication, get to know my son and no longer neglect some things.

I’m planning on moving to Manchester, New Hampshire with a friend (near Boston) to see what the music scene is like out there. I’ve tried my best to make it happen in NC for 10 years and this state is a dead zone if you want a music career.

Don't even think about taking me the wrong way, I'm not happy about this, but I'm also not overly upset about it either; I did make the decision myself. I’m going to miss you guys (all of you). I really have nothing negative to say about anyone that I’ve ever met in this sport. The largest portions of the greatest people I know are skydivers.

When you think about getting out of a sport like this, you begin to think to yourself that you're going to lose a lot of friends, miss out on a lot of great experiences and countless else. I doubt that I’ll “lose” the friends, but I know that I won’t have the pleasure of hanging out with most of them anymore. That’s a bummer.

I’m going to miss the boogies and all the random fun stuff that happens on a DZ, the good people that you don’t find anywhere else, the people you look up to, people like Bolas that make you go “What the hell?”, things like beer butt chicken and wondering why people are walking around in t-shirts that say “Have you met Howie?” and “FNG”. I still don’t know what’s up with that. I try not to ask about these things and show how out of the loop I am.

I'll most likely end back up in this sport one day (if God forbids), but it’s time to call it quits this go-around. Why am I writing this and rambling about it? I feel like I have to thank a lot of people for their kindness, the experiences and the brotherhood. I believe this sport is more than the general public can possibly fathom and it deserves the praise that we give it.

An old friend Gunnery Sgt. Stacy would tell me that he got frustrated when people would call Marines no longer in service "ex Marines" and that it was better to call them "Former Marines" because “once a Marine always a Marine”. I think that applies here; once a skydiver always a skydiver. It’s a challenge you faced and conquered and now you are a skydiver.

Once you complete the challenge that is being a student and becoming a skydiver or just facing that fear of stepping out on that ledge willingly; I believe you're always going to be changed by that. It runs through your veins permanently. You’re suddenly capable of saying “Hell yea” to something you originally thought you would never do.

I want to thank a lot of people for pretty much everything they’ve done in the past 3 years.

Thank you Skydive Carolina.

James La Barrie for all of the numerous thousand things that you do for all of us.

Thank you Pete L., (the coolest AFF instructor there is).

Thank you Heidi for not just being an instructor, but for talking to me when I was down and needed a friend.

Thank you Ivan Ivanov for helping me change a tire on the side of the road in the dark when he could’ve been having fun at Carolina Fest instead.

Thank you Steve Vaughn for the water training, packing classes, hop and pop instruction and always taking the time to help me.

Thank you Judy Girard for teaching my first jump class, packing classes, water training, hop and pop instruction, answering another thousand questions.

Thank you to Louis French for doing one hell of a job of teaching me in the tunnel.

Others: Joey Freeman (AFF), Gene Stuart (tandem), Annette, Danny, Mike Rinehart, Adam Gardner, Kenn Ouzts, Kerri Pyne, Nancy Newman, Rachael La Barrie, PARACLETE, Eric (for putting me over the DZ every time) and everyone I failed to mention.

Blue Skies!

Chris
USPA B-32561
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

A few years ago I made the same decision for almost all the exact same reasons. I didn't start selling me gear off untill just recently though.

It is tough for a little while, but once you find yourself busy with other stuff that you love. (ie. playing with your son), you will quickly begin to learn that skydiving is not something you gave up rather it is something else you have done that has made you the man that you are. You aren't quitting something, just moving on to things that are more important right now.

It took a season for me to shake the urge that I just want to get out there, but then I almost completely let it go and have never looked back. (Untill I started selling my gear and go hooked on this stupid website again ;).

Once in a while you will be driving around and look up that blue sky and see those puffy white clouds and realize something. You at least have memories of being up there while all those around you have absolutely no clue. That puts you WAY ahead of most when it comes to understanding what this life and this planet has to offer. If you take that forward with you and allow skydiving to shift your paradigm of life, it will continue to bring you great things on the ground for years to come.

Cheers,
Trev

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

wow, chris, i'm just barely getting started here, and feel like i'm really going to miss you!

i agree that to open a new door, sometimes we must close one. and for me, as hard as it may have seemed at the time, it has always led me to yet another adventure and a better place.

i also want to commend you for having the courage to follow your passion. i think alot of people cling to the "security" of what they think is "safe" and never take the chance.

i hope that as you follow your dream of a music career, you find what you are looking for in life.

best of luck to you!
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

My friend fucked up his neck by testing new helmet against the wall... resulting in leaving skydiving for good.:(

I've allways admired him for being not pathetic about it.

...shit happens... enjoy guitar, maybe we will too...

Hey Chris,

I truly believe in the saying "Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…. it’s about learning to dance in the rain."

And although right now you may think that it is raining, I can't be happier to see that your going to be pursuing your childhood dream. Too often these days people lose sight of the dream and get forced and cornered into a profession where they are miserable. If you haven't already read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch, then I think that you should! It is an awe-inspiring book about pursuing your childhood dream.

You can find it here - http://www.amazon.com/Last-Lecture-Randy-Pausch/dp/1401323251

Kudos to you for once again "stepping out onto the ledge", this time with your music!

And as others have said, the skies will always be there :D

Until 2012.

But that is a whole 'nother story.

Take Care

wow, chris, i'm just barely getting started here, and feel like i'm really going to miss you!

i agree that to open a new door, sometimes we must close one. and for me, as hard as it may have seemed at the time, it has always led me to yet another adventure and a better place.

i also want to commend you for having the courage to follow your passion. i think alot of people cling to the "security" of what they think is "safe" and never take the chance.

i hope that as you follow your dream of a music career, you find what you are looking for in life.

best of luck to you!

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't inspire people to miss me all that often. :D But yea, I'm a big believer that life is NOT worth living if you settle for less than what is your dreams and personally I'm miserable and hat myself every single day I'm not actively pursuing these goals. I guess I finally realized I had sat around too long. I love skydiving, but it's not my dream.

Kudos to you for once again "stepping out onto the ledge", this time with your music!

And as others have said, the skies will always be there :D

Thanks man. I might end up living in my car, but at least I'll be trying. :P

I'm selling my gear, so in case anyone reading this is interested, here are the details.

175 Triathlon Main (about 100 jumps)

175 Smart Reserve (1 "jump")

Javelin 2 Container (dated 1993 - but I had $500 in mods made to it about 2 years ago). The container is black with a sort of green/blue part on the back. It's in great condition. I hear that since it's so old that is the main problem people will notice, but personally I love this rig. I've had it since jump 32-35.

Pilot Chute (about 2 years old - barely any wrinkles)

PD Altimeter (about 1 year old)

XXL (Not 100% sure on size) Optik camera helmet - no screw holes or D-BOX, I never got around to it and I didn't have enough jumps yet. I've used it on only about 10 jumps.

I originally was asking $2500 for the rig, but I'll throw in the altimeter and camera helmet too. If the helmet doesn't fit you, I'm sure you could get $200 out of it.

AAD - the one I had expired so none is included.

I have a bag that I used to store all my gear in, minus the rig itself (helmets, altimeters, etc). You're welcome to have it, but it's not worth anything and you might wanna blow it out with an air hose :P.

I'm not sure what I'm leaving out. Just ask.

you'll be hard pressed to get $2500 for your gear. And your post may be deleted shortly by one of the mods as "advertising is not allowed"

Post it here : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?page=post_ad;d=1

and sell the helmet separately, you'll end up getting more $$$ overall.

good luck in your future ventures

I've seen a lot of people come and go in the sport, but it's just a sport. The friendships, even when they become distant, still last forever. You'll always have a spot around the bonfire with us, and memories to share with us. Take care of yourself, and your son, and live your life, however you may need to live it.

A lot of people leave the sky for a while, but come back years later. Take comfort in that thought, if you like. The sky will always be there waiting. :)

you'll be hard pressed to get $2500 for your gear. And your post may be deleted shortly by one of the mods as "advertising is not allowed"

Post it here : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?page=post_ad;d=1

and sell the helmet separately, you'll end up getting more $$$ overall.

good luck in your future ventures

Well... whatever. A few people asked. Instead of sending multiple emails I just threw it in here.

Sorry to lose you brother!! I also am facing losing the sport due to an injury. I am holding on to the very last shred of hope that I will be able to continue to jump. Just remember when things in your life turn around the sky will always be there for you. If I am still jumping and still have my AFF ticket I will even pay for your re-currency!!

Live well and care for your son!!

Feeble

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Bummer man...don't even know ya but have read tons of your posts...Make a jump again soon

Lonne

One of these days. B| Another problem I didn't mention is I owe the IRS $700. I've got $60 in the bank. :S

Oh and the windshield on the passenger side of my car just made a "cracking" sound and now it won't go all the way up.

Damnit, what is the deal with stuff breaking when you get back from a trip?

From one guitar-playing and skydiving Chris to another:

As a guitar and music theory instructor (GMTI!!), I will give you the same mini-speech I give all of my students (or at least the ones who act as if they give a shit):

There are sounds in our minds and hearts. There are physical abilities within our bodies, in our arms and hands. Your job, as a practicing musician, is to remove as many barriers that exist between your mind and body as you can - you must train, just as an athlete trains, so that you can bring those sounds to life.

Being great on your instrument centers around one word: Maintenance. Just as you'd want to remain current in skydiving, you'll need to maintain your skills on a daily basis - remember, 30 minutes every day is better than 4 hours on sunday afternoon. If you were training to become a plumber, you'd be doing some very specific things on a daily basis to help prepare you for that job; take your future job as a pro musician seriously enough to put in the time it takes to become great. It can be done!

Learn music/chord theory if you don't know or understand it yet - there is no excuse for us not to know those things just because we play the coolest fuckin' instrument on the planet. Don't just be a great guitarist - BE A GREAT MUSICIAN!!! (Tabs are ok in the beginning, but you MUST know how to read a "lead sheet." (PM me for more details on that, if you want.)

Having said all of that, remember that the sky will always be there, and so will we. :)
Oh, one last thing:

As someone who's had to periodically sell-off "excess" music gear (READ: Stuff I'm not using this month, but will have to borrow next month!), I'm going to say, "Don't sell your gear!" (Skydiving or music!)

Ok, this is really the last thing:

Remember that not all successful musicians are famous - in fact, most are not. It is possible to make a living with a guitar in your hands, but you gotta hustle!!

Chris
(Gato)

T.I.N.S.

From one guitar-playing and skydiving Chris to another:

As a guitar and music theory instructor (GMTI!!), I will give you the same mini-speech I give all of my students (or at least the ones who act as if they give a shit):

There are sounds in our minds and hearts. There are physical abilities within our bodies, in our arms and hands. Your job, as a practicing musician, is to remove as many barriers that exist between your mind and body as you can - you must train, just as an athlete trains, so that you can bring those sounds to life.

Being great on your instrument centers around one word: Maintenance. Just as you'd want to remain current in skydiving, you'll need to maintain your skills on a daily basis - remember, 30 minutes every day is better than 4 hours on sunday afternoon. If you were training to become a plumber, you'd be doing some very specific things on a daily basis to help prepare you for that job; take your future job as a pro musician seriously enough to put in the time it takes to become great. It can be done!

Learn music/chord theory if you don't know or understand it yet - there is no excuse for us not to know those things just because we play the coolest fuckin' instrument on the planet. Don't just be a great guitarist - BE A GREAT MUSICIAN!!! (Tabs are ok in the beginning, but you MUST know how to read a "lead sheet." (PM me for more details on that, if you want.)

Having said all of that, remember that the sky will always be there, and so will we. :)
Oh, one last thing:

As someone who's had to periodically sell-off "excess" music gear (READ: Stuff I'm not using this month, but will have to borrow next month!), I'm going to say, "Don't sell your gear!" (Skydiving or music!)

Ok, this is really the last thing:

Remember that not all successful musicians are famous - in fact, most are not. It is possible to make a living with a guitar in your hands, but you gotta hustle!!

Chris
(Gato)

I spent the first 5 years playing 6 hours a day, pretty much every day (literally). In the last 8-9 years I've spent about 8 hours a week (it's harder to practice where I live now - people get bitchy). I still have a guitar in my hand every day though.

If I ever only spend 30 minutes a week practicing, kick my ass. I'll never sell off music gear unless I'm getting a replacement. I need the $2500 I can get off my skydiving gear right now though to move and pursue all this. :P

Been trying music theory on and off for years. It's very confusing to me and I've never had a good teacher. The scales are basically in my head though in a way. I can't tell you what dorian or the G major scale is, but I know what notes sound right with which music for the most part. :P

A neighbor that I had for about 18 years had a band in high school. He eventually moved to Wilmington after graduating. He now plays in a country band and that's how he makes his money every week. I won't ever go THAT far though. :D

Good post.

Not only am I a poignance junkie, but
I know about this life cycle, so I got a
double hit.

And I think you are right, skydiving
permanently changes us, and it will
probably somehow influence how you
pursue this and the music that you
come up with.

Good Luck.

Skr

Luck to ya, Chris! Been there, done that, with some other jobs/hobbies, but somehow life moves forward. I have revisited some of the things I left behind, and replaced some others (with Skydiving, for one!).

You are adjusting your life to it's current realities - money, responsibilities, etc, but those may change also someday - not to worry.

Play on, and jump again if you need to.
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Chris -

You've got my admiration for making a difficult choice.

You've got my congratulations for going after something you've dreamed about.

And you've got my respect for your words above - I'm sure you wrote them for yourself as much as for everyone who's touched your skydiving life...the sentiment is commendable.

Like everyone's said, the sky isn't going anywhere. And we'll hope to see you back in it at some point. Until then, I hope the road rises to meet you.

Good luck!
Signatures are the new black.