mellow

open face vs. full face headgear

Skip the rest, buy the best. OXYGN A3

I agree! ....... once you're finished with AFF....

Because something magical will suddenly happen between that last AFF jump and that first solo jump, right?

Being off AFF doesn't suddenly make things different.

correct, however....

AFF = Instructors tell you what you can do

Solo = you can wear what you'd like

make more sense now?

Someone else does not have to see your face.

True.

And, there are some good "discussions" on this in the Instructors forum.

On the other side of the issue, my fear for students fresh off AFF is that they are now self-supervising and grab a new helmet with comfort and coolness in mind...not safety. Can you see your handles, etc. They don't think of this because they don't have the body of experience that an instructor has.

Being cleared to self-supervise is not the same as being cleared to make good decisions without input from experienced instructors. Some young jumpers see that first solo as an arrival at a point where they no longer have to be taught. I just happen to see it differently.

That, is why a statement like "...once you're finished with AFF..." doesn't make sense unless you qualify it with your statement above about an instructor needing to see your face.

I think we agree at a basic level.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

well, so far i haven't read anything on any post that would suggest i'm not going to like a full face.

To each their own ... I prefer no helmet or an open face helmet. The feeling is freedom!
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

well, so far i haven't read anything on any post that would suggest i'm not going to like a full face.

To each their own ... I prefer no helmet or an open face helmet. The feeling is freedom!

+1
If you dont like wind, maybe skydiving aint for you?
Live hard, Live fast, Die broke.
D.S. 118118

+1
If you dont like wind, maybe skydiving aint for you?

I would rethink such a blanket statement. So you're saying maybe skydiving ain't for Airspeed since they all wear full face helmets;)

If your using full face to protect yourself from getting smacked in the face then fine. I am going into FS now and will soon be buying a full face for this very reason. But I will miss the wind a noise of a open faced and will wear my Gath whenever I can, like tracking or other fun jumps. Just my opinion :)

Live hard, Live fast, Die broke.
D.S. 118118

i'm so new that i haven't even used a helmet yet! i've only done 2 tandems- the last one was instructional though, all the aff level 1 stuff.... but the wind and cold during freefall is not very comfortable for me, which is why i'm already thinking about helmets-

Our passengers are given soft helmets, Frappe hats, specifically. When I jump without a helmet, the wind noise in my ears is painfully loud, not pleasant.

I wear full face for RW jumps, open face hard helmet for tandem and aff work. Only downside to full face on RW jumps is that kiss passes are not as much fun.:P

skydiving is about the wind in your face.. ;)

You can get that in a hurricane.

I hated the wind in my face, the noise, and the goggles. I got a full face helmet as soon as I was off student status.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I would wait to buy one until you are done with AFF.

yea. there is no way i'll have it before aff, which is only a few days away. i'm just doing some future planning right now, and thinking ahead. i do think a helmet will be the first piece of gear that i buy, and since the ones i'm considering aren't cheap, it will be a while. besides, i need to make a good number of jumps beforehand to get a better feel for what i think will be best.

there is a much more important piece of gear that should be first in my opinion an altimeter!!!! different dz in your area might have rentals for helmets that would allow you to try many different ones. Sq 1 should have rentals as Sq 2 in eloy does. my prefrence was a mamba easiest to open in my opinion but still very secure in free fall.
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

it will be a while. besides, i need to make a good number of jumps beforehand to get a better feel for what i think will be best.

i'm still not sure what kind of helmet i want, i need to make alot more jumps to figure that out before i invest in something.

there is a much more important piece of gear that should be first in my opinion an altimeter!!!!

the first things i bought were an altimeter and goggles. i'm still using the student helmet i used for aff.

Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

it will be a while. besides, i need to make a good number of jumps beforehand to get a better feel for what i think will be best.

i'm still not sure what kind of helmet i want, i need to make alot more jumps to figure that out before i invest in something.

there is a much more important piece of gear that should be first in my opinion an altimeter!!!!

the first things i bought were an altimeter and goggles. i'm still using the student helmet i used for aff.

if you are going for a open face helmet you might as well get the Protec full cut which is actually rated for impact, or Square 1's Brand X Skydiving Helmet ($28 shipped on ebay). It should hold you over till you know more on which helmet all the cool kids get ;) ...

PS: I rather spend my cash on lift tickets :D ...

cheers
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

if you are going for a open face helmet you might as well get the Protec full cut which is actually rated for impact, or Square 1's Brand X Skydiving Helmet ($28 shipped on ebay). It should hold you over till you know more on which helmet all the cool kids get ...

PS: I rather spend my cash on lift tickets ...

cheers

I've put 150+ jumps on one of those $28 Brand X helmets. Saved the money for jumps, and my noggin is no worse for wear. Now, I know exactly what I want in a helmet.... which I think it important before you spend $300 on one.

Besides, if looking cool is important, I got more notice for wearing that helmet because it's so different from what everyone else is wearing. Remember, it's allllll for the ladies B|:P
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

I've put 150+ jumps on one of those $28 Brand X helmets. Saved the money for jumps, and my noggin is no worse for wear. Now, I know exactly what I want in a helmet.... which I think it important before you spend $300 on one.

Besides, if looking cool is important, I got more notice for wearing that helmet because it's so different from what everyone else is wearing. Remember, it's allllll for the ladies B|:P

I just ordered me one of those too, no more stinky sweaty rental for me :D
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

this is exactly what i'm thinking the full face will accomplish for me.

As you can see there are different schools of thought. I personally enjoy and open face helmet because I love the rush of wind in my face others like the quietness of fullface.
The one thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the fact that skydiving helmets are not really good for much. Yeah, they can help if you catch a foot in the face and for those minor impacts they work fine but you pay alot of money for very little real protection. Next time you are at the DZ have a look at these helmets and you will see a lack of impact/crush foam. This is what protects your brain when you take a real hit. Skydiving helmets tend to provide a false sense of security because very few people realize these "helmets" are built to no crash standard whatsoever. Hit the ground hard and almost all the energy will be transferred to your head via the helmet shell.
For less money than most skydiving helmets you can get real protection and if need be still look cool at the DZ. My open face is similar to this... http://www.giro.com/en-us/products/snow-helmets/streif/ It is a ski helmet that is very comfortable and I use it for skydiving, skiing and BASE. If you wore it all day it would be warm but for 2 or 3 minutes at a time you will never notice. If you are looking for a fullface look to the European manufacturers. Helmets designed for airsports over there must meet CE EN 966 standards so you know you are at least getting some REAL protection. Here is a sweet fullface.... http://willswing.com/prod2.asp?theClass=helmet&theModel=NoLimit and more lids here... http://www.flyaboveall.com/wwcharly.htm and one more http://www.apcoaviation.com/products/5/5accessories.html.
Helmets should protect our brains and not just from a bump that may have resulted in a fat lip.
Welcome to the sky! Have fun and be safe..........B|
SabreDave

this is exactly what i'm thinking the full face will accomplish for me.

As you can see there are different schools of thought. I personally enjoy and open face helmet because I love the rush of wind in my face others like the quietness of fullface.
The one thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the fact that skydiving helmets are not really good for much. Yeah, they can help if you catch a foot in the face and for those minor impacts they work fine but you pay alot of money for very little real protection. Next time you are at the DZ have a look at these helmets and you will see a lack of impact/crush foam. This is what protects your brain when you take a real hit. Skydiving helmets tend to provide a false sense of security because very few people realize these "helmets" are built to no crash standard whatsoever. Hit the ground hard and almost all the energy will be transferred to your head via the helmet shell.
For less money than most skydiving helmets you can get real protection and if need be still look cool at the DZ. My open face is similar to this... http://www.giro.com/en-us/products/snow-helmets/streif/ It is a ski helmet that is very comfortable and I use it for skydiving, skiing and BASE. If you wore it all day it would be warm but for 2 or 3 minutes at a time you will never notice. If you are looking for a fullface look to the European manufacturers. Helmets designed for airsports over there must meet CE EN 966 standards so you know you are at least getting some REAL protection. Here is a sweet fullface.... http://willswing.com/prod2.asp?theClass=helmet&theModel=NoLimit and more lids here... http://www.flyaboveall.com/wwcharly.htm and one more http://www.apcoaviation.com/products/5/5accessories.html.
Helmets should protect our brains and not just from a bump that may have resulted in a fat lip.
Welcome to the sky! Have fun and be safe..........B|

I am digging the Charly Air Control and Charly Insider
- Neil

now that i've actually made a few jumps, my outlook has completely changed. i started this thread after having done 2 tandems in which both times the wind really battered my sinuses and ears. it was after those experiences i thought i wanted more protection from the wind in my face.

now, after 14 jumps, things have changed. first of all, my body is in a slightly different position than it was for the tandems, and the wind doesn't bother my sinuses at all anymore. and, the helmet i wore for aff kept the wind out of my ears. so the reasons i was looking for a full face don't really exist anymore.

however, still exploring that option, i have tried a few different helmets on over the past few weeks. to my surprise, i absolutely hated the chlostrophobic feeling of a full face! i cannot imagine wearning one now! with so little experience though, i am not going to make any major purchases on a helmet right now. i could very well change my mind again.

i like the protec helmet i've been using as a student, and have been content to just keep using that one. i have to say, though, that when i read a previous poster comment on how sweaty and stinky those student helmets were, i cringed. i flashed back to an image i saw of a nervous student sweating profusely and actually dripping sweat from his face with one of those helmets on. that was it for me. i ordered a brand x from square 1! for $32 it will be just fine for a while, and it will be clean!
Jennifer

don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. and then go do that, because what the world needs is people that come alive.

i have to say, though, that when i read a previous poster comment on how sweaty and stinky those student helmets were, i cringed. i flashed back to an image i saw of a nervous student sweating profusely and actually dripping sweat from his face with one of those helmets on. that was it for me. i ordered a brand x from square 1! for $32 it will be just fine for a while, and it will be clean!

btw I hope you realize that even you contribute to making the rental helmet even more sweatier and stinkier ... LOL
- Neil