thrillstalker

how many jumps is to many???

i am starting my aff jumps this saturday. i am buying them as a package because it is much cheaper. about how many aff jumps should i try to complete in a weekend?

thanks

As many as you and your instructors feel comfortable with..

As many as the weather will allow.

Its not a race so just enjoy the journey.....

I was thinking about doing 3 in one day this week but decided to do 2 instead because 3 just seems like too much for one day. Sure it's possible but I think I would forget some of the details. Once you finish AFF 1 it seems like 2 a day is optimal imo, especially with how they line up with the SIM advancement requirements.
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

And remember, that moderate winds as well as moderate altitude clouds and broken summer puffy clouds will keep you on the ground. Also instructor availability and DZ capacity at some DZ's. You may plan 2 a day and reality by get 2 every three days.

One a weekend may be enough for some. Two a day plenty for most if possible.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

This probably varies person to person but I remember being wiped out after my first jump. It didn't hit me until I got home but I was super tired and out of it after that adrenalin dump. The first jump was the worst in that respect, I felt great after #'s 2,3,4 and 5. I would only do 1 jump the first day, after that you are pry good for 2 or 3 a day if you feel up to it and you don't end up sitting around waiting for an instructor all day [:/]

i am starting my aff jumps this saturday. i am buying them as a package because it is much cheaper. about how many aff jumps should i try to complete in a weekend?

How much cheaper is it to buy them as a package?

In hindsight, I wouldn't have done it. I thought I was buying 7 AFF levels, plus one extra for the package deal. What I bought was one jump at each level, plus one retry. If you find you want to go elsewhere, either for people or weather reasons, you're stuck.

Personally, 1 jump was the right number for AFF-1. 2/day thereafter until I did the unattached exit, then up to 3 to close it out.

2 a day has been max for me. i get all psyched up, go over the dive flow in my mind, and on the creeper, get all the gear organized, etc.... then after the jump, we talk about it, i think about it, and i just chill out for at least an hour-

by this time, half the day is gone, so one more jump is about it for me. last sunday i only made one jump. i could have done more, but my instructor was too busy with tandems, and then the weather got weird.

i also bought the package. it was a good deal. 10 free jump tickets for after aff came with it.

good luck!
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

How much cheaper is it to buy them as a package? /reply]

for 1800 dollars i am getting 25 jumps which includes everything from the equipment rental to the coach and aff instructors. anywhere else i would probably end up spending 2400 to 2600. the farm is also highly recommended.

"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Mitch,
I'm going to recommend:

Day 1: FJC and 1-2 jumps.
Days 2 - x: Take it one day at a time. We'll evaluate how you feel both physically and mentally. We will not let you over-do it. Learning and performance starts lagging when you get tired or mentally overloaded.

Instructor availability and loads turning will not be a hold-up.

I strongly recommend that you obtain a hardcopy SIM for yourself.

Welcome to the Farm. We'll leave the light on for ya.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I would agree with 3 max. When I was going through AFF I did 3 levels in one day, and at the end of the day, was more exhausted than I had been in forever. Its a new experience, your emotions are running wild, the adrenaline is coming and going, its an exhausting experience.

-Evo
Zoo Crew

If it's straight up AFF (7 levels) then the first three or four levels might require a lot of training and learning so that maybe three max would do it. But after level 4, it seems that the TLO's just get easier to accomplish so doing levels 4-7 in a day is possible. In fact, on another note, AFF was created back in 1981 to take place from about 9,000'. But with today's 13.5 there can be a lot of extra time if the TLO's are met high enough. So when I was an Instructor I used to actually combine levels 4&5 then 6&7. Same goals met. Money saved. But I then insisted that the student do a hop and pop and a solo jump before I'd graduate them.

It wasn't until I did 3 jumps in the same day (4, 5 and 6) that the butterflies went away. Freefall wasn't the issue, I would get anxious on the ride up and the exit. On level 6 just before the exit my inner voice started screaming "don't go near the door, you might fall" then I laughed and it's been all good since.

I think that 3 per day is good! but actually even 3 for me is not enough!!!! :) If I could, I wd do 10 a day !! :)

Depends how you feel and how crazy u are! :) but we are all crazy there!
Mélanie

Check out my new website!!! :) www.greentimes.com.au or the page on FB Green Times !!!

2-3 a day depending on how you feel. First day will almost certainly be 2 jumps, tops.

I guess it depends on what tempo you are used to learning physical skills. My freind and i did 8 AFF jumps in one day, but you need to be seriously concerned about a mental overload as well as physical exhustion. We had to keep eating and drinking and ask a lot of questions to keep up with that tempo. On the other side of the coin each jump was significantly better then the last as there was virtually no loss of muscle memory between jumps.

As said above, depends entirely on how in shape you are and how you deal with data input from a "fire hose".
Downsizing is not the way to prove your manhood.

I'm still pretty new at this, with just 18 jumps under my belt (two of which i did yesterday) and I'd say do as many as you can! Through AFF I usually did one jump a day, except for levels 5 & 6, and then 7 & 8. That was only because I couldnt afford to do more. Since then, I have done 3 jumps in one day and ever since, i've been a lot more comfortable in freefall. I think that when you jump like that, you learn and retain a lot more. Then again, sometimes I do one jump and I just feel like thats all i should do for the day. (not usually though, lol)

thanks for the input. i ended up doing one jump, last load, on friday after my aff ground school. then levels 2 and 3 on saturday, the level four today which is sunday. it feels amazing to be in the sky, dont really want to come down.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

As a student you can absolutely do too many jumps in a day. As a student gets fatigued during the day they learn and retain less resulting in more repeated jumps and frustration.

As has been said by other posters the max number of jumps for each student per day is dependent on many variables. What level jumps, good night's sleep, eating/hydrating well during the day, etc, etc.