oracle

Just booked AFF1, Question about beer.

My friend and I have just booked our AFF1 class for next weekend at Perris and we're gonna bring beer for after so we can hang out and meet people and whatnot. But one thing that I haven't found when reading all through these forums is; when does the beer drinking begin? Perris is a big & busy DZ and I thought I saw that they have night jumps, so when do people start drinking beer? They also have their own bar/restaurant there so I guess it's still ok to bring your own beer?

most larger dropzones (from my limited experience, mind you) will have some kind of indicator or Beer Light. The other thing that I have seen done is basically a beer line, so you can drink but not around anyone actively jumping. The best thing to do (and this goes for most things) is ask your instructor - they will surely know what the policies are and will most likely help get you introduced to some of the other jumpers.

Congrats on going for AFF, it's an awesome ride :-)
Thomas Crowe, NRP
Nationally Registered Paramedic
Red Hat Linux Geek

I just noticed your username 'oracle' - any special significance there? I'm finishing up a 10g RAC implementation with Grid Control and Oracle Secure Backup. you'd be surprised at the number of IT people in skydiving.
Thomas Crowe, NRP
Nationally Registered Paramedic
Red Hat Linux Geek

Oh naw. Nothing to do with Oracle systems. I am linux all day everyday at work and at home though.

Also, I'd like to take my dslr down there, will I be able to take pics during training? Obvously not in the middle of important things but I'd like to have good pics of us throughout the day without having to pay for the camera/video guy.

Hey,
Congrats on booking your first AFF1, i've only done two tandem jumps and i'm planning on scheduling mine here soon as well. I'm currently deployed in the Navy in San Diego and I can't wait to get back so I can schedule it!
Some of the greatest accomplishments were done by people too stupid to know they were impossible.

My friend and I have just booked our AFF1 class for next weekend at Perris and we're gonna bring beer for after so we can hang out and meet people and whatnot.

you'll fit right in! :D

Perris has been super hot the last few weekends in the afternoon. You might want to bring some water as well to see you through the day. :)
Have fun!

What Thomas said is generally true. On my previous trips to Perris, consumption of alcohol is limited to the fenced off pool area and the bar while jump operations are continuing. Once the last load of the day has gone up, this is relaxed and you're free to wander around more with your beer. There's often an announcement over the PA once this happens.

Night jumps don't happen every day. They're more of a novelty thing and usually done close to the day of a full moon. If there's night jumps going on, you will probably be restricted to the pool and bar area until these are done. There will be plenty of announcements over the PA if this is going on, though and you can always check with your instructors or manifest as well.

Bringing your own beer is fine. They may not appreciate you taking a case of beer into the bar, but you should be fine by the pool. There have been many cases of beer brought to the dropzone in the past and there will be plenty of people around to appreciate your free beer.

at perris after the sunset load its cool to break out the beer, only doing one jump, you should have time for aff 1 and 2. I will be there sunday if your there stop by and say hello we will be at the packing area by the pool JIM Have fun be safe