ozzy13

Do you still log your jumps?

I am delighted that I logged my jumps. 35 years of jumping, and just last week a guy contacted me I hadn't heard from since 1975 or so. When you are an old, old guy one of your simple pleasures will be reading your log book. I regret not writing more stuff. For example, put down N-numbers for the airplanes you jump. It is interesting to google them years later.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I've logged all of my jumps but I put in a LOT less detail now.

I'm glad I still log because I had my Pro-Track stolen and without my logbook I wouldn't have know what jump number to use as a starting point for my new Pro-Track.

I log my jumps although it’s usually at the end of every weekend - not a lot more detail that I get off my pro track and which students I jumped with etc. If I go to a big way I put a little more. I put all my jumps from a day on a single page. It’s minimalistic but legal.

I just believe that having an up to date log book, USPA card, and in date reserve data card as my bona fides when I show up to a DZ (and I travel around a lot) is the minimum I can do to show my credentials. I can honestly say that I can show up anywhere any time show my credential and wiz through wavering, etc. at any DZ anytime.

Frankly, it annoys the hell out of my when someone shows up at my DZ and I’m called back to talk to them and they have a rig but no “credentials” and then expect to hop on a plane. We are actually a by the book kind of DZ. Then they want ME to call around and get people at their old DZ to vouch for their jump numbers and currency. It’s honestly rude. Why are they putting their problem off on me to solve for them? And it’s great when their DZ is closed for the day or no one answers…

Loging suck, it’s the no fun part of jumping. But some minimal effort goes a long way in the long run.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Religiously. I don't usually have them signed but I log each and every one. I am up to 13 full logbooks now.

I also record them in Excel so I can see trends, etc. I have been doing that for so long that the original spreadsheet was in Lotus 1-2-3 (for you kids and freeflyers, thats a old spreadsheet program):)

I use google docs spreadsheet to store the basics of mine. It is online so you don't have to worry about loosing it but also can be saved in PDF and Excel. It also has some goofy tools like putting the location onto a map.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/repcool.com/ccc?key=pGzbUQ89Ph7TlqlGASrX5LQ&hl=en

No I don't log. but i'm going to start logging my shits.:S

For the record, I'm not logging my shits. But it would be funny if your log book was a book of your logs left behind.:P

Not logging isn't for everybody, but it works for me.:)

LMAO, I certainly hope that "logging" is for everyone. :D:D:D

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I'm sitting here logging my last 100 jumps wondering why I am. I use a pro track. I have all the ratings I want and see NO reason why I need to log my jumps in a book. Its all on my computer.

Any thoughts????:S

Hi ozz,
It's on your computer, cool, can you print it out?? If you don't plan on jumping anywhere other than your "home" DZ, no problem. Read Reginalds post about someone showing up at his DZ with no "Credentials!!" Your logbook, USPA card (or what ever country?) and signed off reserve data card are your "Passport" in this sport.
If I was Reggy and someone showed up at my DZ with a rig, no credentials and wanted on the next load, I'd probably just direct him to the FJC!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I quit logging my jumps for a few months back in the 70's. Many renegade jumpers did that, back then. It may have even been considered cool, for a time. I always regretted that. As a result, I don't know for sure how many jumps I have.

If I had it to do over again, I would have also logged the names of more jumpers that I jumped with. On many jumps I left them out.

As Dark Wing said, it is fun to look back at fun times, from long ago....in a log book.

When I started up jumping again, it was hard. I had most of 300 jumps logged from back in the 70's. But the only license I had was a riggers ticket. Try to go to a big D.Z. and jump with that. Most places will quickly turn you away.

In the 70's you could talk your way on to a load even if you didn't have log books. Today things are different. Sue happy people have changed all that....

I remember once stopping at Ted Mayfield's D.Z. in about 75. I hadn't jumped in over eight years. I had no log books, or even a rig. I did a lot of fast talking, and he rented me an old P.C., and a belly reserve. Next thing you know I was on a beech load.

You'd never do that these days.....and probably for good reason. No wonder so many people bounced back then.....