benpat

What's YOUR hard deck??

2500.. if i dont have a canopy thats S^3 ( square, stable, and steerable) at 2500 feet, im chopping and going to reserve.

i like this whole being able to skydive each weekend thing. :)
Lower, and you could run the risk of not getting enough fabric out. at elast thats what i was told.. and ill fly with it.

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

yea, its jsut a safety practice my instructor taught me, and i really liked it. i dont think i would like going under 2500 w/o a good canopy.

well. maybe once i have a c or d license.. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

mine is 1.5k. and yours will change as you get more jumps, i dont pull til 2.5k lol

Same here.

I used to pull my main right at 2K, sometimes a hair lower for hundreds of jumps.

Nowadays with 2 girls at home, 2.5K and sometimes 3K if we get hosed on the spot.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

initiating main: 3500ft

deciding to pull silver (not without going for "oh sit") at 1500: that should give me plenty of time..

oh, and maybe, dont do that drill while over a forest or some hill; THAT might fuck up your day, to a WHOLE NEW LEVEL.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

...How many feet does it take for a reserve to deploy in a high/low speed malfunction anyway?

Reserves can open in as little as 250', even less. Sometimes they might take a little more room, so don't cut it that close. I've chopped as low as ~1200' from a spinner. Everything was fine, but I had to pick a landing spot fairly quickly. ;) I always arch when I cutaway and I use an RSL, so I tend to get nice, fast, clean reserve openings.

1800'

I don't like pulling below 3k, just due to the fact that I love hop adn pops, and as I have moved to the katana, I prefer to have a bit of time before entering my pattern at ~1700'.

Although, will I get out at 2K? in a heartbeat.....but ready to deal with anything immediately.

1,800 as per the MINIMUM recommended by the US SIM for B-D license holders. I'd particularly encourage anyone with less than 1,000 jumps that uses a number lower than this to think through it carefully. 1,800 is pretty damn low as is when things are going really badly.

The time for the reserve to open is less the issue than the time to recognize a problem and react.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Mine's 1800 feet...I've used it 3 times. It's just an altitude I've chosen.........How many feet does it take for a reserve to deploy in a high/low speed malfunction anyway? Is there any one out there with hard facts?...Thanks.

No good canopy by 2000 = reserve procedure

Keep fucking up all the way down to 1000 feet: straight to reserve.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Mine's 1800 feet...I've used it 3 times. It's just an altitude I've chosen.........How many feet does it take for a reserve to deploy in a high/low speed malfunction anyway? Is there any one out there with hard facts?...Thanks.

incorrect terminology... you are (in later posts) explaining you mean decision height...

hard deck is the lowest altitude at which you will simply pull no matter what the fuck else is happening (e.g. people above you, whatever, at your hardeck, if they are still there, they eat your pilot chute)

that being said, my harddeck is 12-1300 ... if I'm there, and your still above me, fuck you, eat this ...

Hard deck to me means the altitude I will not violate without deploying. That being said, I violated it once.

My hard deck for the main (135 Stiletto) is 1800. (Normal throw-out is at 2500).

With a mal, it depends on what is happening. Nasty high speed stuff would get chopped immediately (usually in the saddle at 1800). Something I think is fixable, I work it to 1200 at the lowest. Below 1200 it's silver handle time.

If for some reason I found myself in freefall at 1200, straight to silver.

Not qualified for this to be advice; it's just what I do. I run thru this in my head every single plane ride.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

In the day, it used to be C-182's and on those winter days when you could only get 5000ft, you would take a 4 way off and turn 4 or 5 points and break at somewhere just above 2000ft track for a couple of seconds and pull. But those canopies did not snivel and opened in 300 to 400 feet. If you had anything that sniveled like the canopies of today you would chop it and still be under reserve by 800-1000ft. With today's canopies the snivel is normal but it also could get you in the mindset that "well it's a little bit of a long snivel but it will catch soon". I am amazed at how varied the opening DISTANCE is from one jump to another. Pull at the same altitude over and over and you get 400ft difference.

So the short of it.....1982 Deland jumping stratostar routinely pull at 1500ft.....2009 Stiletto 120 pull at 3000ft + or - a couple. And straight to reserve if below 2000ft.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"