Tolgak

Healing Time for Sprain

Just about 10 weeks ago, I had a hard landing after a skydive that "mildly" sprained my ankle. It was not broken. While I was walking a week later and skydiving within 5 weeks, I still cannot walk while putting pressure on my big toe. I have to walk on the outside of my left foot as it hurts too much to use the other side. I miss my ability to run and sprint and I fear it may take much longer until I can comfortably use my entire foot to move.

For those of you that have had sprains in the ankle region, how long until it was back to normal?
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

You may want to try "Hydrotherapy" ... get in the deep end of a pool with a float belt (used in water aerobics) and do deep water kicking or water jogging

Here are a couple of links thaat may help
http://teamtimex.timexblogs.com/2009/02/18/water-running-aka-aqua-jogging-aka-losing-your-mind-in-the-pool/
http://running.about.com/od/gear/ht/howwaterjog.htm

Simply do a normal "flutter kick" while you are upright in the water.

This will give you some strength training and help flexibility without any weight bearing on the joint - muscles - tendons.

You also get the added benefit of some “aerobic exercise” while you can’t run, if you can’t get your heart rate up then simply kick harder or skip the float belt

Check w/ your Dr ... but I have found this invaluable tool recovering from injuries when I was still racing (Triathlon) and through several rehabs from Skydiving mishaps that included major orthopedic surgery B|

99% of the people on this earth are sheep ... dare to be different

Why would you say "maybe skydiving isn't for you"?
Maybe skydiving isn't for anyone who ever had an injury from the sport. You never had an injury in your career?

no, i didnt have "several mishaps that included orthopedic surgery" at 24 jumps; not even at 243.. actually, none so far.. doesnt mean i'll never have one.. but hey, YMMV.. :o
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I still cannot walk while putting pressure on my big toe. I have to walk on the outside of my left foot as it hurts too much to use the other side.

Just a question, where does it hurt when you do walk normally? Because you say you can't put pressure on your big toe, but you have a sprained ankle.... Does it hurt in your toe? or does it hurt on the sides of your foot? or somewhere else?

can you move your foot from left to right while keeping it 90 degrees to your leg? (stand on the floor, lift your foot a little and "wiggle" gently)

Do you know what kind of trauma you sustained? (inversion, eversion?)

If you damaged some ligaments, it can take up to six weeks to heal with treatment, (like sportstape) and longer if you don't treat it.
Also, after that it will still be a little weak spot, and you can feel a little pain whenever you misstep somhow. (in a hole or something)

I'd recommend wearing shoes that support your feet and ankles, like jogging shoes, or even better, lightweigt walking shoes.

also when you go jumping, have someone, or if you're able to do it yourself, put tape on your ankle / foot, so you can't twist it the wrong way. (ofcourse you'll first need someone to show to you how)

Anyway, this is how we treat sprained ankles at my work. ofcourse it is better to keep from jumping for six weeks at the least. But you did a good job taking 5 weeks! (I just taped myself once, and kept jumping because of teamtraining.... not a very good example here... but since I kept on taping for six weeks and wearing the right shoes it "only" took me 8 weeks to say, hey, it's over... but kept on jumping though....)
Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

I still cannot walk while putting pressure on my big toe. I have to walk on the outside of my left foot as it hurts too much to use the other side.

Just a question, where does it hurt when you do walk normally? Because you say you can't put pressure on your big toe, but you have a sprained ankle.... Does it hurt in your toe? or does it hurt on the sides of your foot? or somewhere else?

It hurts right under and slightly posterior to the inner side of the ankle bone (talus?). That is also where the bruising occurred. If I use a stride which requires the inner part of that foot, I get pain there.

can you move your foot from left to right while keeping it 90 degrees to your leg? (stand on the floor, lift your foot a little and "wiggle" gently)

It has full range of motion with no pain. It's only when bearing weight on that part of the foot do I feel anything.

Do you know what kind of trauma you sustained? (inversion, eversion?)

Inversion I think

If you damaged some ligaments, it can take up to six weeks to heal with treatment, (like sportstape) and longer if you don't treat it.

I'd recommend wearing shoes that support your feet and ankles, like jogging shoes, or even better, lightweigt walking shoes.

I do that.

Also, after that it will still be a little weak spot, and you can feel a little pain whenever you misstep somhow. (in a hole or something)

Aside from the issue you state: Is it possible to get back to regular use and a proper stride?

also when you go jumping, have someone, or if you're able to do it yourself, put tape on your ankle / foot, so you can't twist it the wrong way. (ofcourse you'll first need someone to show to you how)

I know how to do so and I've done it for about 6 weeks after my injury. I've since fixed my landing flare so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, this is how we treat sprained ankles at my work. ofcourse it is better to keep from jumping for six weeks at the least. But you did a good job taking 5 weeks! (I just taped myself once, and kept jumping because of teamtraining.... not a very good example here... but since I kept on taping for six weeks and wearing the right shoes it "only" took me 8 weeks to say, hey, it's over... but kept on jumping though....)

Thanks

Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

Can you describe the actual incident in a bit more detail than just "hard landing' ?
How did you hit the ground, what part hit first, how did the rest of your body absorb the momentum (roll, controlled or not?)

If it was only sprained, after this time it should be better in my opinion. You should be able to walk normally.

If I understand your problem correctly, I think you should reconsider going back to your dr.

As I am no dr, but only an ER nurse, I can advice you and say what I think, but it is difficult ofcourse from overseas and without x-rays :-)

Anyway, it might me possible that you do have a fracture, in your talus.
This is the bone that connects your leg to your foot, and also connects with your heelbone (calcaneus)
Since you do have full range of motion, I don't think it's the ligaments (they've healed)

Did you have swelling, and is it still tender as well? (when you push on the spot where the bruising was)

A fracture of the talus is often missed on x-rays, especially if it is a small (hairline) fracture.
A CT-scan will show more.

But, once again, I'm no doctor, and I don't want to scare you, and yes, this is the internet, so if you want real good advice, go see your dr. (as would you see your instructor, for advice on jumps, and not some newbie like me)

Let me know what you do, and what the outcome is!
Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

Before I go more in to this, I have completed EMT training and have done clinicals with various agencies and at an ER. I can perform BLS and am fairly good at catching signs and symptoms of many of the ailments and injuries one would cover in an EMT class. I am making my determinations based on that knowledge. Take what I say with a figurative grain of salt.

Can you describe the actual incident in a bit more detail than just "hard landing' ?
How did you hit the ground, what part hit first, how did the rest of your body absorb the momentum (roll, controlled or not?)

Left foot hit first, landed in a squat. No roll. It was a late flare and I came it at about a 30 degree angle from the ground.

If it was only sprained, after this time it should be better in my opinion. You should be able to walk normally.

It doesn't hurt to walk with the current stride. I work at a restaurant and can even speed walk and plant my foot to turn sharply if I need to.

If I understand your problem correctly, I think you should reconsider going back to your dr.

As I am no dr, but only an ER nurse, I can advice you and say what I think, but it is difficult ofcourse from overseas and without x-rays :-)

Anyway, it might me possible that you do have a fracture, in your talus.
This is the bone that connects your leg to your foot, and also connects with your heelbone (calcaneus)
Since you do have full range of motion, I don't think it's the ligaments (they've healed).

I know the symptoms of a fracture and I can tell you that I never once had a symptom that doesn't also exist with sprains. There was no point tenderness on the talus, there is no pain whatsoever associated with it.

If I am to plant my foot on the ground and bear no weight on it and push my big toe down, I get pain. The pain is below the talus.

Did you have swelling, and is it still tender as well? (when you push on the spot where the bruising was)

Tenderness and swelling have long since subsided.

A fracture of the talus is often missed on x-rays, especially if it is a small (hairline) fracture.
A CT-scan will show more.

Can't afford one and my insurance wont cover it.

But, once again, I'm no doctor, and I don't want to scare you, and yes, this is the internet, so if you want real good advice, go see your dr. (as would you see your instructor, for advice on jumps, and not some newbie like me)

Let me know what you do, and what the outcome is!

I'm planning on seeing a doctor about it again, which is why I took interest in my injury again. Updates will come.

For those of you that have had sprains in the ankle region, how long until it was back to normal?

What did your doctor say? Ask him/her how much healing time you need to be able to jog and/or jump off a chair onto your ankle. That should give a rough approximation of how much healing time you need to be able to land a canopy (assuming it's appropriately sized for your weight and experience level, of course).

Or, you could just get medical advice on the internet.:S
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What did your doctor say? Ask him/her how much healing time you need to be able to jog and/or jump off a chair onto your ankle. That should give a rough approximation of how much healing time you need to be able to land a canopy (assuming it's appropriately sized for your weight and experience level, of course).

The doctors told me it should have healed by now. I have been planning to see one again.

Personal experience matters a lot to me, which is why I asked about healing time on the internet. Considering the nature of what we do, I'd expect ankle sprains to be a common problem that people have experience with.

The amount to which something heals is a subjective value, and I suspect that in medical opinions, the value they tell you is when something is barely usable again, not when the pain subsides.

I didn't get the sense he was looking to go as soon as possible. (IOW, the usual question) The pain is still there, so obviously it's not healed yet. He asked for thoughts on how much longer it might be.

I sprained my ankle (moderately) on June 7. I still can't run without limping yet :(. I've been going to physical therapy at least twice a week since the injury. I'm still going. As a matter of fact, I had an appointment today and they said if I can't run without limping, then I'm not clear to run yet. If I were you I would definitely go to the doc get another set of x-rays or a scan. My doc made me get x-rays two weeks after my injury to make sure something new didn't show up. That can happen sometimes. I have a friend who had a fractured wrist and ankle show up weeks after her injury. Sometimes the soft tissue is so swollen that fractures don't show up right away. If you aren't going to PT, you might want to consider it.

Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Just about 10 weeks ago, I had a hard landing after a skydive that "mildly" sprained my ankle. It was not broken. While I was walking a week later and skydiving within 5 weeks, I still cannot walk while putting pressure on my big toe. I have to walk on the outside of my left foot as it hurts too much to use the other side. I miss my ability to run and sprint and I fear it may take much longer until I can comfortably use my entire foot to move.

I had a really bad sprained ankle years ago. Had a removable case for a couple months and was all healed up by 3 months. My ankle was purple, black, blue, and green. haha, it was a really bad sprain.

I did the same thing 4 yrs ago and it's still not right
enuf said

Don't get the wrong idea from this guy's post. This is definitely the exception and not the rule. As long you let it heal, and slowly get back into sports, everything will be ok. I can't even remember which ankle I sprained; just goes to show you.