peek

"Family oriented" drop zone

Saturday we had some tandem families at the DZ. One of the jumpers asked a little 8 year old if she would pack for him....

That is the kind of attitude I think everybody should show!

Years ago I did the same with the girl of one of the jumpers. I noticed she only sat around bored when she had all her homework done, just to wait until her dad is reday to go home...

Guess what: She quickly became a very good packer! She did well on some boogies and everytime she visited the DZ she got a number of packjobs from everybody around.

She`s now 18 and last month - after getting ok from her mom, she started AFF... :-)

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

I spent a lot of time at the DZ as a kid. I enjoyed watching/learning how to pack and you couldnt get me out of the suspended training harness. They were obviously just humoring me but i was shocked at how many people would walk by me and scream "cutaway!"

Obviously i noticed a lot of bad language at the DZ. My dad didnt allow me to watch the simpsons or MTV until I was 16 so when it came to language my household was very strict. So why didnt they care at the DZ? Well, i was just taught very early that i am going to witness language and behavior from other people that is not acceptable for me to use. I honestly think that is the best policy. Kids are going to see and hear it no matter what, so instead of trying to sheild them it should be drilled in that it's just not appropriate. I was always told it was "adult" language, and therefore i must be 18 to use it. Since i was already aware of the "must be old enough" concept in other places such as driving and drinking this was easy for me to understand.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

*This isn't meant as a direct response to anyone.*

Sometimes the parents can be the problem. Non-supervision or over-reacting when someone dares to tell their child no, that behavior is unacceptable in this setting (when the parents are not covering this issue themselves).

I once witnessed a father confront a skydiver who had asked a 6 year old child not to talk to adults that way when the kid was spouting off his mouth in an innapropriate manner. The parents weren't within eyesight, and the children were roaming around unsupervised when the beer light was on. That exchange ended with the father going after the guy with a shovel. Now I wonder how that guys kids are going to turn out? :|

Everyone has a responsibility to control themselves, around children or not. Parents have a responsibility to control their kids (and themselves).

Get those things in check, and it's all good for everyone.

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I was always told it was "adult" language, and therefore i must be 18 to use it.

but the reality of it is, it's childish language that kids shouldn't use

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was always told it was "adult" language, and therefore i must be 18 to use it.

Maybe it would be less confusing to a child if it were explained in another manner? I beleive that was the case with myself. Later they can be explained a more accurate thruth when they are old enough to understand.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

And the reason they want to is because they aren't supposed to. The whole idea behind curse words is quite humourous... Of all the words in a language here are x words you shouldn't say because they offend people. Duh!!! Of course people are going to want to say them.

If people didn't give them so much or any publicity or stigma they'd be used far less often...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Family friendly or Family oriented may just mean let's keep things clean for/around the tandem crowd and their family members, I don't have a problem with that because they generally stay away from the packing area and other areas with a lot of "skydiver" activity

but it is a problem when certain folks think it is OK to bring their kids and just leave them to do whatever they want and go where ever they choose, when they are laying around in the packing area and you gently ask them to move and you get attitude - that is a problem, when they disconnect the video wires on the TV so they can plug in their game players -that is a problem, when they are at the late night parties and things get crazy and someone says "careful there are kids around" - that is a problem, when they take the creepers to go play on - that is a problem

the real problem is the parents thinking that their kids don't bother anyone

GREAT POST!!!!

Change all that to "dogs". Would you still be saying "Great post!!!!"?

And yes, it's probably your dog that disconnects the video wires.
:D:D:P

Yep, same rules for dogs.

I control my dog, others do not.
I take my dog AWAY from the hanger to shit.
This is not the case at all DZ's!
I think you know what I'm getting at. :P
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I think you know what I'm getting at. :P

Are you poking fun at the COUNTLESS pro/anti dog/kid threads on these forums?

Cuz that would be funny and sly at the same time ;)

I think you know what I'm getting at.

----------------------------------------------------------

This is key. Note what I posted earlier today:

Dog Sh*t
So last weekend I stepped in some right in front of the hangar and tracked it all over the packing mat before I realized it was there. *#%$*! Come on, guys.

Oh, and sorry to anyone that had to pack next to a turd smudge in the mat. :S:D

--------------------------------------------------------

Good man,
Keep doing what you're doing, Don :)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

But...but ...that doesn't explain what you do when the dog has to dump.
:S

Yes, I know, and agree with, exactly what you were getting at.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I am glad this thread lightened up a bit. As a parent who is addicted to skydiving I found myself getting worked up, but like the morbid curiousity that hits whenever one drives by a horrible car accident, I HAD to read through the entire thread. The fact is....we are all addicted to skydiving no matter what... right? and then you have the ppl who have children who have this love for the sport (ME ME ME) and then you have those who have no children and every single one of us are the same human beings but our circumstances differ....DOES IT MATTER. are we not all working towards the same goal....ANOTHER JUMP, another rush, one jump closer towards our goals.

It really isn't that serious....so what if you can't wear a bikini top....whatever,....so what if you feel you shouldn't cuss that much.....so what so what so what...at least you are jumping out of an airplane, fixing that need that we all have. Shit, people need to relax and realize that we are all human after all and that we could give just a little bit of ourselves up just for the comfort of another person, we'd FIND TRUE HAPPINESS....

then just smile... it really isn't that bad no matter how you see it.
"A man only gets in life what he is believing for, nothing more and nothing less" Kenneth Hagen

I think you know what I'm getting at.

----------------------------------------------------------

This is key. Note what I posted earlier today:

Dog Sh*t
So last weekend I stepped in some right in front of the hangar and tracked it all over the packing mat before I realized it was there. *#%$*! Come on, guys.

Oh, and sorry to anyone that had to pack next to a turd smudge in the mat. :S:D

--------------------------------------------------------

Good man,
Keep doing what you're doing, Don :)

Thank you.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

But...but ...that doesn't explain what you do when the dog has to dump.
:S

Yes, I know, and agree with, exactly what you were getting at.
[:/]

And . Thank you.
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I’ve watched this thread with interest and just wanted to add my 2c. I’m a step-Mum and don’t have any kids of my own so can see both sides of this. I believe that if we take the little man to the DZ he should not get in anyone’s way or impact their experience, thus we have taught him that if he steps on anyone’s lines he will be in serious trouble, if he touches anyone’s equipment he will be in serious trouble, and if he goes anywhere near a plane he will be in serious trouble. I have however, also explained why so he knows not to step on lines/touch equipment because he could cause a malfunction for that person and he understands it’s not just me being difficult so it gives him some ownership. We have explained rules like no drinks in the packing area as well and he leaves his drink outside without fail.

As for cursing, I’ve just explained that it’s for people who aren’t clever enough to think of descriptive words for how they are feeling and he hears them all the time at the DZ but I haven’t heard him use one himself yet. I have heard him comment that a particular person must have done really badly at school though because of the amount of curse words he uses……

The way I see it is that we are responsible for him and how he views the world. He will hear ‘inappropriate’ language and witness inappropriate behaviour on or away from the DZ but it’s up to us to ensure that he understands it all in the right context. He is not allowed in the bar when ‘grown-up time’ starts, i.e. after 8pm so we make sure that we take him home before then unless it’s a special occasion. That said, we are lucky(?) enough that we only have him every couple of weeks so do have the option of only going to the DZ when he’s not with us.

Well, i was just taught very early that i am going to witness language and behavior from other people that is not acceptable for me to use. I honestly think that is the best policy. Kids are going to see and hear it no matter what, so instead of trying to sheild them it should be drilled in that it's just not appropriate.

Very sound approach. Half the kids in Middle School are already cussing like a truck driver; so no purpose in pretending it's not out there and they never hear it. My daughter finds it awkward that some of the adults they meet think they never hear cursing.

Not that gratuitous profanity around kids is my habit; just that the fact is that some people are unable or unwilling to check their language based on present company, regardless of where they are at.

As far as the family friendliness of the DZ, or the family friendliness of anyplace, or any attribute of any place; it is determined by the population and their norms. If the local crowd feels it should be no holds barred 24X7 then it will be a completely different feel from a place where people practice some sort of moderation.

I like our DZ. Ther bulk of the adult shenanigans happen either away from the common areas or after pre-teen bedtime. Guess we don't have many people that have the need for sex and drugs in public in the middle of the day. But then again, it is Wisconsin.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I like our DZ. Ther bulk of the adult shenanigans happen either away from the common areas or after pre-teen bedtime. Guess we don't have many people that have the need for sex and drugs in public in the middle of the day. But then again, it is Wisconsin.

Well, this past weekend there was a load of women in lingerie and men in dresses ... :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Interesting Article I read this morning. Permission to drop the f-bomb on occasion?

------------------------------------------------------
Stub your toe? Say ‘Sh#!’ You’ll feel better
Shouting swear words has a powerful pain-killing effect, study shows

By Linda Carroll
msnbc.com contributor
updated 10:33 a.m. CT, Mon., July 13, 2009
Peggy Loper doesn’t know why, but she’s sure that the rapid hissed repetition of her favorite expletive somehow dulls the pain when she’s hammered her thumb rather than the nail she’d aimed for.

“Generally I start swearing even before the pain actually registers,” says the 48-year-old student from Salem, N.J. “And usually, the ouch-ouch dance, where I’m hopping from foot to foot, goes along with it. People have told me that I should try deep breathing, but I personally prefer to swear.” The F-bomb is her curse word of choice; that hard consonant at the end is particularly satisfying, she explains.

As it turns out, Loper may be right. British scientists have shown that swear words can have a powerful pain-killing effect, according to a new study published in the journal NeuroReport.

The researchers originally thought that swearing would make pain worse by focusing a person’s attention on the injury and its implications. To prove their hypothesis, they set up an experiment with 67 college students.

The students were asked to plunge their hands into frigid 41-degree Fahrenheit water for as long as they could stand the pain. Half were told to repeat their favorite curse word while their hands were submerged. The other half were asked to repeat a neutral word describing a table, such as solid or brown, while keeping their hands under water. Then the whole experiment was repeated with the two groups switching types of word. (Favorite swear words were, as you might guess, the ones starting with "F" and "S." But since the subjects were British, the researchers also got an earful of "bollocks.")

To the researchers’ surprise, the cursing group not only reported lower levels of pain, but also were able to keep their hands in the icy water longer. The men in the study, for example, were able to keep their hands in the water for an average of 190 seconds while swearing, but for only 140 seconds when uttering a neutral word.

The difference was even more pronounced in women. While men’s pain scores dropped by a point when they cussed, the women’s dropped by almost two full points.

The researchers aren’t sure why that might be, but the study’s lead author, Richard Stephens, has a theory. Women tend to swear less and that may make the words more powerful for them, says Stephens, a researcher in the school of psychology at Keele University in England.

Dr. Doris Cope, a pain researcher at the University of Pittsburgh, says the study findings make a lot of sense.

How much pain you feel when you stub your toe or hit your thumb with a hammer is a result both of the signals sent by the nerves in your body and of your mind’s interpretation of those signals, she explains.

And your mind can moderate those feelings of pain, says Cope, director of the university’s pain medicine program. The emotions let loose when you curse may somehow inhibit the pain response, because your brain gets distracted by the anger, she says.

Or it may simply be that cursing gives you a sense of control, Cope suggests. “You don’t feel the same level of helplessness. Studies have shown that when you give patients control over their own analgesia, they use less than when they have to depend on someone else to get pain relief.”

As for why cursing works better for women, Cope says: “That may be because cursing is a more emotionally laden activity for them,” she adds. “It might be interesting to take a population that swears as a matter of course — prisoners, say — and compare them to a group, such as nuns, who never swear.”

In the meantime, the study may just give the rest of us permission to just let go and explode with our favorite curse word when we bump our shins on the coffee table.

That would be fine by Stephens, “so long as there are no children around to hear you.”

SCS #8251

Well, this past weekend there was a load of women in lingerie and men in dresses ... :P

But were they having sex? In plain view of the public?

We are Wisconsinites, but not Amish.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

while i don't support foul langauge around kids and others for that fact, it happens. i do it, but then i'm just not a very clever person. that kid will grow up finding that there are a lot of poorly educated people based on a slip of the tongue. he'll quickly move to the head of the class, i have no doubt.

But were they having sex? In plain view of the public?

We are Wisconsinites, but not Amish.

Of course we were having sex while doing drugs in plain view of the public ... that's how we roll. :D

PS: Skydiving is an adult activity because of the risks not because some people can't refrain from discussing or participating in drugs, sex, swearing, etc... in front of others (at the wrong time and or place).
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

PS: Skydiving is an adult activity because of the risks not because some people can't refrain from discussing or participating in drugs, sex, swearing, etc... in front of others (at the wrong time and or place).

exactly - the activity is the adult thing, not the place

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants