kekilakeuma

question on lingo

i just completed my sixth jump in the SL course and the owner of the drop zone said he would sign me clear of the radio in my log book. i looked on my A license progression card and couldn't find anything relating to that phrase. Does it have any meaning beyond me not needing a radio anymore?

Thanks
K

i just completed my sixth jump in the SL course and the owner of the drop zone said he would sign me clear of the radio in my log book. i looked on my A license progression card and couldn't find anything relating to that phrase. Does it have any meaning beyond me not needing a radio anymore?

Thanks
K

From the yellow card (USPA A License Progression Card and Application):

Category E

Land w/o asst w/in 50m

If you jump without a radio you are clearly landing without assistance--although there are probably differing opinions as to whether a jump where you have a radio that is never actually used counts as "without assistance".
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Thanks
K

No.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

If you jump without a radio you are clearly landing without assistance--although there are probably differing opinions as to whether a jump where you have a radio that is never actually used counts as "without assistance".

Not technically true. There are some 182 dzs that use paddles instead of radios for landing. I would say those would count as assitance ;)

If you didn't know what the DZO meant, were you not comfortable asking him? If it's embarrassment, or fear of looking "dumb", or just simple shyness, put that aside. Your questions are a crucial part of your learning process, and they're a crucial part of keeping yourself safe. "Ask your instructor" is often one of the wisest pieces of advice in skydiving. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

P.S. - Having said this, if any DZO, instructor, etc. has an intolerant demeanor which effectively discourages students' questions, then it may be time to find another instructor or DZ. (I'm speaking generally; I'm not suggesting this necessarily applies in your case.)

P.S. - Having said this, if any DZO, instructor, etc. has an intolerant demeanor which effectively discourages students' questions, then it may be time to find another instructor or DZ.

+1
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

To answer your question directly...No, the phrase has no meaning with respect to your license progression other than, as mentioned earlier, relating to your flying and landing "without assistance" requirement.

"Without assistance" means just that. You could be carrying a radio that doesn't get used...we quite often do that. It's part of the weaning process. If your instructor doesn't have to use it, you flew unassisted.

The same applies to paddles, flags and any other signalling method used by the DZ/instructors.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239