npgraphicdesign

Chest-mounted...iPhone??

I just had a craaazy idea. The new iPhones have a pretty nice built-in video camera. Since I don't have a video camera, and don't plan on jumping with one for a while, I thought...what if I mount my iPhone on my chest strap? Just like the AFFIs attach your radio to your chest strap...a case w/ a clip + some rubber bands.

Think it will work?;)

Oh and how high are my chances of losing the iPhone? That would be a very expensive jump! :ph34r: The radios stay in place...I don't see why an iPhone wouldn't. :P

Firstly, why would you choose to jump with another type of video camera, when you said you weren't ready to jump with one yet?

Secondly, what are you going to video?

Thirdly, just because you haven't seen a radio come off an AFF student or get damaged in your short time in the sport, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Firstly, why would you choose to jump with another type of video camera, when you said you weren't ready to jump with one yet?

Thirdly, just because you haven't seen a radio come off an AFF student or get damaged in your short time in the sport, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

First, chill man ;)
Second, I mean i'm not ready to jump with a full camera setup...having that on your helmet vs an iPhone on your chest strap is a biiiiit different. :ph34r:
Third, I know I've been in this sport for a short time and don't have much experience or haven't 'seen it all'...but thank you for the breaking news flash :P

I mean i'm not ready to jump with a full camera setup...having that on your helmet vs an iPhone on your chest strap is a biiiiit different. :ph34r:Sly[/sly]

No it's not. Read the camera forum and the FAQ.

If you want video, pay a video flyer to film you. If you want to jump video yourself get at LEAST 200 jumps under your belt, preferably double that, before you jump with any kind of camera. But most newbies (and a lot of not-so-newbies) prefer nice footage of themselves rather than the solo jumping (often bad) footage of a lot of sky which is what you'd get jumping a camera solo. So get an up jumper with camera to jump with you, ask for the raw footage if you like to edit yourself. And go jump your ass off if you want to eventually fly video yourself ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Leave your iPhone on the ground. Focus your attention on all of things going on around you both in the plane, and of course, during the jump itself.

Make another 50 jumps, and then if you want to lose your iPhone trying to shoot some shitty 'chest-eye' view video, then go for it.

Any video or camera at this point in your career is a distraction so just don't do it.

I can give you a bit of advice that will without a doubt hold true. If you stay in the sport and continue jumping, you will have more than enough pictures of yourself in the sky and plenty of video as well. Just be patient and you will be on jumps where there is video and if you pay for a pack job or two, your video guy might share them.

Slow down and enjoy the sport knowing that all the good stuff will come in time.

Second, I mean i'm not ready to jump with a full camera setup...having that on your helmet vs an iPhone on your chest strap is a biiiiit different.

I think you're falling blunder to one of the misunderstandings low jumpers (myself included) have about flying a camera. You think that having a camera on your helmet means you could hurt yourself on opening, through snags or riser slap or just having that extra weight on your helmet.

These are valid reasons that a low jumper shouldn't jump with a camera, and they serve as a very effective deterrent ("You might break your neck on opening").

However, the better reason is a lot harder to grasp. A camera, even an iphone on your chest, distracts you. It gives you one more thing to think about when you really need all your attention on keeping you safe. The thought, "This might make awesome video" may just fleet through your mind, just long enough to make you do something stupid.

Besides, you really want video of yourself, not other people, so why not buy a slightly more experienced jumper a ticket to record you while you freefall and practice basic skills. You can buy a lot of jump tickets for others for the price of replacing your iPhone.

I'm also a low jumper who would love to have a camera, but at this point, I've decided that the experts are probably right and that I should wait awhile. You probably should too.

Second, I mean i'm not ready to jump with a full camera setup...having that on your helmet vs an iPhone on your chest strap is a biiiiit different. :ph34r:

He's right. You're not ready to jump with a camera. It has nothing to do with size, weight, nor placement. It has nothing to do with whether it's a professional camera nor one from a crackerjack box. It's a mental distraction that only becomes greater after your first jump with it. It's not only dangerous for yourself, but can cause you to become a danger to others. Please read the Camera forum FAQ. There are a couple real-life stories there that might help you understand better why experienced jumpers are not encouraging you to do this.
Cameras of *any* kind can create hazards that are not physical/snag related.
Cameras often make you more dangerous to others than to yourself when you're not ready to be jumping with one.

He's right. You're not ready to jump with a camera. It has nothing to do with size, weight, nor placement. It has nothing to do with whether it's a professional camera nor one from a crackerjack box. It's a mental distraction that only becomes greater after your first jump with it. It's not only dangerous for yourself, but can cause you to become a danger to others. Please read the Camera forum FAQ. There are a couple real-life stories there that might help you understand better why experienced jumpers are not encouraging you to do this.
Cameras of *any* kind can create hazards that are not physical/snag related.
Cameras often make you more dangerous to others than to yourself when you're not ready to be jumping with one.

Thank you DSE...I appreciate the response as much as I do the other serious ones... :)

I appreciate the other sarcastic wise-ass responses in this thread

Your welcome.

Really though, that advice applies to any sort of 'toy' in freefall. There's nothing specific about cameras that makes them more distracting in freefall that other items, it's just that cameras are the thing most people want to take into freefall.

If you had asked about, let's say, a chest mounted GPS unit, the answer would have been largely the same, and for the same reasons.

I find my audible altimeter really distracting .... just trying to turn another point or squeeze a few more Metres out of my wing suit and 'Bing' that damned anoying sound in my helmet... it's just not fair - damn those toys:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

If you don't think that my response was serious, then you are sorely mistaken. Or screw it, go do what you want, if you make it to 1000 jumps you'll feel pretty stupid about some of your decisions and attitudes. I know I did.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I appreciate the other sarcastic wise-ass responses in this thread

Your welcome.

Really though, that advice applies to any sort of 'toy' in freefall. There's nothing specific about cameras that makes them more distracting in freefall that other items, it's just that cameras are the thing most people want to take into freefall.

If you had asked about, let's say, a chest mounted GPS unit, the answer would have been largely the same, and for the same reasons.

:P After my B category jump where I landed about a mile away, I was given multiple suggestions: a chest mounted GPS so i can find my way back, a map of our DZ on the underside of my canopy, etc..I still like the GPS idea. ;)

First, chill man ;)
Third, I know I've been in this sport for a short time and don't have much experience or haven't 'seen it all'...but thank you for the breaking news flash :P

They recommend 200 jumps for any camera setup, not just a full helmet mounted one. There is more snags to jumping camera than snags.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

First, chill man ;)

They recommend 200 jumps for any camera setup, not just a full helmet mounted one. There is more snags to jumping camera than snags.

Yea I've been reading the SIM and some of the discussions in the Camera forums. I think i'll wait...;)

Btw, I'm still a guy. Sorry to disappoint ya :P

well your a little more experienced than me, but i feel even with your 49 jumps having a camera even tho its an iphone would be one more distraction that you dont need. concentrate on the jump and improving your skills and wait until you get enough jumps under your belt and a camera that can handle freefall speeds.
Mike

AggieDave's advice (that you elicited), was dead on.

You came to this forum seeking an opinion, and you received quite a few from jumpers that are very experienced in that category. Don't get all bent out of shape because it's not the answer you were looking for........

Well, I beat you to it, sort of. I just traded up to the new 3GS after seeing some really nice video from it and went jumping that day.

I actually thought about chest mounting but I have always thought the real reason not to wear a camera was the distraction and not as much the weight etc. Even though I think everyone is different and I have a pretty good idea of myself and distractions and my "expertise" on them, I am also not an expert on skydiving. It would probably take knowledge in both to be safest.

What I did do was carry it in my leg pocket and planned to open early. Two of us exited together and had a nice flight as short as it was and I broke off at 6000. He tracked away and I was open at 4800. After checking everything out and the sky all around me, I took a short video of myself and the ground and other chutes below. It was all wrapped up by about 3000 and I watched the plane land. Even the 4 tandems all beat me to the ground by a long shot. (big ass ole canopy just keeps me up there)

I'd love to do video but I have a long way to get there. However, I don't subscribe to a specific number of jumps as any magical number to be ready. Everyone is different and will be ready for different things in their own time. As few jumps as I get I may never be ready. Someone that gets 100 in a couple of months will likely be better than I will ever be.

The video quality is really quite good for a phone and if I were crazy I could have emailed it while still in the air. ( not crazy enough though :)

PS: I had a cutaway lanyard attached and wrapped it around my wrist for the filming.

However, I don't subscribe to a specific number of jumps as any magical number to be ready. Everyone is different and will be ready for different things in their own time.

It's not always about how/when the person feels they are ready. The DZO/ST&A have the final say. You could have 500 jumps, and they could tell you you are not aloud to fly wingsuit/camera/canopy.

However, I don't subscribe to a specific number of jumps as any magical number to be ready. Everyone is different and will be ready for different things in their own time.

It's not always about how/when the person feels they are ready. The DZO/ST&A have the final say. You could have 500 jumps, and they could tell you you are not aloud to fly wingsuit/camera/canopy.

But, maybe if you whisper.;)

Don't Pull Low... Unless You ARE!!!
The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse than this." The optimist says, "Sure, it can."
Be fun, have safe.

I kinda got the impression you were joking... was I wrong? because I think the iPhone would create relatively poor video regardless of your skill flying camera or otherwise...

I was half-joking...yes. :P

Too bad everyone else took it so seriously. It was just a question, and yes...I was considering it, but wasn't 100% set on it and was looking for some good input here, which I got from a few.

And the 3Gs actually shoots pretty decent video...at least on the ground :ph34r: