atsaubrey

TSA and flights.

Use a discreet carry-on bag and just run it thru the x-ray machine with no comment. It shouldn't be a problem. If you have a weight vest, it will show up as a big blank spot and get their attention. Be prepared for that. There is no FAA rule against parachutes on an airliner, but "explosives" are another thing. Make sure you refer to your Cypress as an electronic device, not an "EXPLOSIVE parachute deploying thingie!" :S

Mostly, be low key about it all. I've never had a problem geting on the plane with mine.

Uh . . . I don't think that's applicable in this instance.

I got a laugh there, too, but it's possible he's taking weight vests for whomever he ends up jumping with.

If I were an anvil, that is one way I would consider making friends at other dropzones... "Hey, want to fly really fast with me? Put this on and let's go!" :)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

When I flew to the WFFC, the xray guy called everyone there over and said "that's what a parachute looks like." No problem at all.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I just flew with a rig from DCA to OAK -- alas, I didn't have a gear bag to put it in (oops) so I carried it bare. No problem whatsoever; the TSA guy checked the picture against the Cypres2 card and was satisfied. He said he "marked the image" to show other screeners what a sport rig looks like. The entire process added maybe 60 seconds to the security screening procedure.

I think, however, that your experience will be very dependent on what airport you fly out of and the experience and comfort level of the screener you get.

Best of luck!

My experience (YMMV)

I was traveling to Rantoul two weeks ago and put my new G3 with Cypres2 installed in a gear bag, and put it right on the x-ray machine at LaGuardia Airport - the TSA guy didn't even bat an eye - not even a secondary screening, and he didn't ask to see my cypres card (I did have it, and a printout of the TSA page on parachutes just in case).

On the way home at Champagne airport, they obviously had seen plenty of rigs come through - no cypres card needed there either.

I carried it on both times. It fit easily in the MD-80 overhead bin, but not in the RJ, so I used the "valet" gate-check service. I didn't want to let it out of my sight for too long.

to start off with what is a Cypress card?
I am worried about being able to carry the big bitch on too, but dont care to leave it in "their" hands. I have never had lost luggage or anything but this would be the time no wouldn't it/[:/] Im sick thinking about it
"GOT LEAD?"

to start off with what is a Cypress card?

Airtec supplies a card which shows what the Cypres looks like installed in a rig through an x-ray machine. The idea is, you can give it to the screener and it will explain what they are seeing on their monitor.

I am worried about being able to carry the big bitch on too, but dont care to leave it in "their" hands. I have never had lost luggage or anything but this would be the time no wouldn't it/[:/] Im sick thinking about it

Mine's not quite as big a bitch (a G3 with a 190 main and 176R in it), but it fit easily in the somewhat small bin on the MD-80. I was expecting problems too - so I showed up at the airport 2 hours ahead - I ended up breezing through security in 5 minutes and surfing dropzone.com for an hour and a half before boarding the plane. Hopefully it'll go as smoothly for you as it did for me.

Blue Skies

If you are carrying it on, is it going to be small enough?
-Serious question.

Not a problem at all. I put mine in a small suitcase along with my alti, gloves, etc. it fits perfectly in every overhead bin in every airplane I've been on; 737’s, 767’s 777’s…
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I just flew from Fort Lauderdale to Houston, I wore my rig on my back like a back pack. The X-Ray process went smooth I had my cypress card out and the screener didnt even want to see it. I got a few funny looks but I think most people thought it was just a back pack. One of the stewardess's even complimented me on my nice back pack when I was getting off the flight. I put all my other gear in my checked luggage and it had a orange TSA sticker on it when i got it, I guess it was screened but no biggie.

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

I had a giggle flying out of my local airport earlier in the year. They x-rayed my rig and freeze framed on it and blew it up for everyone to stand round and look at. I moved a little close and asked if they wanted to know what it was.

Supervisor proudly announced that she could see quite clearly what it was - it was climbing equipment and I could go on my way.

Er...yeah... that's right... climbing equipment.... I'll just go on my way then... cheers. :)

Everytime I've flown with my gear in the past three months TSA has been totally nice and cooperative. I guess they finally know what these rigs look like.

I flew to the WFFC on DELTA and Delta Connection Carriers ACA and Chatauqua. My little Mirage G3 MT size fit in the overheads on the 737-200 on Delta as well as the Fairchild-Dornier 328 Jet on Atlantic Coast Airlines and the Embraer145 on Chatauqua. The other rig I checked in a small Travelpro Rollerboard case in Houston, I put the rig in its kitbag and laid the TSA letter on top of the kitbag. TSA did open the bag and swab it after it went through the EDS equipment but that was it. They even locked up the case for me. On the return flight at Champaign-Urbana they just swabbed down my checked bags and also allowed me to lock the bag that had my other rig in it.

By the way on the flight to Champaign from CVG on the FRJ, Tim from Fort Lauderdale and "Muff Brother" Johnny Gates plus myself all had our rigs in the overhead and they fit just fine.

To sum up just take the TSA documentation with you with your rig or rigs, get to the airport early and be cool. In my experience and others who have posted here TSA has their act together on this now.

Chris

My Mirage 210/193R barely fit on the smaller planes and barely makes the size for most airlines.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

My fav was on a trip where security x-rayd it and the screener froze it and stared with a confuded look for about 15 seconds. He shruged his shouldersand then let it through. Great security! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Supervisor proudly announced that she could see quite clearly what it was - it was climbing equipment and I could go on my way.

Er...yeah... that's right... climbing equipment.... I'll just go on my way then... cheers. :)

My wife and I had a couple of screeners look at our rigs on the screen, nudge each other, laugh, and say " Oh right, excercise equipment!" They way they were laughing, I think they were thinking high speed bondage gear.:D