Tuna-Salad

Instructors.. question:

Ever had a tandem or AFF that refused to jump? I saw the expression on an AFF go from smiling and joy to absolute horror when she stood up and looked out the window recently. On a load after I saw a tandem grab the door as they were leaning foreward as a last ditch effort to stop the skydive. I have the video.. it's pretty funny to me because I think at times... we have all been there.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Both! I had one tandem look out the window at about 8K and turn to me and say "Don't bother hooking me up! I'm not going!". I also had an AFF student on check-in for exit ask if she could try again if she rode the plane down. Not my only refusals, just the ones that stand out. My opinion, both tandem and AFF, No means No!

The first AFF student I ever had go cluck cluck in the door was, ummmm, me... I got out that same day but the first look out the door really freaked me out cuz I am scared of heights and airplanes - now I am a senior instructor at a major DZ with 4,000 jumps, so I am very understanding when it comes to nerves. We have all been there at some level eh?
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

The first AFF student I ever had go cluck cluck in the door was, ummmm, me... I got out that same day but the first look out the door really freaked me out cuz I am scared of heights and airplanes - now I am a senior instructor at a major DZ with 4,000 jumps, so I am very understanding when it comes to nerves. We have all been there at some level eh?

canadian eh?
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

canadian eh?

NO!!! He is Mexican!!!!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:;)
"In this game you can't predict the future. You just have to play the odds. "-JohnMitchell

I will often strike up conversations with tandem passengers students and like to lighten the mood by reminding them that in the door, "No, No, No" sounds just like "Go, Go, Go" gets a chuckle now and then.

I'm not an instructor but have looked back to see some folks who definately were reconsidering their recent decisions. ;)

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

i also had a girl say to me at 8000', "no way,i am not going",i said okay, no worries, but i have to hook u up cos the door will be open.after the others had left, i said lets go to the door and take an exit photo, ok, so we slide to the door, legs outside,thumbs up .and smiles for the camera,she then turns to me and says,"lets go"! she loved it. moral is not always is their 1st decision final. give them another chance or 2

Yes to both.

It's only been a few times but were situations where I would have had to use force to get an unwilling student to exit. That I will not do.

Forcing a student to jump against his will is not only ethically wrong, but opens the instructor and the DZ to huge legal liability issues. A student being forced out is not waiving liability via informed consent.