beeman

sleeping on the ride up

At my DZ we have a 19-jumper Caravan, so we're sitting on the floor and we have to wear our seatbelts until 9,000 feet. Crammed in that tight and still strapped in, there are no gear checks possible, and definitely nobody walking through the plane. Sleeping is pretty much the only thing to do.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

JeffCa

At my DZ we have a 19-jumper Caravan, so we're sitting on the floor and we have to wear our seatbelts until 9,000 feet. Crammed in that tight and still strapped in, there are no gear checks possible, and definitely nobody walking through the plane. Sleeping is pretty much the only thing to do.

Why until 9,000?
cavete terrae.

grue

***At my DZ we have a 19-jumper Caravan, so we're sitting on the floor and we have to wear our seatbelts until 9,000 feet. Crammed in that tight and still strapped in, there are no gear checks possible, and definitely nobody walking through the plane. Sleeping is pretty much the only thing to do.

Why until 9,000?

Rules of the airport. We're guests on an airport owned by Honda. They tell us when we can take off, whether or not we can do hop-n-pops, when to wear our seat belt, they supply our pilots, etc. We're the biggest and busiest dropzone in Japan (of a staggering 3 in total), but no autonomy to run things the way we want.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

grue

***At my DZ we have a 19-jumper Caravan, so we're sitting on the floor and we have to wear our seatbelts until 9,000 feet. Crammed in that tight and still strapped in, there are no gear checks possible, and definitely nobody walking through the plane. Sleeping is pretty much the only thing to do.

Why until 9,000?

I disagree. A 16 man and 18 man caravan are responsible for the majority of my jumps. The others being a C-182 and a King Air. All of them are tight and I've gotten multiple checks (3-ring system & RSL, handles, chest and leg straps, and helmet) without too much problem. And on all but the 182 I've seen a vidiot walk all the way to the back of the plane to interview tandems. YMMV I guess.

Looks like most people take naps on the way up either way.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

NWFlyer

I don't sleep, but I often do close my eyes and zone out. It's more likely (especially if I'm training) that my eyes are closed so I can focus and visualize. Visualizing's free and helps me fly better. B|

Yeah definitely. I'll do that too, especially if I'm doing a dive that I know is going to be a challenge.
well...I was going skydiving anyway. let's go.
Earn your pancakes.

I've taken naps on plane rides, I even have pics of me taken because I "fell asleep" on the ride up, even during my journey to A and B license with coaches.

I'm not sleeping per se, I'm just relaxing and zoning out. I relax better like that, not only can I focus more after a bit of rest, but also it's easier to visualize the jump when I close my eyes. After I open my eyes, which is usually a couple of thousand feet before opening the door, I always check handles (about 23593285932895 times) before leaving the plane.

beeman

******At my DZ we have a 19-jumper Caravan, so we're sitting on the floor and we have to wear our seatbelts until 9,000 feet. Crammed in that tight and still strapped in, there are no gear checks possible, and definitely nobody walking through the plane. Sleeping is pretty much the only thing to do.

Why until 9,000?

I disagree.

Doesn't really matter if you disagree. When you're sandwiched in so tight that you can't move your arms or legs, there's not much to do. Any motion with the arms will start elbowing the person next to you. We stay as still as we can.

JeffCa

Doesn't really matter if you disagree. When you're sandwiched in so tight that you can't move your arms or legs, there's not much to do. Any motion with the arms will start elbowing the person next to you. We stay as still as we can.

Isn't this a little bit arrogant? My DZ has also 2 caravans, and sometimes we pack up to 19 people. I've been there, packed tight as hell. I still do my checks, just as everyone else. Nobody complains of "elbowing". Even if they do, I won't sacrifice my checks for not elbowing. So yes, I also disagree.

Deimian

Isn't this a little bit arrogant? My DZ has also 2 caravans, and sometimes we pack up to 19 people. I've been there, packed tight as hell. I still do my checks, just as everyone else. Nobody complains of "elbowing". Even if they do, I won't sacrifice my checks for not elbowing. So yes, I also disagree.

Yeah...I'm a fairly large corn-fed country boy - I can always 'find room' for my gear checks. In fact when in a super crunch like that - paranoia has me checking my main handle a LOT! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

skinnay

***I don't know what is worse, sleep on you way up or keep messing around with everyone in the plane the whole time..

I kind of prefer the second option, although some times I get some angry looks, by the quiet guys..

Honestly I don't think it's a big issue.. relaxation comes with experience..

I may be one of "the quiet people" you speak of. I am usually quiet because I'm focused on the jump and getting mentally prepared. I've also invested tens of thousands of dollars into tunnel time to have better jumps. I'm not against anyone having fun, but when someone is loud and obnoxious the entire way up, I can't focus on what I want to do. Since you already acknowledge getting dirty looks, I doubt you care, but you should consider that people are in different situations than you.

I usually know who I'm jumping with, and of course I take that in consideration before goofing around.. sometimes I just sit down trying to visualize my jump, or I take a quick nap..

But being honest, personally I think skydiving is a fun thing to do.. something to enjoy with your friends and people that you are jumping with... so goofing around kind of makes the whole experience more fun to me.. you know what I mean?!

Deimian

Arrogant? No. Rudely elbowing your fellow passengers while your knees are trapped between the people in front of you is not considered acceptable here.

Sacrificing gear checks? Are you serious? We check when we unbuckle. Why would you check your handle when you're scrunched that close anyway, if you can even reach it? If anything is going to loosen it, it's the time when everybody starts to move, so it negates your old check and you have to check again anyway.

You seriously think we're unsafe because we do our checks when we hit 9,000? How long do you need to do this? And FYI, I see way more pin-checking in our plane in Japan than I did at my time training in the USA. Nobody is exempt.

JeffCa

Arrogant? No. Rudely elbowing your fellow passengers while your knees are trapped between the people in front of you is not considered acceptable here.

Sacrificing gear checks? Are you serious? We check when we unbuckle. Why would you check your handle when you're scrunched that close anyway, if you can even reach it? If anything is going to loosen it, it's the time when everybody starts to move, so it negates your old check and you have to check again anyway.

You seriously think we're unsafe because we do our checks when we hit 9,000? How long do you need to do this? And FYI, I see way more pin-checking in our plane in Japan than I did at my time training in the USA. Nobody is exempt.

Well, I don't see any "rude elbowing" in our caravan. Nobody here moves like a bull, so with a little bit of mutual collaboration it works.

Why would you check your handle/s? Repetition and making habits so you never forget. Besides that, even if you can't check your PC, you can check straps, cutaway, reserve and 3 rings. I agree that the movement might negate the previous check on the PC, but not the other checks.

I don't think you are "unsafe" (what is the definition of safe and unsafe in skydiving anyway?). I am just saying that: a) repetition is important, and 9000ft is a lot of waste altitude for a couple of checks. b) In a packed caravan there is enough space for doing your checks, being packed does not justify the lack of checks during 9000ft.

Moreover: "Doesn't really matter if you disagree" is a pretty arrogant sentence in my opinion. It less polite version is "shut the fuck up, I don't need to hear what you are saying because I know better". And the condescending sentence that follows doesn't help either ("When you're sandwiched in so tight..."). Do you think nobody else here knows what is to be packed so tight?

We check when we unbuckle. Why would you check your handle when you're scrunched that close anyway, if you can even reach it? If anything is going to loosen it, it's the time when everybody starts to move, so it negates your old check and you have to check again anyway.

You seriously think we're unsafe because we do our checks when we hit 9,000?

Been over there a few times but haven't jump there...yet. ;)

Curious - are you saying you stay buckled until 9 grand...or just that 9000 is when gear checks are usually done?

pchapman

Curious - are you saying you stay buckled until 9 grand...or just that 9000 is when gear checks are usually done?

Airport rules -- post #28 -- seatbelts on until 9k'. :S

Wow...some differences in culture obviously.

I used to love napping on DC-3s. The long ride up and deep radial hum was perfect. But if anything happened at all, everybody would wake up real quick (like one time the engine noise stopped completely - everyone was not only wide awake, but on their feet 'til the pilot got things back to normal). Nowadays the ride is so much quicker, but it's still nice to close the eyes and zone a bit.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

There is nothing like being sound asleep in the "hole" of the Otter, only to wake up as your teammates exit! Slap on gloves and helmet, quick gear check, and bomb out the door!!!

Only to realize you have no f@@ckin' clue what the first point is or where you should go...... Just that vacant stare at your teammates who can hardly fly straight because they are laughing so hard and pointing!

I still doze off a bit in the plane, but not like I used to.

Jump more, post less!

topdocker

There is nothing like being sound asleep in the "hole" of the Otter, only to wake up as your teammates exit! Slap on gloves and helmet, quick gear check, and bomb out the door!!!

Only to realize you have no f@@ckin' clue what the first point is or where you should go...... Just that vacant stare at your teammates who can hardly fly straight because they are laughing so hard and pointing!

I still doze off a bit in the plane, but not like I used to.

Did a NorCal airshow demo a few years back...used a Saratoga with no door. Photog from the Sacramento fish wrap sniveled a ride to take some aerials of the site & some 'action' shots of us two jumping.

Put a rig on him and strapped his terrified ass to the floor by the door...engine cranks & I'm out - Zzzzzzzz!

My partner gives me a shake on jump run, I check handles and dive out.

Plane lands and I go to retrieve the rig - d00d shows me like 75 pics of me sleeping, one of my partner spotting & one of the bottoms of my Nikes 2 inches out the door! lol :ph34r:

Closest I come to sleeping is after a day and a half teaching the FJC when I am tired, and yawning like anyone's business on the ride up. But I must confess that the jealous looks my students tend to give me are priceless. :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

but I can't imagine the desire to sleep on the plane ride up.

Its a normal reaction for some to a stressful situation. The precursor to adrenaline is dopamine, which can cause drowsiness. Jumping for my whole career in the army, on any typical airborne operation 1/4 of the guys on the plane are puking due to stress/airsickness (google nap of the earth flying), 1/4 have their heads banging out to music in ear plugs, and half are asleep.
I was usually one of the guys asleep, unless I was safety or jumpmaster for the load.