NWFlyer

Who Will Get USPA D-30000?

I looked on the USPA Membership Database, and found Krisanne at D29960, and the last number assigned as of right now being D29962.

The A number is now up to A55,753, so over 36,000 A licenses have been issued since I got mine (A19518) circa 1994. Where did they all go?

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

hehe, i get comments about my "low" D number when i sign logbooks, etc.

D-18644

it's not THAT low, but anything under 20000 now seems to be more rare than not.

I'm 34, but i've been jumping for 15 years...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

License #'s are fun but not accurate as to when someone became a skydiver. I have friend who went over 1,000 jumps without any license until she decided she wanted to compete at Nationals. So there were people with 200 jumps, in the sport upwards of ten years less than she was at the time, and they have lower D license #'s. Now, USPA membership #'s are a whole other matter. We all get them as soon as we join and that tells the story.
Kim
D-13439
USPA 68753

just sent in for mine tuesday....havent gotten anything yet...how can i find out what number i am?

My card came in less than a week (I did fax my application in - it might take longer if you mailed it). You should know soon. You could ask a group member to look you up but if it hasn't been processed yet you won't be in the system.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

it got faxed in on tuesday....i just called USPA and thy said it hasnt ben processed yet!

Quit bugging them and maybe they'll have time to get to it. :P;)

I should add that less than a week is pretty fast for USPA - I was surprised - I expected 2-3 weeks.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi Kris,

Since you asked:

1. I was and am opposed to G. H. W. Bush getting #20000. He did not earn it.

2. All numbers should merely go to whomever comes up at that time.

Just my thoughts,

JerryBaumchen (a 4-digit D )

Agree 101%. Specially bout Bush. Pretty cool that he jumps, but D anything? Sheesh. Might as well give him an ATP and 747 type rating too.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I just had my 20th anniversary in the sport. You've been jumping 18. There are 9,847 membership #'s between us, or roughly 5,000 new members a year. Jerry started 40 years ago. There are 68,396 numbers between us, or roughly 3,420 new members a year in the twenty years between Jerry & me.

I've always considered membership numbers the better indicator of time in the sport. Licenses are limiting in describing anything beyond the fact that we have met certain minimums. A well funded first year in the sport will get you a D license but you can opt out of getting any license at all. A former student of mine from about 15 years ago still only has an A license because he can't swim and is afraid of the water so he never completed his water training for a B license, has never done a night jump and will never compete at Nationals but can skydive circles around a lot of us. So what's his A license say about him? That he's a novice? Hardly. So when it comes to bragging rights and some young tyro comes along and shows off his D license, that D can be trumped by the A license holder's USPA membership #.

Also, my D license makes the absurd claim that I am a "Master". Yeah? Says who? I got it with 200 jumps which, at the time, I considered a huge accomplishment - which in its way, it is - but now with nearly 4,000 jumps those first 200 seem so much like baby's first steps compared with a marathoner's.

My .02 cents re: Bush's #. No way should he have been given that. It was owed to a real skydiver who accomplished the tasks required to deserve it. It's a slap in the face to just hand it out to an octogenarian ex-pres merely because he was an ex-pres. A tandem and, what, one AFF? Remember when the Beatles got their OMBs or whatever it was and other recipients of the OMB gave theirs back as protest? Too bad their isn't some equal form of protest for us, but I sure as hell hope any license USPA bestows on anyone is given because it was well deserved. What's Bush's USPA membership #? Did he get one? Did he even join and pay up? Or was he given a pass on that too? And why didn't USPA ask members about this first? Did they assume we'd just agree? Maybe the majority of us would, who knows? But from what I've heard and read it doesn't seem likely.

to answer your request

USPA number according to my current card is 9452

# 1 SL sept 16th '72
First freefall early october '72
:|

i earned A License # 3914 around '74. B| That could be when i finally joined USPA...( it wasn't required at dz's then, like it is now,,,) The motivation was so that i could enter the College nationals, which were held in DeLand, november of '74. ( first time ever, to FLA) I had all the jump numbers and acccuracy shots, and other requirements for the rest of the licenses, and even passed all the written tests,,, but I was Lacking,,,,"60 second delays"..
Back then you needed some of those maybe 8 or ten, i forget.. and where i was jumping, we NEVER went above 10,500. hahaha. I had night jumps and water jumps etc etc and about 400 jumps, by '75...at the time when a D Lic only needed 200 jumps..:S;)
( hit a grand in the fall of 1979 ) B|;)
BUT it wasn't until the mid eighties that i finally put in for the D.
Took the test again, passed it, got signed off and received D 12122... always felt that i screwed up, by not getting a 4 digit D #.... but "que sera sera "
earned the B and c as well, at the same time as the D but i don't know those number by heart.

And while Mike Mullins does point out the 'positive press' which the sport received via G H W Bush.. the awarding of a significant D Lic Number to him,, for having basically "joined the elite of the Golden Knights" in a few exits, descents and landings,,, does NOt elevate him to a status which commands such an important license #...
i'm kinda old school and am more impressed with things that are earned, rather than bestowed...
(ps never understood college " honorary degrees" either.. what a slap in the face to all the OTHER grads, who just knocked themselves out, and bled their parents piggy banks DRY... to complete an education,,
And then to have to sit there and watch someone to stroll in and be "ordained like that" )... what a system...!!! but That's a complete other thread!!!!!

back to membership #'s.....

:)
jimmytavino
rochester

hehe, i get comments about my "low" D number when i sign logbooks, etc.

D-18644

it's not THAT low, but anything under 20000 now seems to be more rare than not.

I'm 34, but i've been jumping for 15 years...

D 9944
USPA 23008
It's my 29th year as a USPA member :o

And NO, I'm not telling you how old I am.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My member number 221605 from March 2008
I only have a C number

I don't know my DZO'z member number but his license is

Buddy Blue - D# 597

And according to him the only reason it was that high is because it had to travel further in the mail than other people's paperwork did being on the west coast at the time.

Edit to add: And I did 2 jumps with him yesterday.