BaronVonBoll

contempt for "A" licences

last two weekends i decided to leave the confort of my HOME DZ and see what some other DZs might be like I took a little road trip and went to three new (for me) DZs. In each case it was very similar. I went in to the manifest and signed in. Gave all my info and repack certification etc, paid my jump fees. everyone was friendly. I am a gregarious individual to start with, so I introduced myself to everyone a I met. Everyone was welcoming until they asked the question "What licence do you have?" As soon as I answered "A" people walked away. No body asked how many jumps what rig do you have nothing! they just didnt want anything to do with an "A" licence holder. Very strange. I ended up sitting in the hanger watching TV all by myself, and more to the point jumping by myself at each drop zone. Is this behavior common at most drop zones? Should I just stay at my home DZZ until I have a "C" licence and a coach rating?

last two weekends i decided to leave the confort of my HOME DZ and see what some other DZs might be like I took a little road trip and went to three new (for me) DZs.

It varies a lot between different dropzones!
Doubly difficult for me at first, because I was deaf, but I kept jumping and jumping! (Although I did too many solos before jump #100, but I was trying to get 100 jumps in less than 6 months before attending a deaf boogie called Deaf World Record)

To make things a little easier, you can look for novice-league events listed on dropzone calendars, sometimes they have weekends specifically for novices for accuracy and 3-ways, that sort of thing. They can be icebreakers. Dropzones are sometimes a little uncomfortable about an unfamiliar A licensee. Once you attend such an event, more people will probably jump with you at that 'new' dropzone.

Nahhhhh..... You don't need to wait until the C license. I find that the 100 jump level and the B license is when things start to really change for many new skydivers when they travel. (BTW -- I noticed this helps too: Adding a little tunnel time, so you can be able to boast that you also did tunnel too, also helps people feel more comfortable jumping with a low-timer.) Hang in there a little longer, it does get better.

That said, some small dropzones, and/or smaller boogies make provisions to keep the A license people happy. Free coaching at some dropzones. Such events can be good ice breakers. Once people see how current you are (especially if all your A jumps were recent), they will jump with you despite you being A. Or, try going to student-popular Cessna dropzones too, the kind that forces everyone to wait on the ground, and has lots of A and B license people chatting to each other waiting two hours for their next load.

Your answer could even become "67 jumps and getting ready to get my B license" or if you have started to do many 4-way jumps still as an A, your answer could be spun to "55 jumps, with last 20 jumps being 4-ways at home. I'm about to apply for my B soon." Evade the mention of the license until the end of the sentence. Although some dropzones have free coach jumps, other require you to pay slot or pay an additional fee. You can also occasionally pay for one coach jump, then a good coach feels tipped/obligated to 'matchmake' you with other resident dropzone jumpers. ("Now that you've jumped with me, can you recommend some buddies that would be happy to fun jump with me?") ... Some of these may go nowhere, but works well at some others.

Hang in there, it gets much better. Less effort once you get your B and pass that 100 jump milestone *splat* -- the yummy "banana cream pie in your face" moment.

Also stay at bonfire evenings. People are less jump-hungry and more willing to chat and get to know a newbie, especially if you're a very social guy.

No it's not like that at all DZ's. My home DZ has a Rw and FF organizer that works with all skill levels, and alot fun jumpers thatwill jump with anybody! Some Dz's are like you talk about though. You should not give up on other DZ's untill you have more jumps.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I jump with A license people quite often. I usually do a 2-way with them first to check out their skills before I bring them into a larger group though.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Interesting. I've never been asked what license I hold, although there have been some funny looks when they learned that I still hold the "A" license I purchased in 1987. As long as you're not trying to get into something you're not yet ready for it doesn't matter what license you hold or how many jumps you have or what rig you're jumping or how current you are.

Cheers,
Jon S.

last two weekends i decided to leave the confort of my HOME DZ and see what some other DZs might be like I took a little road trip and went to three new (for me) DZs. In each case it was very similar. I went in to the manifest and signed in. Gave all my info and repack certification etc, paid my jump fees. everyone was friendly. I am a gregarious individual to start with, so I introduced myself to everyone a I met. Everyone was welcoming until they asked the question "What licence do you have?" As soon as I answered "A" people walked away. No body asked how many jumps what rig do you have nothing! they just didnt want anything to do with an "A" licence holder. Very strange. I ended up sitting in the hanger watching TV all by myself, and more to the point jumping by myself at each drop zone. Is this behavior common at most drop zones? Should I just stay at my home DZZ until I have a "C" licence and a coach rating?

Your situation is not unique. Not every DZ ignores the NGs.
Remember that skydiving is expensive and not everyone has the funds or desire to jump with NGs.
Don't take it personally - they do it to every NG.
You will find those that will jump with NGs, but there are not that many.

See Newbie Blues

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

yeah i get sideways looks sometimes when someone asks me to sign a log book and i put my a 14048 down they will have this puzzled look and ask HOW many jumps do you have keith? I just smile and say not sure 11 12 hundred somewhere around there:D

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Check out some of the smaller C182 dropzones.

With only 5 slots on the plane, its a mixed bag everytime. One jump I can be doing some basic RW with a freshly licensed jumper, the next I'm going for a track with someone that has 5000+ jumps.

We threw a 4-way out yesterday, experience as follows

1. 30 jumps
2. 130 jumps (me)
3. 1500 jumps
4. 11,000 jumps

Hi Roger,
"Roger That!!" Too bad these "other" DZ's were showin' their geek side! Little do they remember that they were there once and probably not long ago!! 'Havn't jumped in a while because of a almost blown deltoid but I'll be back soon. Some of the new faces at the DZ will probably shun this "new guy" but they will be mildly surprised. "Hey buddy, how can I get one of those cool hats?" Too bad you weren't out at Raeford, we'd a' blown their socks off!!

Back a few cases of Beer ago when I hung out in So. Cal. tryin' to get on "Good Loads" was sometimes a drag so I started jez' gettin' some friends together and organizin' my own. Got to the point where I couldn't even do a 4-way!!!! I was fillin' 4 Otters a Sunday afternoon!! It got so bad that DC-9 Pat said,"Hey Bill, you bring manifest at least 8 paid for tickets and your slot is on us!!" Are we having fun yet??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

No it's not like that at all DZ's. My home DZ has a Rw and FF organizer that works with all skill levels, and alot fun jumpers thatwill jump with anybody! Some Dz's are like you talk about though. You should not give up on other DZ's untill you have more jumps.

JohnDeere is full of it. he won't jump with anybody unless they have a D and a world record. :P.

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

JohnDeere is full of it. he won't jump with anybody unless they have a D and a world record. :P.

Oh shit i got called out:$ Hush up you damn rookie:P:D
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I call bullshit!:P I jumped with ya, and I am a lowly B license!

There are always exceptions!:D:D You dont suck. He does:|:D:)

:D:D You must have lied about you license. ;) and yeah I do. B|

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

If your jump numbers are correct in your profile you're very close to your B license. Get your water training in, take your B license test. Hopefully you've been working on your accuracy landings for your B (landed within 10 meters of target center on 10 jumps).

Unfortunately, some DZs are more cliquey than others. One thing you should do when you visit a different DZ is ask at manifest to speak to an instructor or coach to get a DZ briefing. This gives you the opportunity to meet at least one person on a "professional" level. When they are done going over the DZ brief (landing pattern, aerial photo, outs, aircraft procedures, exit order, etc) ask them if they could introduce you to someone that you could jump with.

If you're ever in Ohio and make it to AerOhio I'd be happy to jump with you also.

That's weird. I am more used to people asking how many jumps one has when coming to a new dropzone. I am 9 years into an A license still :)

And that question is less valid than ever, except in the sense that it counts your exits and canopy rides. There are people with a tiny fraction of my jump numbers, but lots of tunnel time, who'll outfly me easily.

That sucks Baron! I was in the same boat I went to Skydive city Saturday I only had 31 jumps and have only been on 2 ways but Mike Wolfe the load organizer talked to me a while asked me about my tracking skills then took me up on my first six way! then a 4 way:Dhad a blast

I really got to do something about my fall rate though[:/]

That sucks. I have a "D" license, and I'll jump with anyone (unless they have a really crappy attitude.)

I jump with the LO's at Perris a lot, and as long as you have a license, they'll welcome you to jump with them. They usually have multiple LO's so the less experienced don't end up on jumps they can't handle.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

I can't add much to what's already been said about the sucky-ness of what you encountered. I find it embarrassing that that happened.

If anything, take this lesson from it (and I'm sure you will): pay it forward. In time, be one of those experienced jumpers who makes being a newbie a joy. At my student DZ a generation ago, most male newbies were treated like pestilence. I swore I wouldn't do that to newbies once I was experienced myself. I've never forgotten that lesson.