Atmodude

Atmonauti

Look at the rig that appeares to obtain lift and the depression behind it:
http://www.airtoair.it/paracadutismo.it/sacca.jpg

Look at the t-shirt in which direction goes end the depression below the left arm:
http://www.airtoair.it/paracadutismo.it/maglietta.jpg

Check the atmo-tandem whithout drog (in any case the vertical speed is about 160-170 kmph):
http://www.airtoair.it/paracadutismo.it/atmotandem.jpg

I'm not totally skeptical about atmo flying, although its proponents do tend to over-hype it.

Some of the links don't seem to show anything out of the ordinary. The evidence of lift in the photos seems like it could be the same as during tracking, or indeed from simple 'base drag' or burble in vertical belly to earth flying. And some guy leaves his harness a bit loose, big deal.

However compared to tracking and vertical belly fly, the wind direction in the photos is largely aligned with the upper body, or coming at say 0 to 20 degrees below the line of the upper body. I don't know what that implies for any of the atmo arguments.

As for descent rates, I'd want to see something like Protrack traces for atmo vs. tracking, whether it is for tandem or just regular jumpers.

From the theoretical standpoint I don't see huge objections to the idea of atmonauti being somewhat efficient in terms of upwards force, keeping fall rates low while still providing a lot of forward speed. Some '60s US wind tunnel studies did show similar peak lift to drag ratios for two different body positions:
a) a straight body position similar to tracking and
b) bent forward at the waist (sometimes with lower legs aligned more with the body than the upper legs), which is atmonauti-like.
(Angles of attack were varied to find the best for each condition.)

In other words, one can get efficient flight (low descent rates and fast forward motion) either with a flat body position, or one with a a lot of forward bend at the waist. Both can work. (I figure largely because humans aren't really acting as unstalled airfoils --- it is all post-stall, vortex, or flat plate sort of lift, without getting into the details.)

Part of the problem in the atmo argument is understanding what is being argued. Is it that atmo isn't as efficient as it is claimed (compared to tracking), or just that it is over hyped as capital-A Atmonauti? (Something like it used to be with Olav and "his" "Freeflying".)

Have not done this enough times to reach any conclusion, but I have tried the atmonauti position during 6-8 tracking jumps. I noticed that I went ahead and up. Like if I was getting more fwd speed and less fallrate. Is that the norm or is it just me?
I read somewhere that it was the opposite when comparing atmo vs track...
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Babelfish translated Atmonauti: Freefalling while contorting your body at awkawrd angles to attain various degrees of lateral movement.

Since when is the Atmonauti position awkward?

Now, I'm skeptical about Atmonauti being potentially more efficient than a conventional max track but for group dives it is a position that is easy, relaxed, efficient and allows great flexibility of movement for taking grips.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I didn't read theentire thread so excuseme if it's alreadybeen said....

Guys...It seems simple to me...it's just an approach angle difference with a name attached. Kinda like:

Head at 0 degrees off the Vertical = Sitfly
Head at 180 degrees off the Vertical = Head-Down

Head at ~45 degrees off the Horizontal = Atmonauti

What's the big deal? Why knock somebody that's having fun? Most freeflyers are flying Atmo when they start trying to go head down anyway...which is really funny (unless you're the one in the sky with them at the time.)

Oh...wait. Belly flyers did that knocking thing when those crazy kids started trying to control the flailing without getting over onto their bellies.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I didn't read theentire thread so excuseme if it's alreadybeen said....

Guys...It seems simple to me...it's just an approach angle difference with a name attached. Kinda like:

Head at 0 degrees off the Vertical = Sitfly
Head at 180 degrees off the Vertical = Head-Down

Head at ~45 degrees off the Horizontal = Atmonauti

What's the big deal? Why knock somebody that's having fun? Most freeflyers are flying Atmo when they start trying to go head down anyway...which is really funny (unless you're the one in the sky with them at the time.)

Oh...wait. Belly flyers did that knocking thing when those crazy kids started trying to control the flailing without getting over onto their bellies.

What I and some others are knocking is the people who claimed to have "invented" it and their blind faith followers.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If it's all about fun, then why have they been so quick to snub anyone who has done it before their "invention", or so ready to tell people that they are "doing it wrong"?

It's snobbery.

So what if they act like skygods.

what a crock of shit!!! I was joining in on some atmo big ways at a boogie in 2005. Anyone could join, in everyone was encouraged to join in. we did, we had fun and that is the size of it.

Flat flyers and freeflyers that think they are skygods and refuse to try other disciplines because they are scared of looking bad are the snobs of our sport.

atmonauti can be tried by all levels of skydivers (excluding students) and the best thing is that jumpers of all levels have a good chance of being part of the dive.

This is not the case for flat flyers and freeflyers.

If you sink our it is easy to get beck and if you are floating it is easy to get down.

You sceptics need to broaden your horizons and stop being such prudes.

:P

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

You make it sound like a religion. It's just another way to have fun. Who cares if someone says the "invented" it and others agree with them. It's not like they are trying to charge people money to do it.

Diablo cares a lot he invented the atmonauti and the wingsuit instructor years before and both were stolen by some army dudes and the italians. I swear he should have copywrited all documentation when he had the chance.:D:D:D.

I'm never going to do another Atmonauti, I will still do it but I will call it Funarimonuati!!!!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Just trying to keep any missplaced fun in its place.

Prudes my ass:P

We were "flocking" long before the "Atmonauti" dudes , and doing just the same thing, and thinking nothing of it. Having a ball, and NOT trying to suck the fun out.:P

Funny how time changes attitudes. ;)

You should really take a peek back at what you said years ago when this thread was first started. :D
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Same point (i.e. nothing new under the sun), new attitude (more of a jerk about it:P).

Shoulda seen me when Olav went around saying he "invented" freeflying and was going to trademark the term.B|

Shoulda seen me when Olav went around saying he "invented" freeflying and was going to trademark the term.B|

I was pissed off about that too.

I still see adverts for Olav videos that claim the term is trademarked.

I checked the US patent office today. Nothing for "freeflying", but for "freefly" there was an attempt to trademark it, but it is dead. Yet it is not in Olav's name either:

Word Mark FREEFLY
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: skydiving accessories, skydiving clothing, Vladiball freefall toy. FIRST USE: 20000810. FIRST USE
[...]
Filing Date September 17, 2003
[...]
Owner (APPLICANT) Kerry W. Vail INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES [email protected] 5832 E. Shiprock St. Apache Junction ARIZONA 85219
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date October 2, 2004

I practis every weekend Atmonauti in Italy, in the home DZ of the inventors

I guess the theory is, if people keep saying it, one day it must be true.

:|

What a joke.

Hey Jp, I like this joke so much! ;)
wanna joke with me?

In wikipedia it's write that you have invented Atmonauti... umm... :o ???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmonauti

You are very fun and beleve me, I like you.
For this reason I want to play a game with you!

Regarding your post above, effectively, saying Tiezzi is the inventor of angled flight, today many people think that it's true.

Marco told me as he descovered occasionally the angles and he presented this technique for the first time and as he teached this technique to many professionals as Babylon and many others and now, saying any day this story I believe it. [:/]

Do you really think that isn't true? What do you think about this story?

Have you the proof that you did Atmonauti before Marco?

Please help me!