thrillstalker

pressure???

i start my aff jumps on the 18th. i noticed that my ears hurt for a little while after i did my tandem jump because of the sudden change in pressure. are there any tricks to making this go away or not as bad?

thanks,
mitch
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

i start my aff jumps on the 18th. i noticed that my hears hurt for a little while after i did my tandem jump because of the sudden change in pressure. are there any tricks to making this go away or not as bad?

thanks,
mitch

I don't think I have any hears...prolly something ELSE I gotta go buy so I have all the cool stuff! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i had a problem with pain in my ears after my tandem jump also. i thought it was due to the wind blasting them. now that i'm doing aff i have a helmet on, and it completely went away. i hope that's the case for you, too.

good luck with aff and have fun!
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

The change in pressure creates a squeeze on you ears (the inner pressure is less then the outer). same thing happens scuba diving.

The opposite happens on the way up, but the change is very gradual so its easy to compensate.

easiest way to fix it is to plug your nose and try to blow gently out, this will help equalize the pressure. I have to do this under canopy sometimes or when i get to the ground
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

i've had that for a looooong time.. wether my ears are fucked up now, or it went away by itself; i found chewing gum on the way up and down would help tremendously..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I used to take a dose of SudaFed before I jumped.Had some fluid in my ears,they used to CLOG and HURT if I didn't

Worth a try??

By the stuff behind the counter,not of the shelve
Bry
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I take a dose of Sudafed every morning when I get up before a day of jumping. Be sure to get the regular stuff and not the stuff with a decongestant because that will make you drowsy. Also take it several hours before you jump because it takes a while to start working.

I used to do the suphedrine(sp) thing too, don't have to anymore. Some people's ears hurt more than others. If you are a smoker you will have more blockage and it will be worse. Bottom line SIUCC. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

if you think that was a little bothersome then wait until the first time you jump having a cold.

note -- make sure wind is to your face and not across as to letting a low pressure area develop -- lest any friend you might have had at a higher altitude will --- well you can get the image.

also for what its worth during my tandem my ears hurt ridiculously bad during free fall, but once i started jumping on my own they were fine. I dont know what the difference is but im fine now
If that doesnt work do what everyone else said and take the medicine

I take a dose of Sudafed every morning when I get up before a day of jumping. Be sure to get the regular stuff and not the stuff with a decongestant because that will make you drowsy. Also take it several hours before you jump because it takes a while to start working.

You mean don't take the stuff with an antihistamine - that's what makes you drowsy. It's the decongestant that you want.

Me too. The pain in my head was so intense and searing I don't really remember much else from the tandem. It started after falling only a few thousand feet. I suppose the faster fall of a tandem equates to a more rapid change in pressure. Others on the forum who've had ear pain said they had been prone to ear infections as children. One said they had either a myringotomy or had tympanostomy tubes put in and had no further pain. I really want to try it again, but I don't think I'd attempt it without a tympanostomy tube procedure. Definitely worth consulting with an otolaryngologist rather than risk hearing loss, or more serious complications arising from the distraction..

BobbyR1990, you had bad pain in a tandem, but no pain on your own?

Anyone with ear pain try not yawning on the way up with any success?

Me too. The pain in my head was so intense and searing I don't really remember much else from the tandem. It started after falling only a few thousand feet. I suppose the faster fall of a tandem equates to a more rapid change in pressure. Others on the forum who've had ear pain said they had been prone to ear infections as children. One said they had either a myringotomy or had tympanostomy tubes put in and had no further pain. I really want to try it again, but I don't think I'd attempt it without a tympanostomy tube procedure. Definitely worth consulting with an otolaryngologist rather than risk hearing loss, or more serious complications arising from the distraction..

BobbyR1990, you had bad pain in a tandem, but no pain on your own?

Anyone with ear pain try not yawning on the way up with any success?

Yeah on my own im fine, i dont understand why though haha
Just remember to pop your ears before you jump and move your jaw around some in freefall (alot of people can pop their ears by simply moving their jaw, hence why chewing gum helps)