Tuna-Salad

Ever attempted to make a phone call in free fall or under canopy?

Sure I have [:/]

but my network settings were automatic so the stupid phone did connect to nearby country provider with no access

However, it was really interesting - the way I've treated phone = like it's my life :D

What goes around, comes later.

Just because you can...

I took Outlaw Dave (Houston rock jock) on a tandem at the old Spaceland and we called the studio hotline under canopy for a live bit. It worked out pretty well until about 1500 feet when the call dropped.

I always wondered what listeners thought when the phone suddenly went dead.:D:D:o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I took Dave the Dwarf on a tandem years ago, the radio station decided not to support the event (he was a contractor for them), so we did the jump anyway and he called into the morning show from under canopy,

it was a hoot. Even the DJ's called in sick that morning so they could come out and watch it. Instead of a radio-station-supported event, they had the fill-in DJ's do the actual show and everyone who normally worked the morning show called in from outside.

Just because you can...

There used to be a guy at Phoenix/ZHills in the early 90's that opened at full altitude and talked on his ham radio gear. I think maybe 6-meter or 2-meter band Can't remember his name but he was there quite often.

I've thought about it for 2-3 years now. BUt if you were to bring a 3G telephone in freefall, you could do a live skydive and show it to someone =D

Maybe u should put on a fullface and use a bluetooth device.... ;)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I once had the phone ring on me under canopy, but it was in my shorts pocket under the legstrap, so I could not answer. I think I would have otherwise. Did return the call first thing after landing.

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

I heard once of a guy who called manifest on his way down to see if he could get on the next load...

He didn't understand why they grounded him for the day for being unsafe.

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

I've used both my cell phone and 2 meter ham radio for air to ground coordination of demos. I usually put the phone in my jumpsuit pocket on hands free and leave it like that through the freefall and then talk on my way down under canopy which is blasted over the PA at the event. My cell has always worked so I don't know why your doesn't work above certain altitudes. I have also used my cell from mountain tops to ground level cell towers so I know the altitude has nothing to do with it. Maybe you have ATT for a provider LOL...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I'm too busy watching out for other canopys:S sounds like another good way to kill yourself or someone else though

seriously people this is one of the main reasons I sold my motorcycle>:(

Oh well then what ever you do, don't watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9bmX6_ny4 I'm buisier than an octopus in an ass kicking contest...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Um, why would I want to? Why would anyone want to?[:/]

Manifest for the next load that you are getting on when you land.....duh:D:ph34r:

Nice! ;)
=--{O}------------------{O}---] D.S.#111 VSCR # 123

Mother's Day, 1996, I think. I had probably 80 or 90 jumps. I tethered my cell phone to my chest strap, tucked it inside my jumpsuit and did a hop & pop from about 5,000 ft under some nasty clouds. Pulled out my cell phone (an old Nokia) and tried to call my mom.

For some reason I couldn't get the phone to work reliably, but as I'm trying to dial it, there was snow from the squall cloud I was flying under collecting in the button indents. I decided "Hey, stupid, fly somewhere else!", put the phone away and landed.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19