peek

"Family oriented" drop zone

Family friendly or Family oriented may just mean let's keep things clean for/around the tandem crowd and their family members, I don't have a problem with that because they generally stay away from the packing area and other areas with a lot of "skydiver" activity

but it is a problem when certain folks think it is OK to bring their kids and just leave them to do whatever they want and go where ever they choose, when they are laying around in the packing area and you gently ask them to move and you get attitude - that is a problem, when they disconnect the video wires on the TV so they can plug in their game players -that is a problem, when they are at the late night parties and things get crazy and someone says "careful there are kids around" - that is a problem, when they take the creepers to go play on - that is a problem

the real problem is the parents thinking that their kids don't bother anyone

GREAT POST!!!!

Change all that to "dogs". Would you still be saying "Great post!!!!"?

And yes, it's probably your dog that disconnects the video wires.
:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

"I can agree with this. However, if the kid hears me say "fuck" or tell a dirty joke then that really isn't my fault. It was the PARENTS CHOICE to bring them to an adult activity."

Funny. I consider myself responsible for everything I say. I refrain from foul language, off color jokes and all kinds of stuff because I choose to be a respectful person. I don't expect the rest of the world to bend to my will no matter where I might be or who is around.

I would suggest that DZs are places of business and public accomodation. As such, traditional rules of courtesy toward others should prevail. If a DZ wants an atmosphere more like a low class saloon, they shouldn't advertise to the public without fair warning. Just an opinion.

And I bristle a bit that someone suggested that a DZ is an "adult" location. I see little connection between being an adult and having no self-restraint.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

"Children might have been within earshot?"

Were they, or were they not?

How far away is "within earshot"?

Where was I when you heard me say this, and what time of day was it?

You were on the packing mat, and I was about 20 feet away and heard you very clearly. I don't know if there were any children nearby because it's not something I was looking for. But I do know the hangar was full of people, of all ages.

Earlier in this thread you alluded to your opinion that using such language, even around adults, is "disrespectful" of others around you. So, when I observed you using such language at a DZ around many people, only days after that post, I certainly wasn't offended, but I was amused by the irony.

I thought so. You clearly don't know who I am. I don't pack on a packing mat, nor in a hanger. You've got me mixed up with someone else. Before you throw out such allegations, you should first know who the heck you're talking about.

It didn't offend me, but let's assume it offended someone. Or even better, let's assume it offended nobody, other than the DZO who had a policy against four letter words, like a similar policy mentioned earlier in this thread, which you seemingly approved of. What then?

It's his drop zone, and he is free to enforce whatever policy he wants. I'm free to jump wherever I want. I'm a firm believer in capitalistic freedom and free markets.

I don't think that most people would be offended by an occasional random "shit" slipped into a sentence. I don't think that's what this discussion is about. There are far more vulgar expressions, and frequent usage of them, that I think ARE a problem with most people, especially around children and tandem customers. And even other skydivers.

This is from the July issue of the ranch rant from The Blue Sky Ranch in Gardiner New York.

PREVENT DECAPITATION AND UNNECESSARY MAIMING: This weekend, Bernadette prevented a child who was on the ramp running toward the prop of a running plane from being decapitated. Emma stopped a child who wandered out into the landing zone from potentially being hit by a swooper. Both of these children had a parent nearby. Does a child have to die before people realize the importance of supervision? Adult playground folks. Adult playground.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I thought so. You clearly don't know who I am. You've got me mixed up with someone else. Before you throw out such allegations, you should first know who the heck you're talking about.

By "packing mat" and "hangar" I meant the carpeted packing area in the manifest building.

And the dropzone refered to you by name over a loudspeaker as you landed at the high school. So maybe they've got the wrong guy too. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

This is from the July issue of the ranch rant from The Blue Sky Ranch in Gardiner New York.

PREVENT DECAPITATION AND UNNECESSARY MAIMING: This weekend, Bernadette prevented a child who was on the ramp running toward the prop of a running plane from being decapitated. Emma stopped a child who wandered out into the landing zone from potentially being hit by a swooper. Both of these children had a parent nearby. Does a child have to die before people realize the importance of supervision? Adult playground folks. Adult playground.

Holy shit!
I mean, Jiminy Crickets!

Why must anyone use that kind of language in the first place...regardless of the presence of kids?

It gets quite boring to hear people flapping their jaws with every other word a cuss word.

Makes me think they don't have the intelligence to truly communicate.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'd like to get back to Peek's "women skydiving in swimsuit tops". I really have a hard time dealing with that. I mean, it's soooooo distracting, don't you think?
;)

Yeah, I agree, does anyone out there sell ZP Bikini's ? ;)B|:o
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Hi Gary,

Ture story. It was probably the late '60's or very early '70's at Ted Mayfield's dz in Donald, OR.

It was the weekend & I was packing my rig on a packing table when I noticed this father and his ~17 yr-old daughter come in and ask about making a first jump. About that time Ted leaned out of his office and yelled, at the top of his lungs, "Hey Fergie, some pussy wants you on the phone.' I immediately looked slightly towards the father & daughter and noticed a very crest-fallen look on the father's face. About 15 mins later I noticed that they had left the dz.

[:/]

JerryBaumchen
Not a prude

Hi Gary,

Ture story. It was probably the late '60's or very early '70's at Ted Mayfield's dz in Donald, OR.

It was the weekend & I was packing my rig on a packing table when I noticed this father and his ~17 yr-old daughter come in and ask about making a first jump. About that time Ted leaned out of his office and yelled, at the top of his lungs, "Hey Fergie, some pussy wants you on the phone.' I immediately looked slightly towards the father & daughter and noticed a very crest-fallen look on the father's face. About 15 mins later I noticed that they had left the dz.

JerryBaumchen
Not a prude

Hi Jerry

If he went to Ralph's first he might have got a pair of ear muff's and a blindfold for his girl child before he went to Ted's.

Not sure if Raphs place would be safe for deaf, blind female.[:/]

One of the first times we went to Ralph's for a freek brothers boogie (mid 80's). We went with some of the folks from a Family oriented Dropzone up north.

One guy's wife in the group was immediatly offended by the art collection in the hanger:D. Don't remember if ralph got to say hello or if they stayed for the boogie.[:/]

I'm guessing some people wouldn't consider DZ.com a family oriented web sight.:o

Thanks to DZ.com I now know if someone calls me a starfish that's not a compliment:P
One Jump Wonder

Hi Gary,

JerryBaumchen
Not a prude

Well if that father is willing to throw his 17-yr old daughter out of an airplane, but can't stomach her hearing the word "pussy," I'd argue his prioritied are fucked up (either that, or he is a pussy).

And yes, I understand the point of your post was that it lost the DZ business. Which is indeed a shame. I just wanted to complain about the pussification of America. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hi Gary,

JerryBaumchen
Not a prude

Well if that father is willing to throw his 17-yr old daughter out of an airplane, but can't stomach her hearing the word "pussy," I'd argue his prioritied are fucked up (either that, or he is a pussy).

And yes, I understand the point of your post was that it lost the DZ business. Which is indeed a shame. I just wanted to complain about the pussification of America. :)

suspect that 40 years ago that was not as common of a word to be saying in public
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Kapowsin Airsports in Shelton, WA tries to be kid friendly. Keri and Andy Farrington were just little kids when I started jumping there 25 years ago. Valinda and I, and many other parents, raised our kids at that DZ. Thank you, Jeff and Jessie Farrington, for making a DZ that we, and other people, could bring our families to.

Did our kids ever see outrageous behavior? Yes, and it was better than any D.A.R.E. lecture ever given in school. "Smoke a lot of pot and you'll grow up to be just like that idiot.":D:D Did they experience the death of someone they knew? Yes, and they grieved right along with their parents. Our children, so far, have grown up to be intelligent, responsible individuals. Not surprisingly, they have the ability to interact with adults better than most of their peer group. I daresay our dinner conversations are most scintillating.B| I think the DZ was a positive thing in their lives.

so... I don`t know which post to reply to best, so I picked the latest....

I think you make living yourself more complicated than it is. I have to say that I have 4 kids (3 girls 10 to 5 and a boy 9). They are regulary at the DZ and they are very familiar with all others and they know very good where it is safe to go and where not. They grew up there.
I don`t need to supervise them every second because they got used to everything which happens on a DZ and one of the first things they learned is how to stay save. I made it very clear even for the yougest what is strictly forbidden and they got it.

Regarding adult language: I think it is in everyones responsibility not to offend anyone else with poor language, child or adult.
If there is inappropriate wording and my kids hear it (and ask about it) I would explain that to them. If there is an individual who constantly use poor language, I would kindly ask the guy to take a little more care.
Otherwise, we should put fences around DZ´s and offer entertainment rides a`la quincy thru the DZ, only after signing excessive waivers before... :-)

At least, where I come from, Germany, there are always people around watching familiy members doing their fist jump/tandem and I think it would not be very wise to make the packing area a restricted area just because of poor wording from some individuals.
Of course kids who are on the DZ for their first time should be supervised, but this does not only apply to kids. There are numbers of supid adults also and they must be supervised also...
The DZ should make clear rules for visitors regarding to safety!

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de

Saturday we had some tandem families at the DZ. One of the jumpers asked a little 8 year old if she would pack for him, and offered her $5. That little interchange followed with her and her older brother receivinga simple packing lesson. In ten years or so I think two people will join our sport. All because a stranger took a second to value them instead of wish there were not there.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

***I think you make living yourself more complicated than it is.

Is that directed towards me? I think something got lost in translation. Other than that, I think I agree with you on most of your post.

No! John,
I meant that many of the posters in this threat make this topic much more complicated than it is! I just did not know which post to reply to, so I just picked the latest and that was yours - sorry for that...

alex

--
www.tandemmaster.net
www.skydivegear.de