peek

"Family oriented" drop zone

A woman told me about a drop zone she visited where she was not allowed to do a jumpsuit-less jump wearing a swim suit top. (I forgot to ask, but I think the bottom part was shorts, not swimsuit bottom.)

The reason given was that the dropzone was a "family oriented" dropzone and that kind of thing was not appropriate. (It seems that wearing a shirt over the swimsuit top until she was in the plane, and putting a shirt back on after landing would be OK, apparently meaning that a swimsuit top in the hangar/packing area/spectator area was the issue.)

(Of course there is the entirely separate issue of a potential slip of a swimsuit top captured on video, but assuming this type of thing was not shown in public, it would seem to not add to the basic issue.)

Anyone else have any experience with similar drop zone policies?

(Keeping in mind that a drop zone of course has the right operate their business any way they wish.)

P.S. My personal thought is that a raft jump simply begs for a woman wearing a swimsuit in the raft.

Yep, I was asked not to wear a particular t-shirt that the DZO found inappropriate, for the same reason (keeping the place family friendly). Said DZO also gave me a free t-shirt to change into. I was a little stunned but just chuckled and changed. Their business, their rules, and a t-shirt wasn't really worth making a stink about in my book.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

no offence, your post has made me chuckle.. :D

i think our dz is kinda family orientated. playground, lots of moms which used to jump, still jump, or come with their jumping partner to the dz. most, if not all of them wear BIKINiES.. :D
and the kids run around naked.. :D

but hey, its switzerland, we're a bunch of freaks anyway.. B|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

A woman told me about a drop zone she visited where she was not allowed to do a jumpsuit-less jump wearing a swim suit top. (I forgot to ask, but I think the bottom part was shorts, not swimsuit bottom.)

The reason given was that the dropzone was a "family oriented" dropzone and that kind of thing was not appropriate. (It seems that wearing a shirt over the swimsuit top until she was in the plane, and putting a shirt back on after landing would be OK, apparently meaning that a swimsuit top in the hangar/packing area/spectator area was the issue.)

(Of course there is the entirely separate issue of a potential slip of a swimsuit top captured on video, but assuming this type of thing was not shown in public, it would seem to not add to the basic issue.)

Anyone else have any experience with similar drop zone policies?

(Keeping in mind that a drop zone of course has the right operate their business any way they wish.)

P.S. My personal thought is that a raft jump simply begs for a woman wearing a swimsuit in the raft.

I haven't been to any dz's in the last few years but I can understand that in general they are not family friendly. I will never forget my stuck up highly religious parents coming to my DZ to watch my sister do a tandem and our resident nympho was on a sun-lounger reading penthouse or playboy:D. To be honest as a parent I took our kids to a DZ and they got to see someone kill themselves with a hook-turn about 50 foot away - for that reason alone I don't think that DZ's will ever be truly family friendly (i'd rather my kids saw tits than death up close and personal).
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

This is interesting. I almost like this guys approach, but I'd want to know more. Many of us blurt out profanity at times, but it's nice when we make an attempt to keep it away from the kids, or at least keep it confined to moments of anger and not casual conversation. A few years ago my kids were greeted by a guy with a shirt that said "He likes the cock" with an arrow pointing to one side. I decided I'd just tell the kids, if they asked, that it had something to do with farm animals.

In the '80's I jumped at a DZ where they had a sticker inside the Cessna that said "Eat, F***, Skydive." It's one thing to share such sentiments among friends, but what impression did this make on visitors who have boarded the plane for their first jumps?

Of course, the DZO set the tone with his foul mouth, constantly abusing the name of Jesus in a loud voice. Nobody ever mistook a DZ for a Bible study group, but a minimal attempt to honor basic standards of civilized conduct would not be out of place.

Cheers,
Jon S.

I've been to DZ's that did not allow naked jumps...

Some are definitely more family friendly than others or just have more kids running around. Prolly cuz they were conceived there...

However once the sun goes down, they better put those kids to bed or they might have some 'splaining to do...
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bill at Lodi will ask you to leave the DZ if he hears you dropping an F bomb. I let one slip and made a quick look around to make sure he wasn't within earshot. [:/]

Is this a joke?

Nope. I'm sure there are a few Lodi jumpers on here that will back this up.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Bill at Lodi will ask you to leave the DZ if he hears you dropping an F bomb. I let one slip and made a quick look around to make sure he wasn't within earshot. [:/]

Is this a joke?

Nope. I'm sure there are a few Lodi jumpers on here that will back this up.

Since I've never been to Lodi, I'll have to take your word for it. Sounds a little uptight to me. No disrespect intended. I know lots of people love Bill and Lodi.

bikini tops? That's over the top.

Regardless of where people jump or stated target atmosphere of the DZO for his operation, I've found "most" skydivers to be decent around kids. Those that weren't were more childish than the kids themselves.

When people define 'blowing off steam' as doing stuff targetted to disrespect others, then they need to grow up and figure out how to have fun for real. Because that's just juvenile postering anyway.

Kids at the DZ? no problem. But they absolutely need their parents to be 'parents' the whole time. They absolutely need a bedtime enforced.

In otherwords, if you bring your kids to the DZ, you can't be the jackass. You have to protect your kids FROM the jackasses. Because there is always a jackass at the DZ that just doesn't get it. And he's also the same one annoying the adults too.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It was grizzly size dog.
Think I exaggerate?
Poop was... like.. four pounds! :(
I've discretly picked it (hot, hot) and got rid of it.

Hell, somebody sniched me to DOG owner..es.
She was like: "Oh, you're so nice, thank you"
And I was like: "Sure, no problem at all, anytime" :S

Kids are great, they can understand (oh yes) how dangerous LZ can be.
Depends on parents exclusively.

What goes around, comes later.

Irritating, but it's their DZ, they make the rules.
Of course, every one of our tshirts for the Muff Bros is as
offensive as we can be without being arrested. :D

In Florida, the restaurants don't allow smoking, even in the bar area. So, I end up sitting at the bar with a 10yo girl sitting next to her dad, 3 chairs down. I can't tell a joke or swear.

I don't smoke, but I liked the fact that it kept kids off the bar stools.

When I want to talk about adult topics (even work or politics), I don't want little kids around.

Maybe he just didn't want to see her in a bikini. And Instead of saying, "you look gross in a bikini", he was nice and said it was a family oriented dz.

Q - you nailed it. It must have been a fat woman in a bikini.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Because there is always a jackass at the DZ that just doesn't get it. And he's also the same one annoying the adults too.

Your talking about me aren't you?? If you don't stop, I'm going to start wearing tight fitting biker pants... Oh wait, someone already does that!
B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

She was like: "Oh, you're so nice, thank you"
And I was like: "Sure, no problem at all, anytime"

Does that mean the same as:

She said: "Oh, you're so nice, thank you"

And I replied: "Sure, no problem at all, anytime"

or did you both really mime?

:P