npgraphicdesign

Jump numbers say B, but skill says otherwise?

So I'm at almost 50 jumps (1 away) and I've done my water training, done some 3/4 ways, have landed mostly within the requirements (except the occasional trip to the edge of the corn field :P), but my fall rates/exits need lot of work, as well as my belly flying. I don't feel like i deserve a B license yet, even though I am fairly certain I could pass the written exam, since I've been studying the SIM, absorbing information, etc etc etc.

I don't jump that regularly because of lack of rig (up until two weeks ago, when my used gear was ready) and because of the unemployment situation. I'm sure that has a lot to do with my troubles in controlling fall rate, etc etc etc.

So do I go for my B license without feeling like I'm truly ready for it, or do I just jump as much as I can, improve my belly flying, fall rates, etc...and then go for the B?

Have you met the skill requirements outlined on the B license requirements? Then you "deserve" a B license. At 50 jumps, no one expects you to nail every exit, or have flawless fall rate, or be able to bust out 20 points on a four-way.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Everybody's so hard on themselves early on. Don't worry about your exits, fall rate control, etc. I literally just had exits start working out for me around jump 100. My belly flying still needs work, but I'll occasionally have a great 3-4 way, and turn a lot of points.

You'll have your good jumps, and you'll have your bad jumps. What you really need to do is look at where you are now, where you were 20-30 jumps ago, and take pride at your current level.

Hell, I spent most of my 50-100 jumps on track dives. Tracking is something I was just good at, beginning in AFF when I did my first delta. Find what you're good at, get people together who enjoy that particular discipline, and just have fun. If you want to work on belly flying, find that group of people at your DZ that recruits random jumpers into 4-5 ways. I've messed up the dive flow plenty of times, but they still have fun regardless, and I've learned a lot of pointers since then.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I recommend tunnel time to accelerate your learning experience. It will mean a world of difference.
And with exits, don't worry about it just yet - it will kick in.
It comes to some earlier, to others a little later but eventually it will all click for you B|. Trust it, it will happen.
Now, take that test and get your B!

So do I go for my B license without feeling like I'm truly ready for it, or do I just jump as much as I can, improve my belly flying, fall rates, etc...and then go for the B?

the B is explicitly defined - if you meet the reqs and pass the test, then you can get it

I don't expect a certain level of skill from someone just saying they have a license. They need to show it in the air. Telling me you can cook a chocolate cake just prior to a jump will set about the same skill expectations as telling me you are a D license holder.

don't sweat it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Don't be so concerned about the licence classification. Your attitude and skills around the DZ are worth more than a letter after your name if you're looking for people to jump with.

The only time I've found licence grading useful is either if you're travelling a lot, but this can be negated with a decent, up-to-date log book, or if there are specific requirements for a jump you want to make that requires a certain licence - demos etc.

Word of mouth still counts for a lot in this sport. If you're an unknown, people will ask around to get the low-down on you, rather than just rely on the 'I'm a B licence'.

I was too lazy to send off for my B & C licences in the UK, so I'm trying to jump straight from A to D out here when I need to. Just for a giggle. :D