Eagleeye

Ceiling height website??

Where does one go to get current ceiling height information for their DZ location? (website)

You can call the local AWOS. Even our pilots call that here.

Here's the website that has all the available AWOS/ASOS numbers:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/weather/asos/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Where does one go to get current ceiling height information for their DZ location? (website)

You can call the local AWOS. Even our pilots call that here.

Here's the website that has all the available AWOS/ASOS numbers:

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/weather/asos/

A much easier to use website with more information.... www.airnav.com
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Question: Howcomesit that parachuting isn't listed on the page for airport 57C ? There has been skydiving at this airport for over 40 years. Infinitely more skydiving than the ultralights that are listed.

How does one get this added?

One would think this would be important information to pilots about the airport.

Thanks.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Question: Howcomesit that parachuting isn't listed on the page for airport 57C ? There has been skydiving at this airport for over 40 years. Infinitely more skydiving than the ultralights that are listed.

One would think this would be important information to pilots about the airport.

Thanks.

YouThe airport manager needs to contact the FAA to get anything changed on that page. I was looking into that myself. Airnav pulls that information from an FAA database.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Most airports with identifiers like 57c are not listed on websites reporting cigs (or any kind of metar ob). Most of those airports are not equipped with ASOS equipment to take the reading every hour, and nor are there enough trained observers to go out and take a reading each hour to report it for each little pipsqueak airfield around. Your best bet is to find out what the nearest reporting field is, which will probably have a 3 or 4 letter identifier, and either go off of that or extrapolate between two stations surrounding your DZ, etc.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Most airports with identifiers like 57c are not listed on websites reporting cigs (or any kind of metar ob). Most of those airports are not equipped with ASOS equipment to take the reading every hour, and nor are there enough trained observers to go out and take a reading each hour to report it for each little pipsqueak airfield around. Your best bet is to find out what the nearest reporting field is, which will probably have a 3 or 4 letter identifier, and either go off of that or extrapolate between two stations surrounding your DZ, etc.

Are you responding to me? Or just cause i was last in the thread? I'm well aware of all this information and uh, don't call my airport pipsqueak!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Thanks for the posts. I found http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/ ,using the TRANSLATE option, to be the easiest to read since I do not know the pilot terminology / script.
Thank you Vanderhoof1 and others.

METAR is actually not hard to read at all

Weather Underground posts the METAR right under the current conditions along with a quick FAQ for understanding it. I find this the easiest way to find the cloud levels.

http://www.wunderground.com/metarFAQ.asp

Thanks.

If you look at the air chart, parachuting is noted on the sectional. Input 57C here at: skyvector.com

You'll see a nice big parachute next to the airfield. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Wasn't responding directly to you... just in general to the thread and your post was the last one I hit respon on. Sorry!

I'm so used to forecasting for large airports all over the world, so most of the municipal airfields are 'pipsqueak' to me... even my own dz! ;)

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)