mmacro

Fighting back - Skyride

So what are you saying, everyone breaks the law so it's ok?

I think that his point is, it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black. As I understand, breaking copy right by sinking music to our tandem videos is violation of law and prosecutable for multiple infractions up to $25,000 each. That's $25,000 multiple times for each and every single video. Do 10 tandem videos in a day, you just may be liable for $750,000. Do it 200 times in a year, you could be looking at $15,000,000 +/-.

So, if you look at the dollars involved in the violation, or settlement, yes there are degrees of law breaking. Sort of like the difference in violating a speed limit, and murder 1.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

It also means that if you buy a ringtone for your cell phone, and you get a call while walking through the mall, you may need to pay a licensing fee. It also means that if you sing, "Happy Birthday" at your daughters next birthday party, that's probably a public performance and you could be sued.

Incorrect.

I have been a professional musician as well as a skydiver for over 30 years, and I make a good portion of income from publishing.

Happy Birthday has long since moved into the public domain. Feel free to sing it as much as you want.

Your purchased ringtone includes a fee for performance rights.

All music attached to tandems that you do not own publishing rights, or have directly licensed is copyright theft for the most part. People just aren't chased for it because there is no real chance of collection of royalties and the end user isn't selling them on.

However, I've seen a lot of commercially produced skydiving videos where the music is clearly not licensed. It was probably done unintentionally, but if they made any real cash, they could expect attention from the copyright owners.

However, I've seen a lot of commercially produced skydiving videos where the music is clearly not licensed. It was probably done unintentionally, but if they made any real cash, they could expect attention from the copyright owners.

And there's the key. Yes, it's illegal but it's not worth really pursuing until there's enough $$$ made or to be had.

The person who make a few hundred dollars from their BASE/skydiving video doesn't have much to worry about unless it becomes amazingly popular and makes big $$$ or they find out they're a trust fund baby. ;)

Sorta like any digital media piracy. They can come directly after people (and have) but it doesn't make fiscal sense to chase after everyone: the amount spent pursuing legal action and the amount collected would quickly be greater than lost sales, especially if you calculate how many would chose to not buy if it wasn't "free."

In general the effort is focused on copy protection and going after distribution networks, especially those that may resell the product.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

And there's the key. Yes, it's illegal but it's not worth really pursuing until there's enough $$$ made or to be had.

As you touched upon, the value in pursuit of any individual copyright violator, even if one w/o any real assets, is indirect, but still real: deterrence.