joaocorreia

Average altitude / price per ft

Hello,

Im a newbie skydiver, 46 jumps so far.

At the DZ where I jump (planes:Grand Caravan and King Air) exits are made at 12000 feet max ! most of times below that, 11.000ft jumps are common. The majority of the loads are tandems. I feel a big diference between 11000 and 14000 !.
Well most of the jumps are tandems ... sometimes its more a TandemZone then DropZone.

Im skydiving for fun, I dont care whats the altitude for championships, I just want to have fun.

Whats the average altitude for a DZ ? Whats the average price per ft ?

Best regards
Joao Correia

I think one thing to take into consideration may be the difference between AGL and MSL. At my DZ here in ohio we have a caravan and get to about 13,5k on nice days but it is really 14,5k cuz the DZ is ~1000 ft above actual sea level. Damn hypoxia.
www.apt3studios.com
www.musicpromotiononline.com
www.internetcafegaming.com
D.S. # 4321

I jump at mile hi and yesterday exited at 13k so was really it was more like 18k. I've always wondered if it feels different to jump at 13k at sea level.

It doesn't feel any different in free fall, but you get noticeably longer free fall times down at sea level and are going a lot slower on landing.

I jump at mile hi and yesterday exited at 13k so was really it was more like 18k. I've always wondered if it feels different to jump at 13k at sea level.

It doesn't feel any different in free fall, but you get noticeably longer free fall times down at sea level and are going a lot slower on landing.

How do you do freefall at sea level? I thought when you are at sea level, well, you were level with the sea? ;)

Hollister has a plan for a million feet for a thousand dollars prepaid, most loads are to 15k out of a PAC, and that works out to 15 bucks, you cant go wrong. I think this is the cheapest in the USA

Unless it's changed recently, Lodi still has $13 in bulk, $15 normal.

It's interesting to think about paying by the million feet, though. And with Hollister's norm of 15k, that's 66.6 jumps for $1000. Some sort of demonic plot?!

Whats the average altitude for a DZ ? Whats the average price per ft ?

What the average is, or what the guy down the street is doing shouldn't matter. This is between you and the DZO.

If they are advertising 13k or 14k ft for 'x' dollars, and you are getting out lower than that, then you should bring this up with the DZO.

If, however, the DZ is selling slots on a 'high altitude' load for 'x' dollars, than you have accept what you're getting, or choose to take your business elsewhere if you're unhappy.

Let's keep in mind that getting out at 11k as opposed to 13k will cut 2 or 3 minutes time off of each load. By the end of the day that's enough time to fit in one more laod before sunset (which makes the DZ more money), or 20 or 25 minutes less flight time on the plane (which saves a bundle of money for the DZ).

The combines value of a Grand Caravan and a King Air is between 1 and 2 million dollars, depending on the condition of the planes. With that type of investment, I'm sure you can see why a DZ would do whatever they can to cut costs.

Additionally, the tandems are the money makers on the DZ. The DZ will cater to their needs above yours, and if 11k is high enough, then that's where the planes are going.

Keep in mind that without the tandems, neither one of those planes would be there. If the DZ still existed without tandems, you'd be jumping from a 182 at 10k. It would take 25 min to get to altitude, and you'd be wedged in there with three of your closest buddies.