pojj

when to wingsuit

When you have talked to your wingsuiting friends and tried on the gear and learned what it takes... And you can honestly say to yourself, "I can handle all of this new stuff, without having to worry about all the old stuff because it is second nature", you will be ready. That means you have to be able to do a normal skydive "in your sleep" as a natural thing without thought.

I have seen a first wingsuit work well on someone's 100th jump (not advised) and on their 500th jump.

The most important thing is to keep your suit and your rig color-coordinated. A fashion faux pas can be dangerous.

absolutely. first things first though. the first piece of equipment you should buy is a closing pin necklace, then rig, then wingsuit, helmet, goggles, and finally altimeter. (all in that order)

The most important thing is to keep your suit and your rig color-coordinated. A fashion faux pas can be dangerous.

absolutely. first things first though. the first piece of equipment you should buy is a closing pin necklace, then rig, then wingsuit, helmet, goggles, and finally altimeter. (all in that order)

With only 6 jumps, what the hell do you know?.... you forgot the most important and first thing to buy... the skydiving tattoo. Seriously, how could you leave that out??? Such irresponsibility! :P

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

how many jumps should you have before taking on a wingsuit course;)

How many jumps have you heard?

Because the ;) after your question makes me think you have your own answer already. I know you're pretty new in this sport. Welcome aboard. Learn as much as you can, but listen to people if they tell you to slow down a little. :)
As a direct answer to your question, I've heard 200 jumps is the minimum number most people consider necessary to start wingsuiting. I've seen at least one person with more than that have an almost disastrous first w/s jump.:S

500 jumps is the recommended minimum. 200 is the "out" for students who are particularly talented, have a mentor, and who have folks willing to stand up for them.

Below that is not considered to be acceptable, no matter how talented you are. Simply because you need too much luck to wingsuit reasonably safely with fewer jumps.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

With only 6 jumps, what the hell do you know?.... you forgot the most important and first thing to buy... the skydiving tattoo. Seriously, how could you leave that out??? Such irresponsibility! :P

Don't forget the "I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane" shirt.
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

500 jumps is the recommended minimum. 200 is the "out" for students who are particularly talented, have a mentor, and who have folks willing to stand up for them.

I didn't know that. I know 2 instructors that say 200. Maybe it's because I was "particularly talented.";)

It just goes to show how new it still is. There is still the debate in the USPA as to what should or shouldn't be done to oversee wingsuit instruction.

I didn't know that. I know 2 instructors that say 200. Maybe it's because I was "particularly talented.";)

It just goes to show how new it still is. There is still the debate in the USPA as to what should or shouldn't be done to oversee wingsuit instruction.

Just remember that the 1st fatality this year happened with a 2nd time wingsuiter with 103 jumps.

Just remember that the 1st fatality this year happened with a 2nd time wingsuiter with 103 jumps.

Never forgot it a bit.[:/]

With only 2 W/S jumps myself, I certainly don't have an expert opinion on how many jumps should be required. I just go with what my instructors tell me. :)

Just be sure you let people know I required you to show me your logbook. :P Just cuz DZ.com sez you have more than 200 jumps doesn't mean you do.
One guy that left our DZ last year had around 1500 jumps when he was let go. Here on DZ.com, he's got more than 4000 jumps only 18 months later.:D

200 with coach, with FFC, with beginning level wingsuit are recommended at minimum. I sometimes recommend a tracking dive with the low-time jumpers to evaluate them before putting them in a wingsuit.

One guy that left our DZ last year had around 1500 jumps when he was let go. Here on DZ.com, he's got more than 4000 jumps only 18 months later.:D

I know a guy who went from Gold Wings (1000 jumps) to over 2000 in only 6 months, and that was with his rig in the closet.:D A jumper from his old DZ wondered where he really got the first 1000.:| I really hate those kind of BS'ers.>:(

I know a guy who went from Gold Wings (1000 jumps) to over 2000 in only 6 months, and that was with his rig in the closet.:D A jumper from his old DZ wondered where he really got the first 1000.:| I really hate those kind of BS'ers.>:(

isnt there like a, well, real well known guy around here!? i think he did step back tough after he got called out on it.. :D

thats the good thing with us (honest) lowtimers, we add every fucking jump to our profile.. :D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

isnt there like a, well, real well known guy around here!? i think he did step back tough after he got called out on it.. :D

thats the good thing with us (honest) lowtimers, we add every fucking jump to our profile.. :D:D:D

It goes something like this, jump, land, drop parachute in the packing room, log onto dz.com, +1 to the jump profile, grab another parachute, repeat B|
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!