Tomcat933

Why was that so fun?

Last sunday when i showed up at the DZ, a cloud ceiling at about 4 grand kept the first load or two relatively low. I needed a hop and pop from 3500 as a requirement for my A license, so i figured it would be a good opportunity to get it out of the way. I wasn't really looking forward to it,

this was my nineteenth jump, and after multiple 45 second free falls, jumping out and yanking the cord didn't seem too exciting. But for some reason, i really enjoyed it. I ended up making two more jumps that day, both from 10500, making my first dock on one of them, but

for some reason, the jump from last weekend that stands out the most in my mind is the hop and pop! I think that this is partly due to the fact that, even after 21 jumps, i still get a little scared and stressed out when i hear Door! This fear factor was simply not there

for this jump, and i think the lack of it allowed me to enjoy and vividly remember every aspect of it. Anyone else, swoopers not included, big fans of hop and pops?

I like the full altitude H&P at sunset. Low ones are good but nothing beats a little XC on the last load.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I find it interesting when people approach a hop and pop for the first time. I started out with IAD so my very first jump was climbing out on the step at 3500'. I knew and loved canopy rides before I knew freefall.

At a small DZ I fly with the tandems when I'm the 5th, but if the tandem has a video on a fuel load I find going solo from 10500 is boring. Hop & pop it is!

-Michael

Wow that seems really low for a first jump student.

No not really...if ya were to have any problems, ya got the rest of your life to fix it! ;)

When Airwarto started, they didn't have those fancy square parachutes, only the rounds, and rounds open fast.

They generally put out SL students a little higher these days.

;)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Love H&Ps! Low or high is fine with me. Sunset load full altitude H&P is a great way to close out a hectic day of RW.

One of my most memorable H&Ps was full altitude SUNRISE flag jump on Memorial Day 2009. The rest of the day was a bit anti-climactic after this jump.

Be sure that the pilot knows what you are planning... sometimes you will get a different spot than the freefallers if going all the way up.

Hint: If doing a full altitude H&P in summer after a long hot sweaty day.... wear a DRY shirt. It can be a long chilly jump in the cooler air if wearing a sweat soaked shirt.

After you have solid canopy flight skills, full altitude H&P cross country jumps on days with strong upper winds are DA BOMB. (Take your cell phone and $20 cash in case you land out....in an adjacent county!)

The ultimate H&P fun is canopy relative wortk (CReW).

Of course for all of the above seek and heed the advice of the S&TA!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

No not really...if ya were to have any problems, ya got the rest of your life to fix it! ;)

When Airwarto started, they didn't have those fancy square parachutes, only the rounds, and rounds open fast.

;)

Yeah, and when "Twardo stared the Pteradactyls had a hard time climbing higher with a full load;)

H&Ps are lots of fun. The subterminal openings are a little different, slower and smoother.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Agreed 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love hop & pops and canopy piloting so much that ive started into CRW, nothing more fun then trying to slam nylon into other people :D

The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

;)

Yeah, and when "Twardo stared the Pterodactyls had a hard time climbing higher with a full load;)

H&Ps are lots of fun. The sub-terminal openings are a little different, slower and smoother.

Yeah...and 'BirdMan' had a whole different meaning! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So on one of these "cross county" full altitudes hop & pops, how far off the airport do you usually spot the airplane? Also, if you weren't trying to do the cross country thing, and got out over the dropzone, wouldn't a high altitude hop and pop get really long and uncomfortable? I mean thats got to be close to fifteen minutes of canopy flight unless you're doing tons of spirals.

So on one of these "cross county" full altitudes hop & pops, how far off the airport do you usually spot the airplane? Also, if you weren't trying to do the cross country thing, and got out over the dropzone, wouldn't a high altitude hop and pop get really long and uncomfortable? I mean that's got to be close to fifteen minutes of canopy flight unless you're doing tons of spirals.

One day grasshopper....you too will have gear that fits and is comfortable! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So on one of these "cross county" full altitudes hop & pops, how far off the airport do you usually spot the airplane? Also, if you weren't trying to do the cross country thing, and got out over the dropzone, wouldn't a high altitude hop and pop get really long and uncomfortable? I mean thats got to be close to fifteen minutes of canopy flight unless you're doing tons of spirals.

That's why you bring a beer along to take your mind off the harness chafing:P
I got nuthin