Telek

Runway strobes for night operations?

Hello, does anyone have any good links or information on what type of lighting is recommended for Runway End Identification Lights? I'm curious about what is safe and usable but also inexpensive. Our pilot doesn't seem to care much, as long as he can see them, so I'm wondering what other people have used in the past.

Thanks!

REILs are always flashing lights (usually strobes.) It would be a good idea to use standard runway lighting; that way you don't confuse pilots expecting the standard lighting scheme.

The lights that I'm looking for are specifically for the end of the runway - we have retro reflectors that work great for the runway itself. Aside from that it's a private airport and the only pilots that fly at night already use the reflectors and are aware that we want to put strobes at the ends of the runway.

Just make sure you're searching for the right thing. Runway End Identifier Lights are flashing white lights at the corners. End Lights are steady lights along the ends of the runway. Green at the near end, red at the far end.

Many small airports don't have either type.

Dave

Hello, does anyone have any good links or information on what type of lighting is recommended for Runway End Identification Lights? I'm curious about what is safe and usable but also inexpensive. Our pilot doesn't seem to care much, as long as he can see them, so I'm wondering what other people have used in the past.

Thanks!

For years and years I landed a C182 over 2 parked cars (about 30 yards apart) with lights on facing down the runway. :D While not a perfect setup, it was inexpensive as a REIL.

Thanks!

Power Flare. I've used these for marking DZs for military night jumps and can say from personal experience that they can be seen from 25k feet AGL at night. They come in varying color LEDs(white,green,red,orange, etc) and strobe patterns for just about any application. They are also practically indestructible and can be submerged farther than most will ever dive and still work. They are Battery operated and run about $40 bucks a pop.

The other lights I could recommend are used by the Airforce for marking runways but are far from inexpensive.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING